HELP! Windows getting stuck on convert top!

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

Seems like everytime I close my windows with the doors open, I have a hard time closing the door. It will not close smoothly (leaves a gap where the window and the convertible top meets. I have to open it again and close it once more for it to close right. The window dosent seem to go down enough in order to do a proper close. Anyone else have this?? Can dodge fix the timing?

Also noticed when playing with the windows when key is turned half way, they just stop working after a while. I have to turn the key to staring position for the windows to go work again. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.
calvin

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I still have the window problem. It's not timing as much as dropping far enough to clear the top. I just push on the glass instead of the door. SOMEDAY I might let the dealer try to fix it.

Also yes on the second question, it's normal. The windows and doors have a short timer to keep power running to them with the key off, or halfway, like most cars today do.

OP
OP
S

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS! I will try pushing the window instead of the door. anyone know if there is a fix for it?

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to make sure you close the door all the way the first time you shut it, else u gotta roll the window down some, then close the door, then roll it back up........american engineering

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem, only with the passenger window.

Sometimes it doesn't lower when the door opens and catches on the top when trying to close.

I'm always very cautious of this. When I notice it, I'll lower the window before closing the door.

I'm afraid that someone is going to get into the passenger side and pull the door closed, breaking the window and getting injured.

How common is this problem?

Dirk

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The window rolls itself down a little bit when you open the door. The problem is that it doesn't roll down low enough. I have the same problem with my passenger side door. If the window is rolled all the way up, the door won't close correctly. One of these days, I'm going to take it to the dealer to see if he can fix it. It seems like a warranty issue to me.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is 100% a warranty issue. The problem is I DON'T TRUST how the local dealer wants to fix it. He wants to adjust the convertible top so it doesn't hit the glass! This is foolish because the height of the glass is self adjusting. The higher you raise the top, the higher the glass goes. They don't understand the concept, so why replace one small problem with a water leak or poor fit of the top? ALL DC HAS TO DO IS: reflash the BCM to drop the windows an extra 1/4". At least that's what my passenger door needs.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems this annoyance isn't a rare occurrence but the fix sure remains allusive. The dealer can order a new pcm controller but since the relevant parameters will be the same as the unit it's intended to replace, the problem will not go away. An additional 1/8" on the opening would certainly solve this problem but unfortunately the programming of that 1/8" hasn't happened. The top can be adjusted but why do that only to create the potential for other issues. So what to do...

TriGuy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem only on the driver's side!! I've had it into the dealer 3 times already. At least they don't tell me to raise the top. :rolleyes: The passenger's side window works like it is supposed to.

In my case, the problem isn't the 1/8" clearance, it's the fact that the window doesn't always roll down when you open the door. Then, as mentioned in other posts here, the window wants to catch on the top.

The mechanic told me that you can "reset" the window just by rolling the window all the way down and then, after the door is shut, roll the window all the way up so that it is completely closed. That does reset things, but it doesn't fix the fact that most of the time the window doesn't roll down. :(

They've ordered a new motor for the window (said the controller for the window was not separate from the motor), so I guess I'll see if that solves the problem.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem is the window goes up when the door isnt closed all the way, so it wont go back down to clear the top when you close the door again. i dont think anything can change that

OP
OP
S

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to make sure you close the door all the way the first time you shut it, else u gotta roll the window down some, then close the door, then roll it back up........american engineering

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS GUYS!

Yes, The only time I experienced this is when I don't close the door all the way the first time. But only sometimes because somestimes it does closes after a second try... I guess It depends on how hard you closed the door without completely shutting it.

But recently I closed the window all the way up when the door was OPENED and it wouldn't shut. That's why i started this post... Does anyone know of a fix for this problem??

OP
OP
S

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS GUYS!

Yes, The only time I experienced this is when I don't close the door all the way the first time. But only sometimes because somestimes it does close after a second try... I guess It depends on how hard you closed the door without completely shutting it.

But recently I closed the window all the way up when the door was OPENED and it wouldn't shut. That's why i started this post... Does anyone know of a fix for this problem??

TriGuy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mechanic told me that this will cause problems (rolling the window all the way up with the door open). It screws up the programming. If you do that, roll the window all the way down with the door closed and then, with the door still shut, roll the window all the way up. That will reprogram the settings. (At least that's what I was told.)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The mechanic told me that this will cause problems (rolling the window all the way up with the door open). It screws up the programming. If you do that, roll the window all the way down with the door closed and then, with the door still shut, roll the window all the way up. That will reprogram the settings. (At least that's what I was told.)

If I roll mine up with the door open it will go all the way to the top and then back itself down automatically about 1/4". I guess it senses that it's open and you'll be shutting it soon. Perhaps the 2005 windows became a bit more proactive.

TriGuy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I roll mine up with the door open it will go all the way to the top and then back itself down automatically about 1/4". I guess it senses that it's open and you'll be shutting it soon. Perhaps the 2005 windows became a bit more proactive.

I wish my 2004 did that! Maybe when they install the new motor it will! :laugh:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I wish my 2004 did that! Maybe when they install the new motor it will! :laugh:

Your 2004 SHOULD do that. when the door is open, the window should go ALL the way open, then lower itself slightly after a second.