Groaning, moaning noise at idle, any ideas??

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So lately I started hearing a groaningor whining noise. I seemed to notice it more when hot out and A/C was on. It would go away as A/c was off for awhile and engine temps dropped. You really dont hear noise outside car,especially with my exhaust and paxton whistling. Anyways, it sounds alot like a Power steering groan. But when I turn I dont hear noise, if I move steering noise doesnt increase. Its most noticed while driving slow speed, in parking lots and when at a stoplight idling. If I rev it, the whine increases with the rev. When Im in drivers seat, it seems its coming from engine area.

From past threads, ive seen there can be noisy power steering pumps or noisy fans. I really dont want to take to dealer even though its under warranty. I just dont trust dealers with my car. Especially with a Paxton on it. Too many horror stories. But I dont want to make the wrong guess. Any ideas from the experts.

Its a 2005, with 18k miles.
Thanks

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

When my first power steering pump (one installed by CAAP) went south it made a whining sound as you described. It never leaked but it failed in totallity when the viper tech was driving the car investigating the sound. Get it replaced soonest. By the way I haven't had anymore PS Pump issues after number 5. It was a misaligned pulley / belt causing all the failures.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably your buddy ILLSMOQ crying because his silver Viper is losing the poll about which color is nicer. Does it still do it when he is not around. :lmao:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike could it be the fan? Remember it is hydraulic.

Not sure, I mentioned in my thread, either fan or Pump. Ive read threads of both becoming very noisy. I guess wondering which is more common. All I know is it bugs me and Im afraid to have dealer touch car.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As as much experience I have had with PS Pumps I can about guarantee you it is the PS Pump. The whine get real real noticeable upward of 3K RPM? In my case on pump 1 it didn't matter if turning or not about producing the sound.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh ya, the PS Pump is about $330.00 at the dealer. It isn't hard to change if you don't want to have the dealer touch it. You'll have to detention the serpentine from under the car as your Paxton is now in the way. Remove the charge air cooler, the PS hoses, remove the three bolts holding the pump, remove and install the reservior tank on to the new pump, remove and install the pulley on to the new pump, and then reinstall everything. Recommend replacing your pressure hose, they are pretty much a one time use item I have found. The do not reseal very well.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably your buddy ILLSMOQ crying because his silver Viper is losing the poll about which color is nicer. Does it still do it when he is not around. :lmao:

:lmao:.......................................... :bleh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As as much experience I have had with PS Pumps I can about guarantee you it is the PS Pump. The whine get real real noticeable upward of 3K RPM? In my case on pump 1 it didn't matter if turning or not about producing the sound.

Well, you were right. I had been driving all day ,been on a cruise and was finishing up the day. I was on way home, got on freeway and as I came up on 3k rpms, I got a ear peircing noise. I was on the phone with ILLSMOQ and he said, "What was that noise"
As long as I kept it under 3k rpms, it was fine. So I went by his house and he had a listen as I rev past 3k rpms, he was able to pin point it to the P/S Pump. So Ill be ordering the stuff on Monday. At least now, I know what it is.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - You putting it in yourself? It's a cake walk if so. Just replace the pressure hose with it to save yourself a leak later on.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike - You putting it in yourself? It's a cake walk if so. Just replace the pressure hose with it to save yourself a leak later on.

Yes, well technically, if in me, you mean ILLSMOQ. :rolaugh:
Its sitting in his garage. Im going to call dealer Monday, Im hoping its a common pump used on other vehicles. That way they will hopefully have one in stock. I will get the hose too and some new fluid.

Thanks for your help.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, well technically, if in me, you mean ILLSMOQ. :rolaugh:
Its sitting in his garage. Im going to call dealer Monday, Im hoping its a common pump used on other vehicles. That way they will hopefully have one in stock. I will get the hose too and some new fluid.

Thanks for your help.

Mike - Yes nothing special about the pump. Just yank your pulley off as the new pump won't have one on it anyway, and also your reservior, and install them on the new pump. Don't forget that pressure hose to save yourself a headache later, its a one time worthless piece of dung. The pump is a common pump, same one as used on the grand cherokee and other chrysler cars......

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike - Yes nothing special about the pump. Just yank your pulley off as the new pump won't have one on it anyway, and also your reservior, and install them on the new pump. Don't forget that pressure hose to save yourself a headache later, its a one time worthless piece of dung. The pump is a common pump, same one as used on the grand cherokee and other chrysler cars......

Does the pulley come off easily, or do you need a puller. Is it just held on by a bolt?
And was it hard to bleed the system?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a pully puller after removing the bolt. Reservior has two clips retaining it. Easy to bleed the system of air.

Gisler

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my 2004 SRT, and in the end it was only the loose centerbolt of the crankshaft-damper, the whole damper moved forward and so the accessory belt got misaligned. Check the alignment of the belt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235