Help!!!! I cant keep my polished lips clean.

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the i-forged wheels with 4inch polished lips.Whats the best method after washing them to keep them from getting dirty again. While im driving down the road it looks like excess water is splashing on them from trapped water inside of the lug nut holes.
They look great clean but after one time down the road they are dirty again and then look like crap.I dont think i would recomend them to anyone.:nono:

Last edited:

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use a small shop vac after washing them to **** up the watter befor driving

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't wash them.
I use a microfiber cloth and some detailer spray to clean them initially, then a quick polish of the rim barrel. You could also use some wheel wax once they're completely clean to minimize dirt and brake dust build-up.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't wash them.
I use a microfiber cloth and some detailer spray to clean them initially, then a quick polish of the rim barrel. You could also use some wheel wax once they're completely clean to minimize dirt and brake dust build-up.

Wouldnt this scrath them?:dunno:I hate the way polished wheels look with fine scratches.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you blow the water out, I've found that Never Dull wadding works great for polishing (I thank Uncle Sam for introducing me to it) followed by a clean micro-fiber towel to buff out. Easy to work with, removes all contaminants, and buffs VERY easily. I do recommend you wear hand condoms to keep the dirt out of your finger nails if you're of the prim and proper type. :D

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell you what, I'll trade my stock 94 wheels for your Iforged wheels. Please send me your address so I can pack up my wheels. I would love to have this problem that you are having. . . ha

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you blow the water out, I've found that Never Dull wadding works great for polishing (I thank Uncle Sam for introducing me to it) followed by a clean micro-fiber towel to buff out. Easy to work with, removes all contaminants, and buffs VERY easily. I do recommend you wear hand condoms to keep the dirt out of your finger nails if you're of the prim and proper type. :D

I never new what never dull was till I joined the Navy. Great stuff

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt this scrath them?:dunno:I hate the way polished wheels look with fine scratches.

If your wheels haven't been cleaned in a year, then yes, you'll have to wash them. Otherwise, liberal use of detailing spray (which is water-based) and a CLEAN microfiber towel shouldn't scratch a thing. A good wheel polish like Mothers I rub in with a CLEAN terrycloth cotton towel, which not only will make the barrel look like new, but I've used it to also remove or reduce fine scratches on previous wheels I've had. I then buff the polished finish with a different clean microfiber towel.

If your front wheels are getting considerably dusty, and you don't track your car, consider using some different pads.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your wheels haven't been cleaned in a year, then yes, you'll have to wash them. Otherwise, liberal use of detailing spray (which is water-based) and a CLEAN microfiber towel shouldn't scratch a thing. A good wheel polish like Mothers I rub in with a CLEAN terrycloth cotton towel, which not only will make the barrel look like new, but I've used it to also remove or reduce fine scratches on previous wheels I've had. I then buff the polished finish with a different clean microfiber towel.

If your front wheels are getting considerably dusty, and you don't track your car, consider using some different pads.

Ok,I will give this a try.And the vaccume thing is a good idea.:cool:.Thanks for the help.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is almost impossible. I have posted on here several times for a solution but with all the grooves and openings in the HRE/IForged wheels, it is pretty diffucult to keep them both dry and clean from brake dust.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 545r's which are both easy to clean and easy to polish. I just did them yesterday using Mothers Powerball. Works well. Took an hour to do all four. They look brand new.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like everyone said, after washing make sure they are Dry

My routine is:
after everyother drive i wipe the brake dust off with a Dry microfiber. (if wet the brake dust smears) Next i turn the miro inside out and wipe with a tad of QD to leave alittle extra shine&protection.

about every other week i'll hit the lips with some paste aluminum polish

and about every other month i'll hit em with the Drill/Powerball

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I vaccumed all the water out of the lug nut holes and the little bolts holes.drove it down the road and still the same thing happens.:evilmad:What about the inside barrel of the wheels?Is water sitting on the bottom and coming out when the wheels spin:dunno:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the water will sit in there. I take the car for a quick spin and then dry where needed. A quick final spray works well to shine everything.

Ok, I vaccumed all the water out of the lug nut holes and the little bolts holes.drove it down the road and still the same thing happens.:evilmad:What about the inside barrel of the wheels?Is water sitting on the bottom and coming out when the wheels spin:dunno:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I fold up about three paper towels and sit them in the barrel for about 30 minutes. Soaks the residual water right up.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use my air compressor, I blow out the water from the holes and inner barrel. I also usely wash the night before Im going on a drive, so any excess moisture in vbarrel dries up and doesnt fling out next day Im driving. But I only wash my car/rims 10% of the time.
The other 90%, I do as others stated. I use mico fiber towels and spray detailer. Sometimes I use just the detail shine, other times I use the Eagle one carnuba spray wax. Just spray and wipe. Every once and awhile, I'll use some wheel polish. I still use a micro fiber towel to apply it and one to buff it out. The wheels look good, but they will NEVER look like day one, unless you sand and machine polish them. But Im ok with that.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,that was the problem(water sitting inside of the barrel).Just vaccume the lug nut holes and the inside of the barrels and you will be fine.:2tu:.No water spots.I now have another problem.:mad:I washed my rims the other day and on the front polished part of my rims it looks like ive picked up some kind of liquid off of the road and where it sat for a period of time it left some sort of residue behind that wont come off.Kinda looks like water spot but wont come off.It also feels real dry and rough where they are.I tried using wax and some other wheel cleaning product and nothing worked.Could this be oxidization of some sort?:dunno: I will try to post pics tom.

P.S.-Are the lips machined shined or clear coted? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The polished i-forged wheel lips are not clear coated.They are machined polished.I used some mothers polish on them and it helped.Still some small places that wont come off.Alot of work just to keep your wheels clean.:crazy2:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider this. If they were cleared, you would probably have more problems since the dirt, acid, brake residue will eat into the clear more so than the unsealed lip. Also it is much easier to scratch the clear than the lip itself. And if you do, a little polishing takes it right out. While upkeep is a bit more tedious, it works in your favor.

The polished i-forged wheel lips are not clear coated.They are machined polished.I used some mothers polish on them and it helped.Still some small places that wont come off.Alot of work just to keep your wheels clean.:crazy2:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never Dull will scratch the $hi^ out of those babies. It's great for old bells or removing rust off chrome, but NEVER on a set of mirror polished rims. As everyone one else said, use a leaf blower and expect to spend alot of time trying to keep those things clean.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is a cool dryer that you can keep in the trunk. I know most don't go to car washes but I have a nice place that really gives you a good wash (won't touch the wheels) and after I pull in the shaded interior clean and vacuum area I use this and it works great. Sometime when I get home I use it again but for $100 its worth it to me. It does my motorcycle and bicycles,jetski,etc. There are stronger and more expensive ones but I find this works great. When you are out of town its perfect. I have it attached to the tire pump (08). At home the compressor as stated above does the job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten