Have we always known the Gen V was gonna be a warmed over Gen IV?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have misread or misinterpreted things early on, but I thought this was going to be a totally new car, save for an updated Gen IV drivetrain. With the earlier interior/seat threads, and now these die-cast threads, its very obvious the car is 80% SRT-10, with new bodywork. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it keeps costs down, and allows for a new Viper to even be built...but just curious if anyone else has been thrown off by this?

Dare I say...this sort of reminds me of the C5-C6 Vette evolution:eater:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, The Hot Wheel highlights some of the points of the car, but it will stand on it's own. Very curvy and bold. No one has seen the interior but I am guessing it will really step up.

Bruce

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's not a new car, then why is the chassis code different? Just sayin'. If I were you I'd wait and see what mechanical details are yet to be revealed. There's still alot for us to know about.

--RS

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im betting it is built on a GEN4 platform. I think thats fine though its called auto evolution use your past success as building block to your next.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutehank,

We heard the same things , to a certain degree, on the Gen III to Gen IV transformation. Since the basic concepts of the chassis are good enough to blow the doors off the competition at Nurburgring , it has some merits to keep some things around. Like the Gen III to Gen IV move , I believe you will see alot more changes than you first envision on the surface. I think when the full data on the car comes out you will be more than pleasantly surprised and what you feel , at present, is a warm over, will succumb to the realization that hamburger and steak are both beef, but there is a quantum difference in the fulfillment. Plan on your steak being rare -- as in rarified air that the new Snake will fly in!!!

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutehank,

We heard the same things , to a certain degree, on the Gen III to Gen IV transformation. Since the basic concepts of the chassis are good enough to blow the doors off the competition at Nurburgring , it has some merits to keep some things around. Like the Gen III to Gen IV move , I believe you will see alot more changes than you first envision on the surface. I think when the full data on the car comes out you will be more than pleasantly surprised and what you feel , at present, is a warm over, will succumb to the realization that hamburger and steak are both beef, but there is a quantum difference in the fulfillment. Plan on your steak being rare -- as in rarified air that the new Snake will fly in!!!

I'm not at all impressed with the body designs of the models...but my money is on the Viper Oracle!

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am on my 4th viper and was looking forward to the new design. I'm not a traditionalist and was looking for something more aggressive and mean looking. I'll reserve final judgment until I see the performance specs, but my VoooDoo is looking better and better

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking to Ralph he said the new Gen 5 will easily out handle a current ACR ********...and that's just the "base" Viper. So you know the new ACR will be one bad *****. So...do you think the chassis is the same? More power, better handling.....the 20% that isn't new is from the parts bin to save on production costs.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a GenV. As already said the Gen3/4 chassis is still exceptional, technology directly applied both in strength and rigidity, safety and weight saving from the GTS-R race program data findings. A 13 year old GTS-R proved itself quicker than the latest Merc SLR GT3 recently and my early Comp Coupe quicker than a much newer Audi R8. The ACR is King of the 'Ring, and the Comp Coupes currently remain very competitive in GT3 / GT2 spec (when they are not heavily penalised with race politics trying to even cars out!) this is a caged Gen 3 / 4 chassis! I was wondering in the beginning if given the Prowler was built on an aluminium chassis at CAAP, if this was going to be the direction for the Gen5 chassis to save weight, but why fix a good thing and with more expensive materials? We will not be disappointed by what's under the hood, SRT are very in touch with what the Viper nation wants with their cars. The traction control too is a good thing, I know legislation is dictating that, but computers can read wheel slip and control engine power much faster than people, by the time we've felt the wheel slip the cars already lost its grip and unsettled. SRT have thoroughly tested the new under hood package at tracks in USA, those Ford GT style hood vents aren't there for show, they are efficient in required cooling and aero. :D There you go...hey Bill, do I get a job in sales with ya? :2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is dis-heartening that folks are not giving the car a chance till it debuts in April and throwing thier eggs in a basket on a Hot Wheel design. Based on that little car and the few shots released we have an IDEA of what the next Beast will look like. There are still several unknowns about the car that should also make it shine. Performance, Handling and braking, Interior. the main focus has been overal appearance and from what I saw at VOI it is the perfect evolution forward in modern car design and Viper Heritage. I for one can not wait to see these hit the streets.

Put your faith in SRT

Bruce

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking to Ralph he said the new Gen 5 will easily out handle a current ACR ********...and that's just the "base" Viper. So you know the new ACR will be one bad *****. So...do you think the chassis is the same? More power, better handling.....the 20% that isn't new is from the parts bin to save on production costs.

Ralph said the base Gen 5 Viper will out handle the current ACR???

