Have RT/10, Want GTS. Need help deciding!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never thought this day would come, but I think I am having a mid-life crisis.

I love my 700hp RT/10. I just want a black w/ silver stripe GTS with 700hp or more!

Love driving with the top off, but getting tired of the hot GA days where it needs to be on. Tired of the sudden downpours in ATL... tired of feeling like I have a less "tight" car for the road than if I had a GTS.

Maybe my last concern is made up rather than real. Or is it? Is there any difference at all in the GTS in terms of it being more or less solid than the roadster?

Tired of the hard top creeking when I go over bumps... Or even just routing driving with the noise.

Is the GTS a tighter vehicle, or am I projecting some of the too-hot-in-the-summer doldrums?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I can't have both. Wendy won't let me...

JD

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not be any happier with a GTS than you are with your RT/10. All vipers have little creeks or rattles. How many sounds you notice just depends on how good your hearing is.

Nothing against the build quality or design of the viper, but at best it's a 6 out of 10 (at least the ones I've owned). There are many other vehicles that will have a tighter feel to them, but nothing comes close the viper in terms of looks and raw power.

Only go to a GTS if you like the looks better. Besides the looks, they are two very similar vehicles.

My vote..... keep your RT/10.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the same situation but with less HP. If I could own both, I would. But when I had the Rt/10..I got sick of the creaking and leaking tops. I went and got the GTS and I love it, but I sure do miss the top being off durning a nice day. The way I see it, is..if you can have both..great! If you have to choose..it's like chosing what kid you like the best.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your pretty accurate with your comments, although my frame of reference is between a perfect '95 R/T and a '99 GTS, both of which I bought new. It's next to impossible to beat an 80 degree, low humidity, sunny day on the open road with an R/T. Now, in Pittsburgh, we get about 5 of those a year, so for the other potential 250 days I can drive the car, the GTS is the way to go. Hardly ever use the a/c, but it's there and works great with the coupe. The car is very tight, maybe not like a Porsche, but fairly quiet (no creaks or rattles) and handles very well IMO. Get lots of compliments on it as well. Mine's black on black with no stripes,so your color combo thought is pretty close! Either way you win, but I think the GTS is alot more versatile. Best of luck.....

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to admit that my experience with the RT10 has not been as an owner. My GTS is tight, no rattles, no squeaks, no wind noise with the windows up, absolutely nothing to complain about. The comments about lack of quality in the Vipers is absent completely in my GTS. There is no way that anyone could not feel they had the ultimate performance car with the GTS.
Hey, it sounds like I'm a happy owner! I love it.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had a Gen 1, it might be worth looking in to. But you have a Gen2 and I promise you, you will always look back and wonder if you made the right call every time something rattles or creeks on the GTS.

I could have given you my opinion on which one I like best, but that wasn't what you ask for. Every viper is a hand build car and so being will have little difference. As a hole, the Gen 2 RT/10 and GTS are the same in build quality.

Ultimately, the color of the grass on this side of the fence is up to you to decide.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph,

That's the very reason I sold my RT/10. The top going on and off was a PITA... Always had to watch the weather. Man, that got old.. having to turn around and put the top back on and stuff. The top making noise wasn't fun either.

IMO, if that is what is bothering you , you will like the GTS much more.. I know I did..

Have fun!

Gerald

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my coupe,30K miles & solid as a rock.Dell, you're a drivin man with your beast, buy another kind of cheap fun ragtop for the occasional top down blast, if you had the coupe, you would definitely drive it more than your rt/10. More Viper driving = more fun! We always have a convertable in the family for the last 20 years , I won't be without one. Diane has a Boxster & I have an mint old fiat (oxymoron?) spider that will put around town on those fine spring days...... Then of course you can always start fresh with a new 2003!

