Help!! Check Engine Light is on

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just pulled my cats off and installed a straight pipe into my TNT exhaust. When I started my car the check engine light came on and won't go off. I thought the light came on because I had the airbox off to install new K&N air filters. I have the airbox back together again and still have the light. The only other thing I've done was change the oil and filter (mobil 1, K&N filter). Any suggestions or fixes would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dump the codes and that will tell you exactly what it is. You can clear the light with a scanner too. If it's the Air Temp Sensor, it will eventually clear after a few on/off cycles or you can clear it with the scanner.

OP
OP
B

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm kinda a novice at the electronic aspect of the car. I understand what the codes are but I'm not sure how to dump(reset?) them. Sorry for the ignorance but I am still learning.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its on because you pulled the cats.

Call Sean Roe 1 866 275 7326 and order his cat simms.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yep you need the simms your viper might be in safe mode (running verry rich) don't drive it much until you get the simms and reset the ecu. You can unplug the battery for 5-10 min to clear the codes. I had this on my srt and i lost 45hp due to fouled plug b/c of a ck engine light.

vd..

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone needs to buy a ODBII scanner, one that lets you read codes as well as erase them. For under $100.00 , it will be the most important mod you can buy..... ;)

G

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PCM remembers the most recently triggered codes as far as I know. So you need to reset the thing. The good news is that if you go to autozone, they have one you can usually "borrow" in the parking lot. But an Actron or the one Sean Roe sells all work well.

Since you are in Maryland, Jason Heffner might be a good person to get some help from...

Good luck!

JD

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
try this it worked for me, there is a fuse box in the back by the amp. Unplug the top fuse with the car off, plug it back in and start the car. It's the normal looking fuse, I think it's a(20).

Isaac

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on replacing my battery tray next so I'll be taking my battery out of the car. Will my codes reset automatically and will it be safe to drive afterwards?

It will reset your codes and it will be safe to drive. You DO NOT need o2 sims on your 1997. Did you plug the air temp sensor back in before you turned the ignition on ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony replied before I could type this up, same comments different words.

1. The 97 WILL NOT set a hard code (visible) because the cats have been removed.

2. The odds are if you removed the air box the problem is with the air temp sensor on the passenger side area of the air box. This will set the code immediately.

3. Disconnecting the battery will erase the code.

To check the code, cycle the key on/ off three times and leave it on during a fourth attempt. The lights will start to blink. Count the blinks between a longer pause. All codes both hard and soft will be displayed. When you get a 5-5 that is the end of the trouble codes. You will have to do it a couple of times to get the timing down, however, it will get easy to read after a couple of attempts.

Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also...did you use any lubricant to get the O2 sensors off!?!?! If you used oil...or another oil to loosen the O2 sensors, you might have ruined them....

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dont mean to sound like a broken record here, but take it from someone with the same year as you and also removed there cats. YOU WILL NOT SET OFF LIGHTS DUE TO NO CATS, IF YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SIMS THEN YOU JUST TOSSED GOOD GREEN IN THE TOILET. those that say you do have no idea what they are saying. I bet the world you threw a code from not having the airbox hooked up to the motor when you started the car. turning off the car and re starting will not turn it off. once its on its on till you reset the light. disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes or buy a obd2 scan/reset tool. you should have one anyway they are a valueble tool to have on these cars. if you doubt my advise then call roe racing and tell them your dilemma. they will advise not selling you the over priced sims as well. If you still feel compelled to waste your money i am currently taking donations on my latest project. thanks. josh

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10kingsnake said:
turning off the car and re starting will not turn it off. once its on its on till you reset the light.

Actually, I have set the check engine light on for this very reason before, and it has cleared after several drive cycles. Then again, 2000 year PCM programming may differ from 97 in this regard. But no doubt, everyone should have a scanner.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you need the sims on the 2000 Not the 97. it may have gone away on your 2000 but without the simsrest assured it will come back

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth