GT500 Actually Puts Down 662 Horsepower "Viper Who ?"

Discussion in 'Driven' started by v10enomous, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-confirmed-662-hp-love-192449470.html

Speaking to a gathering of Mustang and Shelby fans in Los Angeles last week, the chief engineer of the upcoming 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 let slip the car's official stats: 662 hp, 631 ft-lbs of torque, and enough miles per gallon to avoid the gas guzzler tax. We've managed to confirm the numbers and add a few more that shows Ford will soon create not just the most powerful street-ready Mustang ever, but the most powerful sports car from any Detroit automaker.

For those who may get confused by the permutations of Shelby, Cobras and Mustangs on the market, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will still be rated below the altered Mustangs built by Carroll Shelby's own Shelby American shop, which can be tuned up to 1,000 hp. But it's still enough for the full factory-warrantied Ford to beat not just any Chevrolet Camaro, but the Chevy Corvette ZR1 and even the claimed 640 hp from the V-10 in the revived 2013 SRT Viper.

Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer for Ford's SVT division and the man in charge of the Shelby, told the gathering that the 2013 would get fuel economy of 15 mpg in the city and 24 mpg highway, for 18 mph combined -- a sufficient level to avoid a federal gas penalty, and 5 mpg better than the Chevy Camaro ZL1. He also said the GT500 has enough torque to snap to 60 mph in first gear; how it keeps from shredding tires at every stoplight remains an open question.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500Ford shared with us a few other notes about the Shelby: It's still claiming the most powerful production V8 in the world, although Koenigsegg would disagree about what defines "production." Unlike the peaky engines of years past, 90 percent of the GT500's power from the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 is available between 2,000 revs and its redline; at just above idle, it's making nearly as much torque -- 395 ft-lbs -- as the Camaro SS makes at its peak.

One other tidbit, according to the Team Shelby forums: The engine runs so hot and requires so much cooling that the GT500 will do without any front grille. At a top speed supposedly near 200 mph, who would notice it's gone?

Ford also sent over this graphic showing the power curves of the Shelby. Viper who?

2. BlknBlu

BlknBlu Viper Owner

you can put the 2 motors side by side and Mustang will be the King. After that there is no comparion. Good luck on the track with that car.

Kudos to Ford for making it happen.

Bruce

3. 72hemi

72hemi Enthusiast

The thing I notice is "The engine runs so hot and requires so much cooling that the GT500 will do without any front grille" in other words try running that car for more than a 1/4 mile drag race and it will overheat and go into limp mode. Honestly what good are super high horsepower numbers if they can only be sustained for a few seconds. Corvette proved that hp doesn't make that much of a difference when they took their 2012 Carbon Z06 and ZR1 to the ring, basically there is a 133 hp difference between the 2 cars and only a 3 second difference on the track. I will take a 640 hp naturally aspirated V10 Viper over the 1000 hp blown mustang.

4. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

Absolutely. The mustang is an amazing value but it's no Viper. I can't believe they end the article with "Viper Who ?"

5. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Guest

Viper who? Viper that just pulled 20 seconds on that pig's lap time, that's who. :)

6. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Guest

Gear head magazine idiots worry about their penis size. Meh.

7. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Viper Owner

And it still looks like every other 20,000 dollar Mustang.

8. Bobpantax

Bobpantax VCA Member - South Florida

I like the front and that's it. The comparison to the ZL-1 Camaro is a valid one but the 2013 Viper and this car are apples and oranges from both a styling and performance point of view. By not mentioning the large difference in weight, the writer shows that he is ignorant and/ or corrupt.

9. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

I wonder what it's like to look at a Mustang and get that "gotta have it" feeling because I certainly never feel that way. Now looking at that Viper at the NYIAS is a whole different story. Every time i feel like I want a GT500 I go look at one and then I'm good for another year or so and the cycle just keeps repeating:lmao:

10. 2006red/whitecoupe

2006red/whitecoupe Viper Owner

Say what you want, but you have to tip your hat to Ford on this one. More HP than a 2013 Viper at half the cost. Sure, the Viper would take the 13 GT500 apart on a road course but I like the work they are doing. I really think the loser here is the ZL-1......and the leftover 2012 GT 500's.

11. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Guest

Except you get a grill with the $20K one!

12. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

I don't have a problem with the GT500 and Ford deserves praise for the car. I wouldn't even rule out owning one but it's not a Viper or even a ZR-1 substitute.

13. PDCjonny

PDCjonny Enthusiast

I hope we're not saying that about the leftover 2013 Viper's when the 2014/15's come out.

14. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

You know what though... It's game on right now for performance cars so we all kinda win... I mean hell... It could be like 1982 again:lmao:

15. Allan

Allan Viper Owner

....Yeah, with the economy being what it is, gas prices what they are, it's suprising that the hot topic car isn't the Prius, Leaf, Volt, or something like those dorkmobiles. We are lucky to be in a 'car guys' world right now. It's about power, top speed, and overall performance........Doesn't make any sense, but I ain't complaining.

16. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

The Mustang is obviously the stock car to buy if the buyers main concern is beating a stock Viper in a dyno race. I never have gotten into dyno racing myself, although I do like to watch the wrecks.

17. PatentLaw

PatentLaw Enthusiast

And the Gen V looks like a Gen II that you can buy for $30k.

Nobody here has tried this new version. Comments like "it is apples and oranges" from a performance point of view are not known by anyone on here.

18. Bobpantax

Not correct. The 2013 Mustang GT 500 weighs 3850 pounds. The 2013 base SRT Viper with track package weighs 3297 pounds.The mustang does not have as capable a suspension - especially in the base model - and is not as aerodynamically efficient. The estimated top speed of the new Viper, as stated by Ralph, (206 MPH) exceeds the estimated top speed of the Mustang GT 500. A supercharged engine does not have the same endurance on a road course as the NA Gen V Viper engine. And, based on the fact that it has already been admitted that it gets hot quickly, it will need more cool off time at the drag strip. From a styling perspective, the two cars are nothing alike. The Mustang GT 500 is a pony car. The Viper has never been a pony car. The Gen II's were appealing and to many they always will be but the Gen V represents a new level of world class refinement on many levels and is a far more balanced design. The Gen II was a clown shoe from Shoe Rack. The Gen V is a Ferragamo.

Bottom line. Those of us who actually use the performance capabilities of our performance vehicles know what the difference in specs translates into in the real world. It does not take a rocket scientist - just some experience. The Mustang will be a fun car ( I had a modded 5.0 in the early 80s and, for what it was, it was fun.) but it is not in the same category or class as a Viper. With the above said, assuming the internals, including the internals of the supercharger, are strong enough, and the calibration is not locked down, it will be inexpensive to change the pulley and the calibration and make considerably more power in the Mustang. But, unless that additional power can be put to the ground, it is useless so suspension mods and drag radials will probably be necessary.

19. Jeebs

Jeebs Viper Owner

It is going to be interesting to see what kind of numbers this GT500 really puts down. As well as the new Viper. I'm talking track times not dyno runs. Now thats apples to oranges. The GT500 is a great deal for someone that wants HP bragging rights. It also has new technology, great sounding sterio, 4 seats and a full warranty. That being said. You will still lose it in a parking lot. Or look for the car with no grill (lol). BUT a Viper is a Viper. It may have a little less HP and only 2 seats, but it weighs a lot less and looks amazing. As with ALL vipers, they may not be perfect, but are worth the extra money.

20. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

And the GenII looks like a $150k car that people bought for $80k.

21. CSXT802

CSXT802 Viper Owner

+1^ genII look is timeless.

22. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

I am looking forward to people asking me if my '02 GTS is one of them new Vipers. (or Ferrari F12)

23. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

Now the original GT500's give me that gotta have it feeling... The new one not so much... I worked with a guy at my high school supermarket job and used to get a lift home every now and then in one just like this...

[​IMG]

The new ones are not as appealing to my eye...

[​IMG]

24. CEJ

CEJ Viper Owner

HP is one thing, driveability is another. It will be interesting to see what these cars will do when turned loose on a track.

25. 2006red/whitecoupe

2006red/whitecoupe Viper Owner

the 1968 Shelby Mustang did not offer dual stripes as a factory option although i happen to like them.

26. AviP

AviP Viper Owner

Face it guys, it does win the hp : price ratio and that matters to a lot of drivers otherwise we'd be all driving Ferraris.

27. v10enomous

v10enomous Viper Owner

The 67 and 68 GT500's were among my favorite cars back then. It was 1976 but I'll never forget riding in that car when I was 16 years old with the snake emblems and the roll bar and the great sound and all those scoops. His brother had a green 67 but it had a junkyard 390 motor in it. For whatever reason the new ones just don't get me so excited.

[​IMG]

28. PatentLaw

PatentLaw Enthusiast

So the Gen V looks nothing like a Gen II? Clown shoe vs. Ferragamo? As I recall, the Gen V is LESS efficient in the wind tunnel than the Gen II. The comparison is clear to many on this board. You may not agree, but you are in the clear minority.

The facts....

If you look at the power to weight ratio of the new Mustang, it is comparable to the Gen IV Viper. Period. End of Story. So any of you who say that the cars are "apples to oranges" are just plain wrong.
    So every single Viper owner on this board has a new Mustang to contend with. Physics is Physics.

Second.....the GT 500 has had substantial improvement in the suspension. That has been widely published. We do not know what the impact will be.

Third.....as to aerodynamic efficiency.....the mere fact that the cars are within a few MPH of each other on the top end indicates that the Mustang and the Viper are comparable. Don't believe me? Check out the wind tunnel testing. http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-2012-ford-mustang-boss-302s-wind-tunnel-testing/
    The actual top end is used so infrequently, that the difference is meaningless. Just an exercise in numbers. And, if the Mustang is so inferior to the Viper in the aero department, then the Mustang engine must be making MORE power than advertised given the virtually identical top end. This would be especially problematic for Viper owners, as the power to weight ratio would be even more favorable for the Mustang in the usable range.

Next.....as anyone who has gone to the track can testify, Mustangs have been used at the tracks for years. Especially the newer models. 10 or 20 Mustangs for every Viper. Saying that they are apples and oranges is again just plain wrong. People race more Mustangs than Vipers.

There are people who want status. There are people who want performance. To dismiss the Ford that has such capabilities is just faulty thinking.

I work directly with another attorney who has a 2010 Mustang GT500 with ironically almost identical self made mods, comparable to the 2013 model. The car has amazing performance capabilities. The car is not "lost" with the other cars in the parking lot. If you want status, then buy a Ferrari, as somone said earlier.

29. Bobpantax

This thread was discussing the 2013 Mustang GT 500 and the 2013 Viper. The Gen IV is not relevant. Having competed with a heavily modded Mustang at a standing mile event I can assure you that while the Mustang may hit 200 MPH after far more than one mile that it will also take longer to do so than a 2013 Viper. Just compare the two front ends. The stock 2013 SRT Viper will be faster 0 to 60, in the quarter mile, around a road course, and time to top speed than the stock Mustang GT 500. I am willing to make a friendly $500 dollar bet on that where the loser pays the money to The Wounded Warrior Project. OK Patentlaw? Let me know.

30. 01viper4me

01viper4me Viper Owner

Love it! :eater: :eater: :eater:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.