GTS as a Daily Driver

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Subject: GTS as a Daily Driver

o.k., I really need some honest feedback from you folks and please keep the Vette bashing to a minimum. I currently own a 2002 ZO6 that I have enjoyed for about a year now. My dream car is the Viper GTS and I got a call from an auto broker telling me about a 2001 with 12K miles on it.

I really need to know if there are any quality issues with the 2001's that I should look for? Can rely on this car as a daily driver? I live in Vegas and it can get monster hot here in the summer, will I have to worry about overheating?

Also, will this thing beat me up on 3-7hr road trips? What about clearance issues on speed bumps and steep parking garage entrances? Can I still haul groceries, luggage and/or packages in the hatch? Does the AC stay pretty cool?

I know these sound like niggling issues, but they are all conveniences I enjoy in my Vette and I want to know how much I am compromising. I know the Viper is basically a slightly more comfortable street legal race car, but I guess I've gotten to be fat and cushier in my taste and want to step up in performance and looks. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

p.s. Any opinions on long term (10-14yr) luxury car financing if I only plan to keep the car a couple of years?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for the two S's (Security and Snow), I'd love to drive my GTS every day. The Viper engine is so understressed that it can go 200K without major problems with little more maintenance than a Chev or Ford.
I drove BMWs from 1986 to 2001 and there is no comparison.
Sounds like you need to lease.
Actually, there is a third "S" - scraping. The car is low.

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned a 2001 Z06 for 2 1/2 years before buying my Viper, granted I modified the Z06 heavily, and really only drove it only occassionally as I do with my Viper now, but this was my experience...

First, a 2001 Viper is not a bad choice since they had ABS by that time, obviously they offered more in the way of options (power windows, fixed top) over the Gen I cars, but you don't get the forged pistons (through '99 Gen II cars) which everyone seems to covet as being the top cars to modify. I am not sure of any recalls, mine had the frame recall which was done properly before I bought it so it wasn't much of an issue, but you should double check on that.

Reliability is pretty much negligable between the Corvette and the Viper, actually I had more mechanical issues with my Z06 (leaking rearend seal and burning oil) than I have had with the Viper. But, because the Z06 was new car with factory waranty I had no complaints.

The Viper does run hotter, (about 200 degrees, versus 180-185 in the Z06 in the summer), but seems to stay pretty normal even at 106 degreees outside, the best we get here in Sacramento.

Driving for a long time I tend to be more uncomortable in the Viper, 3 hrs is usually about all I want to spend in mine. But then with a modified exhaust and lowered stance it makes the ride a bit more unique, that's for sure.

Of the two, my Z06 was actually lower in stance, by about an inch and a half, but the Viper has more clearance problems. Mostly because the front chin sticks out more, and there are no products to protect the underside of the rocker panels like those offered for the C5. I am very, very careful with mine. ( I actually had to back up and pull out of a shopping mall the other day becuase of speed bumps I knew I wouldn't clear).

The AC stays cool if it works, many cars (mine included) sat for a while and as a reult the AC's leaked for a short time requiring them to be recharged, or sometimes replaced. Parts can get costly from the factory so an extended warranty is a nice cushion.

All in all the GTS is a better choice for a daily driver. More space to cram stuff in if you like, and you can lock it up easier. My biggest complaint is with the RT, I often don't take my top with me, so when I do leave it in a parking lot, I go mad worrying about someone messing with it.

Otherwise I love the looks, the stares, and the all out uniqueness of the Viper over the Vette.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my RT/10 2-3 times a week here in Vegas, and have a friend (MoparMan) that drives his GTS regularly here.
Hit either of us up if you want to take a spin. High flow cats/mufflers make a huge difference in the interior heat, BTW.
:)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, this may sound a bit blasphemous but I will give you my honest appraisal. The vette makes a better daily driver. Oh sure, you can drive the GTS daily and many here do. I drive the SRT daily and feel it is on par (as far as daily drivability is concerned) with the vette on that score (I previously owned a ZO6 as well) except for snow.

The GTS chin hits a lot easier than the vette or SRT...in fact, I cannot park it in my office parking lot because I can't exit without scraping. It is slowly becoming a track car so no big deal for me...and I do have the SRT.

If you take long trips, no cruise control is a pain, IMO. Can you keep your foot in one place for a few hours...of course, just not as comfortable. And you can mod this if you want.

The cramped footwell is a problem for longer trips...no dead pedal. Pedals are shifted to the left because of the transmission tunnel as well. You can deal with that...just not a natural driving position.

On the plus side, I don't find cabin heat to be an issue but I have hi flow cats (which I recommend).

My GTS has aftermarket exhaust which sounds great but can be annoying after awhile...you should consider exhaust mods on your prospective car in that light.

You will certainly get more attention in the GTS than the vette...not always good if you want to fly under the radar.

I would say the rear hatch area is about on par with the vette's trunk for storage space though a little less convenient to access.

In summary, IMO, the GTS can be used as a daily driver. It will not be as comfortable as the vette. I don't think most people buy this car with daily drivability as the top priority. I bought it for its performance, exotic looks, and the sensation that I am in a race car made for the street when I am behind the wheel.
For the way that it makes me feel when I drive it, it is well worth the inconveniences mentioned above. If it is your dream car, I would go for it and accept the minor inconveniences.

As far as ABS is concerned, I think it's an important consideration if you think you may want to eventually track your car.
If you plan to mod the engine, the stronger internals are a consideration.

Finally, this is a great forum. If you have been visiting it, you already know that. It definitely enhances the ownership of this car for me.

Good luck.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject: GTS as a Daily Driver

o.k., I really need some honest feedback from you folks and please keep the Vette bashing to a minimum. I currently own a 2002 ZO6 that I have enjoyed for about a year now. My dream car is the Viper GTS and I got a call from an auto broker telling me about a 2001 with 12K miles on it.

I really need to know if there are any quality issues with the 2001's that I should look for? Can rely on this car as a daily driver? I live in Vegas and it can get monster hot here in the summer, will I have to worry about overheating?

Also, will this thing beat me up on 3-7hr road trips? What about clearance issues on speed bumps and steep parking garage entrances? Can I still haul groceries, luggage and/or packages in the hatch? Does the AC stay pretty cool?

I know these sound like niggling issues, but they are all conveniences I enjoy in my Vette and I want to know how much I am compromising. I know the Viper is basically a slightly more comfortable street legal race car, but I guess I've gotten to be fat and cushier in my taste and want to step up in performance and looks. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

p.s. Any opinions on long term (10-14yr) luxury car financing if I only plan to keep the car a couple of years?

The Corvette is a better daily but the GTS is possible. If you do not mind where you park it you are fine. Now for the questions you asked:

The 2001 year is pretty fine. There is nothing you really have to look out for. By then almost everything was fixed and you get ABS!!!

Overheating is not really a problem as I know MANY people in Vegas and CA that drive these regularly and you KNOW what traffic is like down there, especially CA.

This is a fun car for Road trips. You might get a bit uncomfortable but that is about it. Also it will EAT gas compared to the Z06 but if you are cursing you should be fine. I did 250 miles and burned only 5/8 of a tank of gas in fifth and sixth the whole way. FUN!

Clearance is not a big problem. You just have to be careful. You will learn to go up speed bumps and driveways at an angle. DO NOT let this bother you. This is NO big deal.

Trunk Space is limited but it is there. When there is a will there is a way. I go away on weekend trips all the time and take a small suitcase in my RT/10. As you can tell I drive my car everywhere and it is NOT a daily hehe. I have 17,200 on the car within 14 months. The GTS has a lot more room trunk wise but you cannot put a 5 piece luggage set in there ;) .

The A/C is pretty cold when it gets "warmed up." This process takes a minute or so after driving and it is COLD!!!!

Long term financing is for the person that wants it. Personally, I am not a huge fan of financing long term since I like not financing at all or paying off ASAP since I HATE debts so it is personal preference. I would personally not recommend it since it is for such a LONG duration. That is like a 15 year mortgage on a car!

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a C5, it was a great daily driver; so is my ZR2 Blazer in the snow. The diffrence between a Corvette and a Viper as a daily a driver, is well... like ************ verses having actual sex.
However, last Saturday I had to park the GTS and rent a hotel room as I was traped by snow on Vail pass.
What is that ...blue tires?