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rofl.gif

Reaction score
My First Viper was a Red 96 RT10. Which I loved until I bought a 97 GTS. Living in N.CA. the micro climates change the temperature 20 to 30 degrees in as many miles. Example: Went to the beach(Santa Cruz) Sat. It was 84 in Los Gatos and 62 at the beach. Another example started a trip to Napa from Los Gatos area about 80 hit the North East Bay around 1:00 with high 90's. Arrived in Napa with burned arms and legs. FYI the soft top was never used and the hard top came off and not used after the GTS arrived. The RT10 was and is a great car for those who do not mind putting on the top, giving up luggage space for the top, etc. This issues are why the new SRT10 has a true rag top.
I do like the improved visibility of the RT10/SRT10 over a GTS.
The new rag top is the ticket for those who want that open air feeling with the ability to put up the top in a few seconds with out getting out of the car and giving up trunk space.

Once the GTS arrived the RT10 was a fair weather driver. The GTS has more luggage room for longer trips which is really nice.

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta love it when there is no "bad" choice! I recently bought a Viper (2000 RT/10) and was faced with the same decision, sans any experience with either. So...my thought process went like this:

The car is utterly impractical to the point of being almost an art form...but maybe that cna become part of the appeal...kind of like a Harley.

If you get the GTS it'll be quieter (I think). You won't be changing tops because now you can't. It could be argued that the hardtop makes the car a little more practical, but is that good or bad? I decided that I'd go full-bore toward the impractical, at least for now.

We don't have that many great top-down days here either, but omg...when the forces of nature come together, there's no experience like it.

However...I do know it looks killer as a GTS and it's faster too. I look at the GTS and think it is perhaps the ultimate in styling...and then there's the improved performance thing. Heck I can argue either side. Who knows. My next one may be a GTS.
(do NOT tell my wife I said "next one"...)

Maybe the best thing to do is revel in the qualities of the one you pick and don't let negative thoughts creep in about your choice. I think the only wrong choice would be to buy something other than a Viper.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am going to have to cast a VERY solid vote for the GTS. Only because you chose the PERFECT Viper: Black with silver stripes!
supergrin.gif

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
living down south you have a little different situation.
Being able to use that car almost year round.
Here in the north, (Buffalo NY) I NEVER thought that I would own a RT thought for sure GTS.
But my wife pointed out to me "it is a summer car"
and she is right. I can only use it about 4 months out of the year so I enjoy the top off days. agreed rattles and watch the weather is a pain in the bass but the rewards of a open air drive on a starry night is priceless.

tough choice. my advice drive with the hardtop on for a few weeks and don't take it off for any reason then take it off and you will so appreciate the open air again.
good luck
JIM

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only own my car since December 2000, however prior to my purchase of my RT/10 I gave the GTS alot of though. What made me decide is I feel the car itself is completely impractical. Are you going to go to food shopping with it? Are you going to take it to a mall? Too much risk of a mother with three kids slaming the door into it. The car is summer fun, what better than having the open air. Dont get me wrong I love the GTS, however it doesnt ever have a moon roof. You got 700HP do you really need to go faster? Put wings on it and it can be a plane. Tough decision, good luck. Glad your at least deciding to keep it in the Viper family, there both great.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Joseph,

That's the very reason I sold my RT/10. The top going on and off was a PITA... Always had to watch the weather. Man, that got old.. having to turn around and put the top back on and stuff. The top making noise wasn't fun either.

IMO, if that is what is bothering you , you will like the GTS much more.. I know I did..

Have fun!

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agreee with Gerald!! We both recently went through this same decision (although we had Gen I cars) and both can to the same conclusion. I liked my 94 RT, but love my GTS
smile.gif

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What to do what to do what to do!

I am leaning heavily towards a GTS... I just don't know how long I can be w/o my 700hp beast to have DLM set me up w/ a 700+ HP system!

BTW - Can you fit 2 golf bags in the back fo a GTS? I can't fit any in the RT with the spare in, and I can fit 1.5 if the spare is out...

Anyone have a black GTS w/ silver stripes that they want to trade?

My 99 RT/10 has 11.5k miles on it...

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth