harness color?????

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am definitely putting in 5 pt harnesses.
the question now it what color??
yellow or black??

thanks for the input just want to find out if people may think
the yellow may be too much... i have seen the yellow on the yellow car and it looks good but i need a second third forth
opinion black will match the interior and not standout as much.

JIM

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If you're putting the harnesses in for "the look", then yellow is the way to go...as the blacks tend to "blend" in to the interior.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jim.........

Search for Ben Treynors "Extreme Cuteness" post.
Shows nice detail of YELLOW harnesses with black pads in a 2001 yellow. We have over a dozen 2001 yellow-harnesses Vipers, and the owners really LOVE the look. Please call me? Ill be out Friday
Thanks

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,
I must say I was heading in towards the black belts (to blend in)
but there are some good reasons posted as to why I should go yellow.

I am not putting them in for looks. they are going in because of my fear of terrible injury or death if I ever wreck. I don't own a
driving suit and so far no track events. just want to be safe and and have the car look great.

I like the pic Tony the contrast is nice...

both teamtech and snakeoly sent me color swatches, the snakeoly
seems to match better.. so will probably go that route.but I am checking into all the points Mako makes first!!
thank everyone
JIM
smile.gif

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying the harness strictly to have it save your life in the event of an accident - consider this:

TeamTech offers padded shoulder harness straps and a very important feature - a sternum strap. In a hard accident (the kind you want belts for) without a sternum strap, the shoulder straps can splay - allowing your chest to hyperextend BETWEEN the straps and cause serious injury. The was explained to us by TeamTech's owner at the ViperDays Finals. Both Tommy and Bobby Archer have credited TeamTech with preventing serious injuries in major wrecks. Padded Cam lock area will encourage you to strap in tight and secure.

Any design should be easy to adjust. Design contrasting pull straps - you MUST be able to locate them (or an emergency worker) in the event of an accident. I would recommend buying belts from a dedicated safety equipment manufacturer.

Cam lock attached to crotch ******** the TeamTechs (or 5th and 6th point if you go that route - Strongly recommended for track events.) and conveniently stows out of the way when not in use. Also, will not bash the side of your car when exiting the vehicle like other belts can if the cam lock is attached to a shoulder strap or lap belt. Ouch.

Try to sit in a car with each type? Possible? Alan, are you close?

Be safe. And keep us posted.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally someone who has had both makes!!
thank alan for your info...
the only downside to the teamtech is the yellow is about 2 shades brighter than the car..the snakeolys match almost perfect!!

the red looks like a good match on yours !! maybe teamtech will run a viper yellow??????

anyhow.. i think i have decided on teamtech for safety !
now back to the main problem !!

COLOR????

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are black on a black interior in a blue car.Remember that the purpose that they are there for is not good looks.You don't need padding or any of the other fluff stuff.Six point harness if your serious.Five point for convienience with a lot more protection than those inertia reel gizmo's. Bruce

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...I have ordered my harness.
it will be a 5pt snakeoly in black.
here is why:
I never wear a black shirt when driving. so EMT's will never have problem seeing black belt.
Also my belt will be a 8pt belt thanks to NYS DMV making me still wear the stock belt to be legal.
Snakeoly belts come with snap-in hardware standard.

SFI rule change mandates all new belts have cam attached to sub-belt. Snakeolys comply to this rule.

They do not have a pull-down tab on the belts. And they don't recommend them as they can flap and become a nuisance.
this would be a big nuisance seeing I will be wearing them primarily when the top is off on the thruway going at least 65 MPH

Also they have nice snakehead logo on the cam.
Easy to store no bulky padding... if I want pads they can be order after I try them without.

No big company logo on front of pads.

I purchased mine from Woodhouse...Jon B would have called you if I went with teamtechs.
and again never plan on taking the car out on the track...
thanks for all the info everyone... you made my decision an informed one...
JIM
smile.gif

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another view on the subject. Don't quite understand the use of 5/6points on the street. It is a pain to put them on and off. You cannot reach the radio or climate controls. You cannot even close your door with them on. Often a tangled mess which get in the way of entering and exiting the car.
Properly tightned you will barely be able to breath in normal driving. (Racing G-Forces loosten them up during races)

For "safety" on the street the standard 3 point augmented by your airbag should do the trick instead of putting on both 3 point, and 5/6 point harness.
On the track the hassle is worth it, but for the street I am concerned they will be such a bother that you will rarely wear them.
To answer your original question...GO WITH THE YELLOW!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another view on the subject. Don't quite understand the use of 5/6points on the street. It is a pain to put them on and off. You cannot reach the radio or climate controls. You cannot even close your door with them on. Often a tangled mess which get in the way of entering and exiting the car.
Properly tightned you will barely be able to breath in normal driving. (Racing G-Forces loosten them up during races)

For "safety" on the street the standard 3 point augmented by your airbag should do the trick instead of putting on both 3 point, and 5/6 point harness.
On the track the hassle is worth it, but for the street I am concerned they will be such a bother that you will rarely wear them.
To answer your original question...GO WITH THE YELLOW!