Help with Clutch!

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had not driven my Viper for about two weeks- started her up and noticed that it was hard going into gear and the clutch pickup was almost imediate- right from the floor.

Driving her did not loosen anything up- shifting was hard- a little revs between shifting helped but somthing is wrong. Got about 7K on car- same thing happened at 900 easy miles- dealer replaced clutch/flywheel under warranty- told me parts were not worn but bolts had sheared in clutch assembly.

could it be an adjustement?

sure the superchager is not helping.

thanks

Rich

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperD's advice is the first thing I would look at. Sometimes when you live is a high humididy area the clutch and brakes rust over slightly when the car has been sitting a while. There is no adjustment for the hydraulic clutch. Also clutch master cylinders and slave cylinders have seals which loose their sealing properties after long periods of sitting but I do not believe this is your problem as you said it had only been 2 weeks. I would be concerned about the new clutch you had replaced under warranty as I feel you need a much more heavy duty clutch setup with your supercharger. I hope this helps.
Robbie

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
BLKSNAKE,

Many posts on clutches and clutch issues. Check the archives. Very likely that the bolts attaching the pressure plate to the flywheel were not properly torqued and loc-tited. I had this happen to me twice. UGH!!!

On the subject of clutches, the stock Luk clutch, properly installed is quite robust and will hold the power of a Paxton equipped car if you drive it with some common sense and don't slip the clutch a bunch at rpm.

The Centerforce unit is a modded Luk pressure plate with their own "dual friction" disk. It holds a bit better. I am currently running a McCleod twin disk and it holds the power very well. Engagement isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, very streetable.

Good luck,

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of clutches, the stock Luk clutch, properly installed is quite robust and will hold the power of a Paxton equipped car if you drive it with some common sense and don't slip the clutch a bunch at rpm.

Common sense is the key word here!

Robbie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave