Hard Top Suggestion?

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the site and the Viper world. I have recently bought my first Viper a 96 RT/10 and would like to get a hard top for it. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions on a good one. Thanks, Dave.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CONGRATS on joining the Viper club, AND the exclusive 96 RT club!!!! (no I am not biased)...

What colour did you get?? Pics???

I have the factory double bubble hardtop, I can send you a pic of that if you want....

Tomer

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper "fold"!

There are several, each with it's own subtle differences.

Mopar
Viper Mania
Northwind Engineering
Autoform

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not quite done with this article, but it is close, ignore all the html code......

Initially, in 1992, it was slim pinckin's for Viper cosmetics, there was only one aftermarket wheel manufacturer and a hand full of accessories available. This is no longer the case, with thousands of Vipers produced, a large number of boutique manufacturers has grown up to provide many different options in the marketplace. With this growth of choice, pricing is more competitive, and selection is reaching "smorgasbord" levels. This includes the availability of many used parts in the marketplace sold through places like the VCA Classifieds which were unheard of when the Viper was introduced in '92.

Hardtops, Side Windows, Tonneau Covers

Cosmetically, most people begin by adding a hardtop and nicer side windows to their car. The Vipers stock soft top and soft (and later hard) plastic side curtains ('92-'96 RT/10) are not very attractive, and tend to let a little bit of the outside..... in, when the weather goes bad (it rains, you get wet).

Hardtop manufacturers include, Mopar (Manufactured by ASC), Northwind Engineering, Autoform, and ViperMania. Others who have made tops in the past which occasionally pop up in the used market include TGF, and the English top. Northwind Engineering and V-Mania offer Polycarbonate side curtains that work with the Vipers factory soft and Mopar (ASC) Hardtop. The Autoform, and English hardtops are designed with the top edge of the side windows curved which affords a little more viewing area and a sleeker look. The Autoform windows are made of Polycarbonate and the English side windows are made of tempered glass. A word of warning, the all glass side curtains are more difficult to install, heavier, and break into thousands of pieces if accidentally dropped. Getting a replacement for the glass side curtains can be, expensive, time consuming, and maybe even impossible since they are no longer made.

Adding a hard top to an RT/10 will do many things. First and foremost, it will make the car look longer and lower. The black soft top sitting atop the body colored sportcap tends to make the top look like it is "floating above" the car, giving a visual affect of the car being taller. The next big change is the cabin atmosphere. To begin with, the stock soft side windows of Gen I RT/10’s seal better against the hardtop. This, combined with the hard tops headliner, significantly quiets down the interior. On longer trips, you'll be able to carry on conversations without loosing your voice! The downside of a hard top, is you can't just toss it in the trunk when the sun comes out.

When evaluating hard tops it is important to consider how often you will be installing and removing the top, and how you plan to store it when not on the car. Some tops just drop right on (Northwind, V-Mania) using stock Viper hardware and mounting points, some use stock mounting points, but require the removal of the sportpad before installation (Mopar), and some require special hardware be mounted on your car for installation (Autoform, English Top). Most after market tops have plenty of headroom, but if you plan on putting your Viper on the track, you may want to make sure there will be helmet room. Lastly, ask yourself if you want to use your stock (or compatible aftermarket) side windows and how much you want to spend. Tops range in Price from $2500 to over $7000.

A word of caution, the windshield mount on RT/10's changed several times from '92-'96, in ‘97, a completely new windshield surround was installed when glass powered windows were installed in RT/10’s . It is important to know the model year of your Viper and the type of windshield mounting points on your car. Also remember that ’97 and later tops will no work ’96 and previous models. and Be sure to work with your top supplier to identify which type of mounting is on your car. Northwind Engineering can provide the correct top mounting pins if there is a fitment problem.

The Mopar top is a "double bubble" design billed as a seasonal top because you are required to remove the sportpad for installation. This top requires the removal of the sport pad for installation (the black pad just behind your head on the Vipers sport bar) These tops are plentiful and many are available used. If you do purchase one used, make sure the top has the correct hardware (front pin length) for your year Viper. The good news for ’97 or later Viper owners is the Mopar top was modified in ’97 to eliminate sportpad removal, it drops right on like the soft top.

The Northwind Hardtop is smooth and manufactured of carbon fibre, is the lightest of the group and is installed just like the stock soft top using factory hardware. Simply drop the rear latches through the slots in the sport pad, and latch, while dropping the front posts in their corresponding windshield surround holes. The stock side windows work with the Northwind top. Northwind offers polycarbonate sliding side windows that have improved side vision (you can see the passenger side mirror!). These windows lock and are manufactured with a stout black metal frame. Any side windows that work with the stock soft top, will work with the Northwind top.

The Autoform and English tops have front pillars that flank the Vipers windshield pillar. These allow the top and pillars to be painted body color and the designers to curve the top which makes the RT/10 appear more coupe like. The downside is these tops take a little more room to store, and the top becomes more "seasonal" as it is tougher to install and remove and it takes care and handling not to damage the pillar covers while the top is in storage. Both of these tops are "double bubble" designs.

There are several methods to store the top. Autoform and Mopar both sell nice padded tubular top holders. The Mopar holder also has spaces for side curtains/windows as well. Another method of storing the hardtop is a pulley system. These systems are available in the aftermarket for Miata tops, or for a minimal cost, it is not that hard to assemble a series pulleys and hooks that will work just fine.

In 1997 Team Viper added roll-up glass windows to the RT/10 (no more removable side curtains). This eliminated the option for side window replacement and changed the hard top market significantly. Changes to the car to facilitate the glass side windows included a different windshield surround. This means that tops designed to work with '92-'96 RT/10's will not fit at the windshield or seal properly on the glass side windows.

Mopar reworked their double bubble top to work on the '97 and later RT/10's. The best part of their efforts was there it is no longer required to remove the sport pad to install the Mopar top. The top simply drops on like the soft top.

V-Mania designed a new double bubble top for the '97 and up RT/10's as well. Their top has an optional "GTS-R" style (non-functional) scoop. If you really want a **** looking Viper, this top is an option. V-Mania also added a very unique hardtop to their lineup, a tinted see through top.

In 2003 Team Viper released the "Chapter III" SRT-10 Viper convertible. This all new Viper gave the aftermarket community a new platform to work with. As with the Gen II Viper the SRT-10 has roll-up windows, but to improve sealing with the top, they borrowed a trick from days gone by, when the door handle is actuated, the window drops just slightly, allowing the door to open.

Both Autoform and V-Mania quickly introduced hardtops for the SRT-10.

OP
OP
S

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the info. Do you guys think it is better to have the roof vent in the ViperMania top? That is the one I think I will go with.

I just love driving my Viper, It is white w/blue stripes. Got a great deal on it as well. I will post pic soon.

I have a few other questions, how do you put the cool little pic by your name? and where do you put in the info on your other cars? Well thanks again, Dave.

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermania with the roof vent looks amazing. But of course again, I'm partial.

36896roofscoop1-med.jpg

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Go with the Vipermania one from Biff, they are the best and have the best locking devise that makes them more secure. The roof scoop is non functional, but makes it look meaner. Go for it, quality is A+...while at it, get the weather stripping kit for the doors that Biff offers to better water-proof your car.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where do you put in the info on your other cars? Well thanks again, Dave.

go to "my home" in the red toolbar at the top. Then go to "main configuation"
"edit profile". Scroll down and you'll see the area for "signature". Thats where you put that kind of car, truck, airplane, lawn mower etc info.

OP
OP
S

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thanks again for all the info. I'm going to order my top in the morning with the roof vent and the weather stripping kit. I will post before and after pics if you guys would like. Buckeye Viper your car looks sweet!

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have photos of the Vmania moonroof on a black Viper? The photo on Biff's website of the moonroof on a red Viper doesn't do either any justice IMHO.

viperrwk

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VMANIA looks great And easy to install no rear spring clips to scratch sports bar if you miss...
You must be registered for see images

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANK YOU :2tu: :2tu:
Just wish the weather was warmer longer so i could use it more...
And fuel was cheaper////

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get one of the new hardtops that come apart in 3 pieces and fits in trunk! Jeff Lemke on the board sells them and he's now making a Gen2. You can't beat it! Under 2K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21