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is dis-heartening that folks are not giving the car a chance till it debuts in April and throwing thier eggs in a basket on a Hot Wheel design. Based on that little car and the few shots released we have an IDEA of what the next Beast will look like. There are still several unknowns about the car that should also make it shine. Performance, Handling and braking, Interior. the main focus has been overal appearance and from what I saw at VOI it is the perfect evolution forward in modern car design and Viper Heritage. I for one can not wait to see these hit the streets.

Put your faith in SRT

Bruce

For me it's all part of the fun surrounding a new car reveal. It's better to have lower expectations and be blown away than have high expectations and be disappointed. I had very high expectations for the SRT8 Jeep and was let down. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing machine. I will still probably purchase one when they get the new transmission and updated head unit. But my hopes were high and it was not what I thought would be delivered. For the new Viper, I've had lower expectations but would really like to see a home run.

My 2 cents

black08

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The base Gen 5 will "easily out handle" a ******** Gen 4 ACR? Impressive!!

F

FrgMstr

I am fully expecting a "throwback" to the Gen II hatchback at this point. Meh.

F

FrgMstr

I'm fully HOPING for a "throwback" to Gen II....freshened a bit of course! Looks like we're going that way with the teases. :2tu:

A throwback to a car built in the late 60s or 70s has merit, backtracking 10 years is grasping at straws IMO. If you want to buy something that harkens to days gone by, I think those days should have gone by quite a while ago. Reverting to a decade old design will not be well accepted well.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not "grasping at straws" if half of the folks on the VCA forums were asking SRT specifically to revive the curviness of the Gen II. The front design has been evolved, as well as the rest of the car. If you don't buy one, someone else will.

F

FrgMstr

I see it as grasping at straws. If a clownshoe hatchback is what folks want then it looks likely hopefully that is what they will get. I for one will never own a Viper hatchback. I hope SRT does well with it. I would much rather see a "throwback" to an evolved Gen I personally. I just don't see reverting to the previous body design as a good strategy for SRT.

There are plenty of threads to bestow praise on it. Personally I am glad to see a thread that is specifically critical.

And in the end, none of us have actually seen the damn thing yet, so who knows what it is going to look like in real life. Surely I will be at a dealership when I can to look at one to make a final judgement.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to understand SRT's dilemma: If they change the design too much, people complain that it's not a Viper and looks too much like something else; If they change the design too little, people complain that it hasn't changed enough and looks too much like a Viper. We knew all along that the design was supposed to be evolutionary, why are certain people so surprised all of a sudden? Idk what you were ranting about when you talk about a "clownshoe hatchback." The model clearly shows it's not a hatch, and well If you think this Viper looks like a clown shoe, you should think all vipers look like clown shoes because they all have the same proportions (basically)

F

FrgMstr

You have to understand SRT's dilemma: If they change the design too much, people complain that it's not a Viper and looks too much like something else; If they change the design too little, people complain that it hasn't changed enough and looks too much like a Viper. We knew all along that the design was supposed to be evolutionary, why are certain people so surprised all of a sudden? Idk what you were ranting about when you talk about a "clownshoe hatchback." The model clearly shows it's not a hatch, and well If you think this Viper looks like a clown shoe, you should think all vipers look like clown shoes because they all have the same proportions (basically)

Oh, poor SRT. Can't design a new car to sell so they will have to redesign an old one. Tell you what. If SRT is in such a "dilemma" then it would be better off just putting big engines in Dodge's rather than building a "new" Viper. SRT is interested in one priority, making money. Evolution and throwing back to the last body design are two different strategies in my opinion. I am not surprised, never said I was, just sharing my opinion.

"Clownshoe" is hardly a rant and an accepted slang description of the Gen II. And technically it is a hatchback. Deal with it. And that description hardly applies to the convertible of all generations. Wake up and smell the brake fluid.

Again there are plenty of Gen V threads here for you to go drink the Koolaid in. Can't wait to see the Gen V in person, but I can already tell you I will not be buying one. Vipers are just like Pam Anderson and Angelina Jolie, all are so much better *******. :D

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The overriding concern is ...PROPORTION. The frontal view ..or character lines... can be represented in a Hot Wheels toy...but even great photography of the real item will not represent the appeal of the car.
I am not too concerned about the styling..only as a general concept.

The real test is seeing it in the flesh. That is why design studios make a 1/2 scale or full scale mock up in clay.

Only then can be seen (from a 3D walkaround ) how to refine the important aspects of LINE, PROPORTION, and STANCE.

This final phase of development is what makes or breaks the 'clown shoe'

Of course the chassis and power train underneath also are a concern but..

I am optimistic that all these details have been sweated out and believe the final result will be FANTASTIC

:)