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep your 'Vette. You're not yet ready to enjoy the raw, outrageous, explosive experience of a GTS. Gee, I think I just described an ******.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd go for it. I made sure to do my homework before buying because I fully intended the GTS to be a daily driver. I've had it for almost a year now and I've driven it every day with no complaints! I actually find it to be a comfy car, but I've never driven a Vette.

The A/C is so cold, I'm going to reroute the passenger side vent so that it isn't *quite* so cold on my wife!

Longer trips are fantastic because it gets about 20 mpg in 5th or 6th.

AlvaSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine EVERYDAY.
Rain or shine.
From buying groceries, going to work, to the bank,
and spanking Supras, Camaros, SC BMW's, Corvettes and (yes)other Vipers. :cool:

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS is a blast, but it demands your attention and participation in driving. I find it tiring in traffic and running everyday chores. Why burn up the depretation in stop and go? Get it out on the open road and set the monkey free. For the rest of the time get a daily driver of some other sort.

If you cannot run two cars for whatever reason, then the Vette would be a better choice. Driving the GTS is a full contact sport.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Corvette and I enjoyed it. I'll also agree that it's a more comfortable cruiser and better for long trips and daily driving duties.

With that said, I'll never go back. I drive my Viper every day, and it's still a treat every time I get behind the wheel, and if you forget for a moment that you are in a truly unique car, the world will remind you about it most every day with shouts and waves. :headbang:

If I were you, I'd definitely get in contact with some of the other Vegas Viper owners and take them up on their offer for a drive. :2tu:

Most Corvette owners that I've met are pretty well split.
Some want more amenities and a stylish cruiser.
And some want a full-out performance car.
If you gravitate towards cruising and practicality then get a C6 Corvette. :cool:
And if you are a bit more on the wild side, look the Viper over carefully,
and it will reward you with an unpresidented driving experience. :D

-Dean.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Dean.
He's got my number, we'll be more than happy to make him a convert.
:laugh:
Sometimes you can be just out cruising, and then people pull up next to you and wave, and suddenly you are reminded of how special the Viper really is.
:cool:

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious....do ya'll like the ABS better than not? I think I'd really be interested MORE in the older vipers, without it.

First time I hit the brakes on my C5 when I had it, I nearly sh*t with all the chattering, etc. I wasn't expecting that, almost rear ended a car 'cause it wouldn't stop fast enough...and I thought something had broken. I later learned that's what ABS does...and I can't stand them..but, that's my opinion.

Do ya'll like it better with or without them?

cayenne

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Properly used ABS will stop you faster, period.

I have it on my daily driver and wish I had it on my Viper but budget constraints wouldn't permit me to get a later year model.

Everything being equal an ABS car will beat a non-ABS car on a road course. Would I allow ABS/non-ABS be the deciding factor in my purchase-no.

Bill

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to slam the brakes pretty hard to have the ABS kick in, at least on this car. In the 11 months of owning mine, I've felt it kick in once.
My 98 T/A was another story.
;)

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drove my 2001 Z06 for two years, then switched to an 02 GTS, which I also drive every day. I have no problems with driving my GTS every day. It gets very hot in the summer in Atlanta and I have never had an overheating problem. My AC works extremely well -- too well, in fact, because I sometimes get too cold! The ride quality, I think, is about the same, because the Z06 is quite stiff. Scraping the front is a bigger problem in the GTS, not because it's lower, but because it does not have that spring-loaded thing that the Z06 has. But I do not get overly worried about scraping the front of mine -- there's no way I can avoid it anyway, and the scratches are way underneath the front of the car where they cannot be seen. The noise level inside the Viper is, I believe, actually less that the Corvette (I have stock exhaust).
The only place I would say the Z06 is better is on a long distance drive, and that is because the GTS has no cruise control. For long trips, we usually take my wife's Porsche 911.
For me, the thrill of driving the Viper every day cannot be matched, and is much more rewarding than the anonymity of driving a Corvette. If you really enjoying driving and you are attentive to the car and road, you would probably enjoy it more as well.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing is that the SPECIALNESS of the Viper subsides after driving it everyday. You still LOVE driving it everyday but the ULTRA SPECIAL feeling subsides after a while. I started to see this and then needed to get another daily driver. The Viper is now my nice weather daily driver. The Civic is a much different car and keeps me happy when I get to drive the Viper. Also needed something I could take to school and the store and not have to worry about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth