Hellcat "Suspended" by Dodge?

Discussion in 'Driven' started by PeerBlock, Mar 17, 2015.

1. PeerBlock

PeerBlock Viper Owner

Is this really a thing?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/16/dodge-hellcats-are-so-hot-got-suspended/

I mean, I was seriously considering putting in an order for one of the hellcats, probably the charger since I'd be using it as a DD.

I thought SRT got their act together with the Viper rollout fiasco from a few years ago. They should be more nimble in meeting customer demand...and come on, you put a 700 HP engine in a nice car that handles great, price it around $60K and expect them not to sell? They literally have no competitors in that price range in terms of what you get with a Hellcat.

2. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ Staff Member

Sounds like a responsible thing to do for me

3. PeerBlock

PeerBlock Viper Owner

So there actually is a hellcat shortage and it's not just them saying that to stir up interest?

As for the MSRP markup, they are within their rights to do that and it may seem like a good idea in the short term to play that game, but in the long run it just pisses people off and makes them less likely to ever visit your dealership again. I would not do business with a dealer that tried to add a markup to a car's MSRP for any reason.

4. diamond head

diamond head Enthusiast

It goes to show the car makers, build what the public wants not forced onto them.

5. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ Staff Member

I agree.......

6. Nsane1

Nsane1 Viper Owner

Here here. I bet these guys were PRECISELY trying to learn the lesson from the Viper rollout, don't over commit and then have a bunch of stuff sitting around. However, this time they built an awesome car with little competition, priced it right, and marketed the hell out of it, and low and behold, they can't build them fast enough.

I bet more people know about the hellcat than think the Viper is still being made, even now.

7. 2001-V10 Power Nut

2001-V10 Power Nut Enthusiast

I bet more people know about the hellcat than think the Viper is still being made, even now. AGREED !!

8. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Went to a few dealers in NJ, all wanted a huge mark up, so no Hellcat for me.:usa:

9. Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse VCA Member - West

It is quite likely that there are close to three times as many deposits as cars Dodge can build. The delays are mainly common sense, as getting all the suppliers to increase their production 3 fold is not an easy task. In my 25 years in the automotive business this excitement and pandemonium is unprecedented. Dodge can not control Dealers marking up the cars, but many of us who deal in the Performance Market realize that gearhead consumers remember those Franchises that play that game and seldom buy there a second time. We have not marked the Hellcat Challengers or Hellcat Chargers up at all, but we also have informed clients that it will be a long time for delivery - again it is just a simple case of not being able to ramp up production as fast as the consumer desires , when the demand is beyond what any Marketing Data imagined. Kind of neat to show that even in the days of computers and massive amounts of data collection, the human excitement factor can not be quantified.

10. Nsane1

Nsane1 Viper Owner

None of this bodes well for my Jeep Hellcat, trackhawk, or whatever to replace my 15 Jeep SRT. Darn.

I know of one way to get a hellcat out of an existing allocation for CHEAP (raffle hint hint) :)

11. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Nsane, you are right, when I get home I am buying a ticket.:D