Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'New Owner Questions' started by Kisslust, Feb 26, 2016.
guys need help..
guys need help.. I have a 95 Dodge Viper. Today I started it up and immediately the check engine light came on. I thought to let it warm up to see if would clear up. It started smoking on driver side near where the cat is. Smelled like burnt plastic. Below is a recording of the check engine light sequence. I think the codes are 12 and 27 followed by end code 55. 27k on car. I took a video and can email to anyone that has experience or click on link to my Facebook post. Hope someone can confirm what I think the codes are. Newly a viper owner
Find the Viper groups on Facebook and post the question. You'll get more answers. I'm a gen II guy but the codes are
12.Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
27.Injector control circuit failure
55.End of error messages
Some questions? Before you purchased the car, did you get a service record etc.? Did the previous owner let you in on any quirks of the car? Had he or she had any major engine work done prior to purchasing?
It sounds like you may have been dumping raw fuel into the drivers side exhaust. This caused the catalytic converter to either fail or overheat.
Reasons for this below:
Overheated Catalytic Converter
An overheated catalytic converter is often the result of excess hydrocarbon (HC) in the exhaust stream. This condition is caused by unburned fuel entering the catalytic converter and then burning. Notice that each of these conditions have one thing in common. They result in unburned fuel entering the exhaust stream. This is because the most likely cause for a clogged or damaged catalytic converter is excess unburned fuel (HC) in the
Fuel Injectors: Leaking or dripping fuel injectors result in unburned fuel entering and burning inside of the catalytic converter. This excessive fuel in the converter results in overheating and melting of the substrate. A clogged fuel injector will result in lean burn. Lean burn occurs when there's too much air in the combustion chamber. This results in a misfire and excess hydrocarbon (fuel) entering and burning inside of the catalytic converter.
Misfire: Anything that causes a misfire or excess hydrocarbon (HC) in the exhaust will result in catalytic converter overheating. Check the distributor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs in distributor ignition systems. Check the coils, spark plugs, associated wiring, and the PCM in today's EI distributor-less and COP ignition systems.
Oxygen Sensors: An oxygen sensor collects information regarding oxygen content in the exhaust stream and sends a voltage signal to the PCM. This is used to adjust the air fuel ratio. It could be a faulty sensor. If an oxygen sensor is faulty and sending a signal informing the PCM to enrich the fuel ratio, a rich fuel mixture will result.
My buddy had the same problem with his 00 gts. Misfire and check engine light. Had to replace an injector and cat. he though he could "blow it out" ended up burning his rocker . has a good size burn spot there now. car ended up getting towed to a local dodge dealer. the only guy that works on my car and his fixed it.
Help is on the way, hang in there.
i had similar issue after tune up... tech had swapped spark plug wires..