HELP!! NO TRANSMISSION PARTS FROM DEALER?

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My baby 98 RT is in Archer Dodge in Houston. They say I have a future tranny problem. "neutral gear rattle" He said there are many versions and could be caused by a number of things. I was told there are NO DODGE parts available for the transmission. He said the dealers only option is to replace the whole TRANNY. Since I am out of warranty (stupid me) I would think/hope someone else does make internal viper transmission parts. HELP????

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Neutral gear rattle is not a defect. Do a search.

Beyond that, the trans is a T-56 and parts are available through other sources.</FONT f>

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUD,
Have them change the fluid in it first! See if that works? They all have a "neutral gear rattle" some more then others! New fluid does help! Then if that does not do it, call me and we'll set you up with a "Service Contract" and then let them replace it! PARTS ARE AVAILABLE!! The Dealer has to call for them! It's probable to much trouble for them or they don't know what to do about a Viper!
confused.gif

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
I believe LEVEL 10 does them call Nick at Modern Perf
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the h$ll is that? OH it must be an "Evan" thing?
sarcblink.gif

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing, first: Go somewhere else! Archer is not know for their Viper competence. Try Northwest Dodge, or call/e-mail Prashant for a recommendation.

I live 5 miles from Archer, and I wish I could trust them, but everyone warns me against them.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you take it to the dealer because of the rattle? If the rattle isn't so bad that it causes you real concern, just let it go. You might look for a new, replacement on ebay if you want to save some money. You should be able to find a great deal on a NEW one if you have time to wait. It's not an unusual transmission. I might be uninformed but I don't think this is going to get worse very fast. You could take it to a good local transmission shop. Any good shop should be able to fix it or replace it.
You might try driving in some gear other than neutral ;-)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
BUD,
Have them change the fluid in it first! See if that works? They all have a "neutral gear rattle" some more then others! New fluid does help! Then if that does not do it, call me and we'll set you up with a "Service Contract" and then let them replace it! PARTS ARE AVAILABLE!! The Dealer has to call for them! It's probable to much trouble for them or they don't know what to do about a Viper!
confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
BUD,
confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG how can it get any better than this.

Once again Chuck Tator comes through.

Bud I would quick take him up on this offer before he realizes what he said.
supergrin.gif

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go buy a new one on e-bay Tremec T-56 They aren't difficult to change. I just did it in a couple or three hours. Dodge wants $5,500 for a new one.

Don't any of you guys do your own work? Hey, no offense but with a name like <FONT size="5">"Bud"</FONT s> I would think so.

OP
OP
B

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a little of my own work. 1/2 my tools are in storage and the other 1/2 lost. Walter is my real name. No offense taken. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad_Byte:
Go buy a new one on e-bay Tremec T-56 They aren't difficult to change. I just did it in a couple or three hours. Dodge wants $5,500 for a new one.

Don't any of you guys do your own work? Hey, no offense but with a name like <FONT size="5">"Bud"</FONT s> I would think so.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUD:
My baby 98 RT is in Archer Dodge in Houston. They say I have a future tranny problem. "neutral gear rattle" He said the dealers only option is to replace the whole TRANNY. Since I am out of warranty (stupid me)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a classic case of a dealership service department trying to whip up a wonderfully large repair ticket for themselves and charge full retail for a simple parts swap. Talk to some of the other Houston area Viper owners and follow their recommendations on dealerships to work with.