HENNESSEY TURBO PERFORMANCE

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know hennessey has had lots of problems but i was e-mailed a dyno sheet from John for his turbo kit. Rear wheel horsepower is over 1000, like him or not his products work and work well. I have purchased from him and the quality of his products are first class. From the dyno sheet i saw John makes the most power so far with the VIPERS. I am not suggesting anyone buy or not buy from John ONLY STATING A FACT SO PLEASE NO FLAME.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by ronviper:

"I am not suggesting that anyone buy or not buy from John ONLY STATING A FACT SO PLEASE NO FLAME."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post. What appeals to me is the fact that there's no need to fill a bottle every 5 minutes. No need to worry about having enough pressure before a race. No need to worry about your bottle running out. No need to worry about forgetting to turn your bottle heater off. You have your hatch space back. I hate NOS! If NOS was all ther was it'd be different. I really wish Hennessey would've had the TT perfected before my car was built! If I don't find a buyer, a Supercharger or TT will be mandatory! I think having a Supercharger or TT is the absolute only way to go when doing serious mods! Tuners that don't offer one or the other will not do well in the future. All that power on tap whenever you want it? That concept is more important than a lot of people think. I also heard Hennessey just spit out another Venom 800 TT. A Silver one.

But put your flame suit on anyway. I'll go down swingin with ya.
smile.gif

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RONVIPER,HOW DO U KNOW THAT A DYNO SHEET E MAILED FROM SOMEONE IS OR IS NOT CORRECT?I CAN PRODUCE DYNO SHEETS THAT ARE OVER 1,000 H.P.DOES THIS MEAN THE DYNO SHEET MUST BE CORRECT OR COULD IT BE INCORRECT?LETS ALL STOP FOR A MOMENT AND PONDER THIS QUESTION.THE ONLY WAY I KNOW A DYNO SHEET TO BE TRUE AND ACCURATE IN MY MIND IS TO VERIFY THE DYNO WITH AN INDEPENDENT DYNO USING THE SAME MAKE,MODEL AND BRAND DYNO WITH VARIBLES BEING EQUAL AT THE TIME OF DYNO.PLZ DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY.JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT....REGARDS! NORM KOERNER
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake eye you lose, the reason i believe the dyno sheet is very simple, i had a twin turbo v6 stage two buick with 274 cubic inch make 1100hp. With the cubes the viper has and four more cylinders , larger heads, intercooled, fuel management system, there is no doubt it can make that power easily. Ken Duttweiler is a wizard when it comes to turbo cars and has made pro 5.0 Mustang motors achieve over 2000hp. So why can't a viper motor do the same or better with the proper internals and bolt on's?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one of the big problems Hennessey has with the TT is blowing oil seals. We don't hear much from him now except through Trey since he volunteered not to post anymore. Therefore, nobody is really sure if he ever got that small, yet significant issue resolved.

I do know of a TT Viper that has been running around here since March or April. I've driven it and ridden many miles with the owner. It made 560 hp on a conservative dyno recently - without an intercooler - on a stock bottom end. It's real, it works, and it's for sale to the general public NOW.

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000490.html

dbvettez06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronviper:
I know hennessey has had lots of problems but i was e-mailed a dyno sheet from John for his turbo kit. Rear wheel horsepower is over 1000, like him or not his products work and work well. I have purchased from him and the quality of his products are first class. From the dyno sheet i saw John makes the most power so far with the VIPERS. I am not suggesting anyone buy or not buy from John ONLY STATING A FACT SO PLEASE NO FLAME.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And still they come.............

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are interested in forced induction, be on the look out for the unveiling of Ben Treynors car at VOI this year.. its sounds like its shaping up to be quite a monster!!

Trey,

good to see that you are still a member of the dark side and have yet to side with the italians... i know you've got the bucks and the balls to create a forcefed monster of your own.. you sound like you are teetering on the brink, so if my vote means anything, i vote that you go for it!!

- eddie -

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEVILDOG:
And still you come..............
troll.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, DeviledHam...

Maybe if someone wants an HMS car, you could pay for the car up front (less 20%) and then when the job is done the owner could pay you.

If you're so confident of the company, then you'd be making a good amount of money doing this, and if you ever got porked, it wouldn't be that big a deal - I mean a $30k "mistake" is nothing when you're raking in 300 G's a day, right?

