Help, NO gears selecting when engine runs, Car has sat in garage for the winter.

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all I have just gone to my Viper and tried to move it out of the garage and found that I can not select any gears when the engine is running! When the engine is off I can select all gears. It was fine before it was stood up which was maybe for 6-8 months on alxe stands.

I have tried pumping the pedal lots of times and fast but nothing has changed. The reservoir is full (though it looks quite old fluid). The pedal has a stiff spring feel but no mechanical feel but never really driven the car as I have put new headgaskets on it last year and was waiting for the better weather before using it so not sure how it used to feel.

Any Ideas what I can try?
Thanks Guys
Paul

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the clutch sticks to the pressure plate. Open the garage door and clear any thing thats in the way. Put the car in reverse with the engine off. Start the car with the E brake on, it will start to back up, keep your foot all the way down on the clutch, if it was just stuck it should let go, if not the clutch master or slave is bad.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve e:3282091 said:
Sometimes the clutch sticks to the pressure plate. Open the garage door and clear any thing thats in the way. Put the car in reverse with the engine off. Start the car with the E brake on, it will start to back up, keep your foot all the way down on the clutch, if it was just stuck it should let go, if not the clutch master or slave is bad.

X 2 good advice but be very careful.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is facing the garage door put it in 4th gear, that would be the best because the ratio is against the clutch and helps break it lose.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a member put his Viper through his garage door with this maneuver...as he forgot about opening the door first.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a member put his Viper through his garage door with this maneuver...as he forgot about opening the door first.

I know I shouldnt have laughed out loud whilst reading that but Charles Darwin may of had a point!

Thanks I am hoping the plate has stuck and i can free it as mentioned. I was thinking of rolling it out of the garage and putting it in gear whilst I dip the clutch to the floor and getting some mates to rock the car whilst in gear before resorting to starting it in gear. Could this work or should I just try and start it in gear? I guess trying this on the grass is not going to work well and i may need to push the car to the front of the house to get a better surface to grip on?

Thanks for all your comments.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about if i disconnect the ignition leads and just try using the starter motor?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Viperpaul, your reaction to the above misadventure was the same as mine. Fortunately, most of the damage was to the guy's garage and not the Viper...noting the driver was fine (except for a bruised ego...and wallet). While I have occasionally suffered a stuck clutch on a couple of cars (VW Beetle, 911 Porsche, V-12 Ferrari...all following a "prolonged rest"), I have certainly seen many Viper slave cylinders fail...some without obvious fluid loss or evidence of leaking per owner inspection. This usually seems to occur in a car with old, long-neglected clutch fluid...some of which was factory fill in a 15 year old Viper.

What ever you attempt...have a clear path ahead.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whatever you do, PLEASE video it! :D

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im waiting until the weekend to get a few mates round and hopefully it will be a decent day and not raining as it is now!

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had this problem on another car. Disk had 'bonded' itself to the flywheel or pressure plate. I got the engine and drive train very warm, had my wife hold the clutch pedal down, put the transmission in 4th, then, with the engine off, neighbor and I rocked the car back and forth by hand. The clutch broke free easily after only a few rocks.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had this problem on another car. Disk had 'bonded' itself to the flywheel or pressure plate. I got the engine and drive train very warm, had my wife hold the clutch pedal down, put the transmission in 4th, then, with the engine off, neighbor and I rocked the car back and forth by hand. The clutch broke free easily after only a few rocks.

Thanks all, I did this and it came free as soon as we pushed it. Happy days!!! All good now Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper