Help On Quick Disconnect - Broken Fule Line

R

RTED

I searched the forum and could not find a thread on a broken fuel line. HELP!!

I guess I was lucky the first time I changed the F$%&** fuel filter on my Gen I. Today, not so lucky. The input side fuel line broke just above the quick disconnect prior to the fule filter. It appears that the disconnect fitting was pressed fit into the fuel line tube. Anyone else have the fuel line break? Are the disconnect fittings available? :dunno:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched the forum and could not find a thread on a broken fuel line. HELP!!

I guess I was lucky the first time I changed the F$%&** fuel filter on my Gen I. Today, not so lucky. The input side fuel line broke just above the quick disconnect prior to the fule filter. It appears that the disconnect fitting was pressed fit into the fuel line tube. Anyone else have the fuel line break? Are the disconnect fittings available? :dunno:

should be able to find the repair parts at the local napa store. Use a heat gun to put the pieces together. Careful with the heat, too much and the tube distorts.:2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTED, it's not so bad. I used replacement inlet and outlet fuel line fittings in an attempt to make a fuel line check valve to prevent the common long cranking starting problem. (It worked, but too well since the heat soak at the engine end causes too much pressure build up leading to leaks.)

They were easily found, but sorry I can't remember where I actually got them. Here is a picture of what I did;

My recollection is that you don't use a heat gun. Part of the fix-it kit is a barbed connector that was moderately difficult to push into the plastic hose, but surprisingly always leak-free. You get the metal tube end with flange, the disconnect end, and the "special tool" to disengage it. I can fit a bunch of the spare parts into a $5 flat rate shipping box if you want them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTED

Tom,

I think I am going to replace the entire line for piece of mind. Looks like there is an access panel in the trunk to get to the tank fitting for the filter filter line. Drill out a few rivets, pry of the panel that is "glued in place" and I should have easy access (according to the shop manual). Thanks you very much for the assistance photos and offer to send repair parts. I will keep you posted on my progress.

RTED

OP
OP
R

RTED

Chuck,

You were reading my mind! I was planning to call you Monday morning to discuss any other options for accessing the fuel filter line connection at the top of the tank and to order the replacement. I will call in the AM.

thanks,

RTED

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave