Help!! Exhaust Q..want to wake the dead!!

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizards of Viperdom,

I am seeking advice with my viper exhaust system. I have pulled my stock 03 crossover system (what a pain in the a$$) and am looking to replace it with a true side exhaust I have purchased from an 08. I want 'stinkin loud' so after all of the threads I have read, the best way to achieve this is by pulling the cats and running pipes to the muffler...ok Im gonna put in the 08 mufflers. From what I have read this presents multiple problems with CELs. So, and in the intrest of "off road use only", how do I achieve my goal? I could pull the secondaries and zip tie those o2 sensors, and leave the primaries but is this loud enough? Can I pull both and use sims for the primary o2 sensors? Are there problems with this? I want crazy mean loud, and no codes, and more hp, and more money and ...ok lets just stick to the first three......is this a possibility?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not run metallic 3" cats on 3" exhaust with long tube headers?

That should be plenty loud and still have cats for O2 sensors to work properly.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not run metallic 3" cats on 3" exhaust with long tube headers?

That should be plenty loud and still have cats for O2 sensors to work properly.

Thanks....can I get around running cats, metalic, substrate or other and still not throw codes?

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure about with my viper, but with my ford I can turn off the 02 sensors with a tuner, and it makes it so it doesn't throw any codes. If you can't find a tuner that turns them off since that is becomming less and less common, you can always bring the tuner to a dyno tuner place, and they will have a special program that lets them change more parameters. They'll be able to turn off the 02 sensors for you.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about with my viper, but with my ford I can turn off the 02 sensors with a tuner, and it makes it so it doesn't throw any codes. If you can't find a tuner that turns them off since that is becomming less and less common, you can always bring the tuner to a dyno tuner place, and they will have a special program that lets them change more parameters. They'll be able to turn off the 02 sensors for you.

Perfect! Thanks brother. Although there is a hint of uncertainty, this is what I want to hear. Is there anyone else that can comment on this, or has contacts that can provide this service, please chime in. Im in Alberta Canada..yes I know its Gods Country.

Last edited:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You will need to keep the upstream o2's in place or risk an overly rich or lean condition. Anti foulers should work fine for the downstream sensors though.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it, and a thread to boot. So I leave in the upstream, and use one, or even double up the spark plug non foulers and plug in the o2 sensors, thereby completely removing the sensor from the exhaust stream on the second or downstream sensor. Sweet! Thanks gentlemen

Last edited:

Powerstick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Powerstick. Thanks. I keep watching them over and over with mixed results. American headers ya thats what I want now...then I watch it again and its Belangers....hmm. I think the solution is many many vipers with a wide range of setups. Too bad my eyes are bigger than my wallet. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper