Helmet Needed?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I didn't have helmets for the last VOI and some were provided, but there were just a few, so they have to be shared amongst drivers during each event.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Purchase a helmet to provide the level of protection you wish for your head. (safety ratings usually on stickers and sewed into linings.)

Visor for the level of protection you wish to provide for your eyes and face.

Motorcycle helmets usually do not provide for fire protection, as their linings are combustable. (Some events allow the wearing of a Nomex or equilivent head covering in lieu of automotive rating for cycle helmets)

Automotive helmets usually have fire resistant fabric linings.

Different helmet manufacturers tend to fit different shaped heads, so trying them on at a local safety equipment distributor is always a good idea.

Internet prices are generally lower than from those in stores.

Newer is better than older.

Some events require certain safety certificates and dates. You need to contact them to determine requirements.

(or just pick the one that matches the color of your car: >)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will have to see what the helmet rating is this time around. Mine is a Snell 2000 rated. It's a bike helmet since that was all I could find at the time. Might have to look into getting something newer.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the more important question would be are we going to need roll bars if we have a Gen-3 vert?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I bring the car.

"IF"?? While you will have a good time if you go without the car...YOu will have a GREAT time if you DO bring the car. I convinced my buddy to bring his car to VOI 11 and he was glad he did. You will be kicking yourself if you don't bring it.

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wahoo! Thanks to everyone's help so far. It sounds like I'll roll the dice and see if there is a helmet on-site, if I bring the car.

Why not just buy a helmet ... There not very expensive. Look at it like a gun ... Rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If you buy a helmet it just gives you more reason to take the Viper to the track more often.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI there are usually a few helmets for loan, and people tend to offer there's up if someone needs them.

The problem is that you usually need to get in line to go out on the track for your run, and need to have your helmet on a couple minutes before going out, so sometimes it get a little hectic.

Best to have your own helmet.

For VOI it is not necessary to have the latest and greatest. Most helmets are acceptable, and will allow you on the track, however you will not need to push the envelope in case someone at the track decides to inforce a standard.

It is not a bad idea for many viper owners to have their own helmet, as often clubs offer performance events that require helmets, and it is good to have one handy.

Lots of good helmets available that do not cost a lot. You will also want a helmet bag to keep it good looking.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just buy a helmet ... There not very expensive. Look at it like a gun ... Rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If you buy a helmet it just gives you more reason to take the Viper to the track more often.

The problem for us with convertibles is transporting the helmet if driving to VOI. Trunk space is definitely limited.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verts have limited space, and it is not unusual to see them in the passenger footwell. Think you can get a helmet behind the drivers headrest, but will not be able to drop the top. I remember putting extra clothes and other soft items behind the seats in the top well. Remember to save some space for your goodie bag stuff, and anything you may purchase at the memorabilia vendors.

For Coupes there is lots of space on the "parcel shelf". Room for one full sized helmet in each corner. Does not block visibility.

You can also pack socks, underwear and tshirts inside the helmets if things get tight.

At VOI there is no need for full coverage. 3/4 helmets are certaintly acceptable. Motorcycle helmets work well too.

Not unusual for some to UPS a box back home with un-needed items after VOI's.

Another strategy is to wear some older clothes, socks and underwear, and just throw them away after they are dirty. Makes room for buying additional new clothes from the vendors.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will have loaners at VOI, but I heard if you put a plastic bag inside you can turn it upside down and use as a cooler on the way there.:D

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will have to see what the helmet rating is this time around. Mine is a Snell 2000 rated. It's a bike helmet since that was all I could find at the time. Might have to look into getting something newer.

A 2000 rating is below anything you want to wear on a bike OR in a car! That is one OLD sucker. I would think that your noggin is worth more that that helmet! Did you know that helmets have a shelf life? The material inside the shell that protects your BRAIN degrades with time, even in your closet. Do yourself and your kids a favor and at least update your head protection!

For the rest of you, can you recommend a good source for an automotive helmet? I have my bike helmets (newer than the above), but I'm ready to get one just for the car and occational track events. Any advice would be appreciated.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I read this thread correctly, full face is not required right? I have a 2005 open face

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For most tracks you need SA2005 and forward. The SA (special applications) is important and distinguishes them from motorcycle helmets. The SA's are generally accepted as safe for 10 years.....I think it'd be hard to find a new SA2000 these days, so buying a 2010 would mean you're good until 2020.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I read this thread correctly, full face is not required right? I have a 2005 open face

NASA, SCCA, and NARRA are all requiring full face helmets now but HPDE might let you run once with open face. I got a combination open face and full face - no visor. Maybe not the safest choice but I wear glasses.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Full face is not normally required for HPDE and I don't believe the VCA or the track will require closed face helmets for the driving events at Charlotte, though you will be better off buying one and shipping it to the hotel if space is limited.

Bell makes a good, basic automotive helmet for around $300.00. Just be sure to try them on as above. A poorly fitting helmet can cause problems.

For more info on the driving events, see the post titled "Road Course ???" in this section.

I have both open and closed face helmets and use both depending upon what I'm doing. I prefer open face for comfort. If you decide to go "open face", be sure to wear eye protection. I like the Oakley shatter resistant glasses for driving but any good polarized sunglasses that wraps the sides of your eyes is helpful. Getting a small piece of sand or asphalt in your eye while driving over 100 mph while passing someone can be uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous.

As above, the newer the Automotive helmet the better. Snell 2000 would be my guess at the minimum. Snell 2000 helmets were sold up until mid 2005, so some of them aren't that old.

If you aren't bringing a proper helmet, everyone who plans to drive the track and drag events at VOI 12 should buy a Nomex "head sock" as a minimum. These are very small, pack easily and it's not fun or hygenic to put someone else's sweaty helmet on without something between your head and the previous users.

See you at the track,

Dan

Last edited:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the information I got from previous events.

1. Motorcycle Helmets are acceptable but not recommended

2. Like most tracks, they require a minimum of the last two saftey standards. The last one was 2010 and the one before that was 2005. So you will need at least an SA2005 or Snell2005. I have been a victum of this before, so this is very important. Those that have done many track days before will tell you the one thing they look for is the rating. So, not only does it need to be at least 2005 but you must be able to find the sticker or tag that says it.

3. I haven't heard anything about full face, but mine is anyway and I didn't ask.

Hope that helps.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem for us with convertibles is transporting the helmet if driving to VOI. Trunk space is definitely limited.
As long as SRT doesn't give out 2 large clocks per car again you should be ok :eater:

I traveled with 2 helmets and lots of clothing in my car... I found space bags were the bomb, then stack them inside garment bags. I'd take one regular bag with toiletry items and all the rest would just lay flat on top. Have to say though after leaving VOI9 with all the goodies... There wasn't an inch of free space!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a newer motorcycle helmet, you may be able to wear it if you have a Nomex or equilivent head sock to wear under it.

The reason motorcycle helmets are often not accepted is because they do not have flame resistant linings. People rarely get burned in motorcycle accidents, but cars are another story.

Insurance underwriters usually want you to have modern and safe equipment.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The latest word from CMS aka Charlotte Motor Speedway is that we'll all need at least Snell 2005 Helmets to drive on their track. No motorcycle helmets and no Snell 2000 helmets will be allowed.

See you at the track,

Dan

ylosnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beside a helmet do Gen 1 Roadsters need a top? I never use mine but could bring it along. Takes up too much space in the trunk.
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper