Guidance on how to sell my Viper

saturnfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all.

Well, I'm going to sell my 1995 R/T. Here is a question for you all.

This is not a lambo, ferrari or bugatti but I'd imagine when selling a car like this, its not like a standard type sell.

What I'd like to know is, what am I expected to allow the potential buyer to do regarding driving it. Naturally, don't want joy-riders and serious folks only but do I have to let them drive it, or rather, do I take them for a ride so I can get on it and make sure its done so in an adult, safe manner.

Again, I'm not saying its perhaps on the level of a lambo sell, but without ever having sold a car like this, just wondering what is expected of me.

I appreciate your advice.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone will have differing opinions on what is acceptable for them, I can only speak for myself.

I won't let anyone drive the car until I have proper assurance that they have payment and are serious about buying the car. Even then, I'm in the passenger seat and we drive where and how I say. I can't fault a prospective buyer for wanting to properly check the vehicle, but this ain't a shake down or see what a Viper can do kind of drive.

If they have never owned a performance oriented or manual transmission vehicle, then they will be in the passenger seat while I drive. They can learn everything they want after becoming the next owner.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bot a new one in 2000 from a dealer and never drove it. I'm guessing if you show up in a Lambo or something crazy expensive, they'd let you drive it - but that was back in 2000.

Then I bot a used modded GTS in 2001 and the owner took me for a drive. I don't know if he would have let me drive it, but even if he did, I didn't want the liability exposure if something went wrong.

STORY: back in college in the early 80's, I had a broke ass rusted out 2002tii I was selling for something like $600. I let the kid drive it and asked him if he knew the roads and he said yes. And he put it nose in, into a stone wall on a hairpin. Fortunately the kid was honorable and said he'd pay for the car, and so I gave it to him for my rock bottom price and also found a garage that specialized in those cars that gave him a good price for the wreck. After that, NO ONE drives a car of mine that I'm selling.

MONEY: then there's how you get paid. That's the tough one that I'll be facing soon. A car collector friend sells by bank wire only - or cash - and yes, people have sold Vipers for cash. Sometimes people will show up with $100k in cash. Can happen - either cash business or .... (!)

OR-1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what BoondocSaint said. Plus a couple of thoughts. In addition to determining the buyer’s ability to pay, a firm price should be agreed upon and a significant (5-10%) deposit received before a test drive. In fairness to the buyer, the deal would be subject to a satisfactory test drive. By this time the seller should have been able to get a feel for the buyer’s knowledge and driving experience. As the seller, I would always drive first. Drive sensibly and safely, but show some of the car’s potential. Then if both parties are comfortable and buyer still good with the deal, he gets to drive, but CONSERVATIVELY. Good luck with your sale.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guidance?

Don't sell right now. The market is garbage, and you are likely going to be wasting so much time fielding idiots offering you 12 dollars, a rusty bicycle and some used chewing gum that you are going to be wondering why you are even doing it. Its not worth it.

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone will have differing opinions on what is acceptable for them, I can only speak for myself.

I won't let anyone drive the car until I have proper assurance that they have payment and are serious about buying the car. Even then, I'm in the passenger seat and we drive where and how I say. I can't fault a prospective buyer for wanting to properly check the vehicle, but this ain't a shake down or see what a Viper can do kind of drive.

If they have never owned a performance oriented or manual transmission vehicle, then they will be in the passenger seat while I drive. They can learn everything they want after becoming the next owner.
This is exactly what I did when I temporarily had my 93 antenna car for sale. It was still sketchy and the guy had me somewhat nervous while driving it with me in the passenger seat. If they’ve never driven a Viper before it is an experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala