Has anyone had any problems with Hennessey Performance?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by raph12, Jul 31, 2010.

1. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

Link

I know this is a very old article, but I wanted some consumer opinions before I decide to have the performance upgrades done on my Gen 2 Viper...

2. sdaddy

sdaddy Viper Owner

There plenty of Viper builders/tuners out there who do not have Henessey's baggage.

Dependent on where you are located, Underground Racing (NC), Heffner (FL), ART (TX), Macedo Motorsports (FL), and DC Performance (CA) have pretty solid reputations in the Viper community. There may be others I have missed.

3. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

So you suggest not doing work at Hennessey, just in case?

4. ViperNM

ViperNM Viper Owner

I wouldn't trust him with my tricycle!

5. sdaddy

sdaddy Viper Owner

Where are you located and what are you having done?

I don't know that Vipers are even Henesseys thing anymore. He seems to a little into everything from Corvettes, to Camaros, to Cadillacs to building his own supercar based on a Lotus. He is also running a tuner school and I am sure part of the tuner school is getting experience by working on customer cars.

6. BW96snake

BW96snake Enthusiast

Who would you trust with your sweet tricycle??

:D

Yeah, I have read several articles like that about big H. Sure, most companies that have been around for a while, will have "bagage".. but some understand that it's sometimes worth focusing on making a customer happy over a bump in the profit..

Just love all the lip service you get and can read on most company websites.. "Satisfaction guaranteed, for us, the customer always comes first, if you are not 100% satisfied, let management know and you have my word that we do whatever it takes to set things right.. etc... etc.."

All companies make mistakes.. sh!t happens; it's how those companies make things right that sets them apart!

Caveat emptor!

7. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Viper Owner

i wouldnt let him change my oil

8. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

Toronto, Canada and I'm thinking either supercharged or turbocharged, either way, something in the 800-1000BHP range with all of the trimmings.

9. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

If you are in Toronto, you might want to consider Chuck Tator who is located in New York. He is much closer and I have never read a negative comment about his work.

10. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

He does performance upgrades? Twin-turbo-kit/supercharger-kit installations? With suspension, wheel and tire upgrades?

11. 1fast400

1fast400 Enthusiast

Underground, end of story

12. Chuck 98 RT/10

Chuck 98 RT/10 VCA Venom Member-Midsouth

Chuck Tator. Never ever a bad word said about him. I will say it again Chuck Tator. If you go anywhere else don't come here complaining.

13. cratica

cratica Viper Owner

Not only would I not give J.H. a cent of my hard earned money, I would NEVER buy a car that he has ever touched. Just tainted goods, and you never know what you got. When I have been in the market for a used Viper and run across a "Hennesey" modded car, I think what a sucker that owner was and RUN the other direction...

14. Twister

Twister Viper Owner

(1)HENNESSY (2)HENNESSY 3)HENNESSY.....OK..Eihter Beetle Juice just appreared and has plans to over all screw me in the long run or Candy Man appeared and has plans to slit my throat right now..

Either way it's not good to even say that name...That guy is a thief plain and simple..The things he did were not "JUST BUISNESS" It was the intentional screwing and lying and useing of other human beings

15. FrankBarba

FrankBarba Viper Owner

Hey if your looking at Hennessey - contact David Wilks also.....

16. Viper Wizard

Viper Wizard Viper Owner

17. TowDawg

TowDawg Viper Owner

I can't remember if it was on here or the Alley, but someone had a link to a LS1 forum (I think) that really showed his colors. People were complaining about him and he came on cussing them out, telling them they are pieces of ****, that he doesn't need their business, etc.
    I wouldn't trust him to already, but after reading that thread, I don't know how he's even still in business. Anyone who KNOWS cars won't deal with him. It's the poor saps who just read the magazine articles about him that keeps him going.

18. mbccenter

mbccenter Viper Owner

I just got a Hennessey TT SRT that I took the car all apart. I have the engine out and putting in new bearings and rings. I also am doing some ARP bolts that should have been in there. The car did have a 522 stroker in it so I was happy. I know of others that were not as lucky

19. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

This seems like ancient history..... don't do it. I'm surprised this was even posted to begin with, you can't do a google search without finding tons of commentary on questionable practices....

20. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

I read that exchange also and it was an insight into the mentality of the man. It was not the type of personality I would ever want to deal with. People change; but, why take the chance when there are other untainted options? Also, the company may be under new management; but, they decided on keeping the name because of all it represents ? That doesn't sound like a good business plan either !

21. VIPER BAZ UK

VIPER BAZ UK Enthusiast

I wouldn't give him my old oil.....Incase he put it in another car:omg:

22. Neil - UK

Neil - UK Viper Owner

there's a bit of a joke over here with '550 Venom' (Blue GTS) :rolaugh: we gave the owner a load of stick at a club dyno day, where the numbers came up a little short of 550

this car was originally put together for Bill Gates as well :rolleyes:
    hennessey has such a bad name i find it hard beleive anyone would still send their car there

23. 'Trust'

'Trust' Enthusiast

Agreed x2, I went through his facility at TX2K10 and was just shaking my head. Those poor customers. Hennessey will get what's coming to him.

You realize that the car won't put 550 to the tires if it is rated at 550 to the motor right? Avg. 15% drivetrain loss it should put down 470RWHP ish.

24. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

I appreciate all of the advice guys, that narrows things down a little lol.

Thanks again, cheers.

25. eucharistos

eucharistos Viper Owner

did you notice post #16 :dunno:

good as gold

26. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

I know, I PMed him already, waiting on a response...

27. VIPER BAZ UK

VIPER BAZ UK Enthusiast

Call him.. Look at my sig

28. raph12

raph12 Enthusiast

Not in that much of a hurry, I'd rather just talk to him over the net and if we agree on terms, take it to the next level... Sort of want to test the waters first.

29. Twister

Twister Viper Owner

Unfortunetly it dosent work that way...

550 crank on a viper should be 490-500 rwhp..

The gen2's were 450 crank HP and routinely put down 400-410 rwhp

30. cyaford

cyaford Viper Owner

That would be due to Dodge underrating the horsepower, which for some reason manufacturers tend to do from time to time. Hell, sometimes they overrate the horsepower, per the 99(?) Cobra which resulted in a recall and bad press. NOBODY complains when a car is underrated, but it's the complete opposite when it's overrated. ;)