Will you step up and offer this service? Or are you all talk?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Eddie N:

"Trey,

good to see that you are still a member of the dark side and have yet to side with the italians... i know you've got the bucks and the balls to create a forcefed monster of your own.. you sound like you are teetering on the brink, so if my vote means anything, i vote that you go for it!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dark Side.......too funny! You make it sound like I'm Darth Maul or somethin. Although if I was him I'd still be alive. Although he could still be alive using the force. Okay, okay......you got the point.
smile.gif

If I don't find a buyer who'll cough up the jack I want - I definitely plan on either Supercharger or TT. I've gotten TONS of offers but not what I want yet & I'm not budging! From the press Doug Levin get's on this Board, I'd feel really confident in sending him my Viper! I'd still call my boy Gerald first to make sure though.
yesnod.gif

Or if I decide to go the TT way then I could do that too. Just ***** to have to spend even more money to make the same power that I'm already making.........just in a different way. Know what I mean Eddie?
This was my 1st NOS experience & it sucked!! Supercharger's & TT's are like having NOS 24/7! They're the only way to go IMO.
BURNOUT.gif

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dbvettez06:
And still they come.............

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

troll.gif

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King GTS, given a choice between TURBO and SUPERCHARGER, Turbo is the only way to go. With Turbo's you control the boost level from inside the car with a controller, clockwise increase boost anti clockwise reduce boost. Supercharger the boost is the same all the time or you have to change pulleys or change the unit no control from inside the car. Pro 5.0 Mustaqngs with single Turbo running 6.47 @ 222mph. that is sick power.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronviper:
King GTS, given a choice between TURBO and SUPERCHARGER, Turbo is the only way to go. With Turbo's you control the boost level from inside the car with a controller, clockwise increase boost anti clockwise reduce boost. Supercharger the boost is the same all the time or you have to change pulleys or change the unit no control from inside the car. Pro 5.0 Mustaqngs with single Turbo running 6.47 @ 222mph. that is sick power.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea. TT will be my only option then. Thanks!
BURNOUT.gif

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The disadvantage of turbo over S/C, is the added heat
under the hood. Heat, and heat control, with a stock Viper
is already one of the major topics of this board; imagine compounding this problem with turbos. There is no question
that turbos are an efficient source of power, but there have
been a number of cases where turbos have proved disastrous,
because of the heat induced problems.

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP, remember Turbo's only produce extra heat under load which means normal driving is without boost so the motor real acts just like stock. Supercharger is crank belt driven which means its working all the time. Heat no doubt is a problem but it is with both system. Turbo is more efficent because it is using exhaust gas not robbing power from the motor like a supercharger which puts stress on the motor to turn the pulley all the time. There no doubt is pro and con's to both systems but Turbo system offers better control by the driver. Turn the boost down or up it's your choice not where you dyno it, or which pulley you put on as per supercharging.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Hey, DeviledHam...

Maybe if someone wants an HMS car, you could pay for the car up front (less 20%) and then when the job is done the owner could pay you.

If you're so confident of the company, then you'd be making a good amount of money doing this, and if you ever got porked, it wouldn't be that big a deal - I mean a $30k "mistake" is nothing when you're raking in 300 G's a day, right?

Will you step up and offer this service? Or are you all talk?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jester.gif

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP, remember Turbo's only produce extra heat under load which means normal driving is without boost so the motor real acts just like stock.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, your turbos aren't 100% spooled up-all the time, but excluding low RPM and cruising, they're a significant mass
of red hot, glowing metal - that not only magnify the amount
of heat under the hood, they also have to be feed a constant
supply of oil to prevent the turbo bearings from melting.
Its hard to find an oil cooler that can handle this extra amount of heat load. When more cars are turbo charged(other than a few prototypes), I think short engine life will become a factor.

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry HP, that is just not true, Turbo's will only glow under hard long duration of w.o.t. If they are glowing your timing or fuel management system is not correct. Oiling has never been a problem for the Turbo,s most people are running now, maybe in the past that was a problem. As for engine life all high performance machines have the same problems it,s driver education that will give longevity. If you turn up the boost without proper fuel it,s the driver not the engine that is at fault. I have had Turbo motors for over 15 years and made mistakes and paid for it but there is nothing like the pull of a turbo street car.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, you have your opinion, and I have mine. I have owned
turbo cars for the last 20yrs. I installed a turbo, back
before they were trendy, and I've seen their development.
Am I an expert? - NO! I'm not discounting their power and
efficiency, and I'm not saying they aren't suited as a power
addition to some cars. What I am saying is that - Vipers
heat management(motor and car), are marginal even with upgrades.
If you think a turbo don't glow red when its spinning, then
you've never watched one in the dark. Since you've owned turbos
then you know what the oil looks like after only a 1,000 miles.
Maybe someone can address these shortcomings, and make it
a viable power addition without the sacrifice of short engine
life and heat damage. But it's yet to be seen, since no real numbers are on the streets. For my money, I would take a wait
and see attitude. But this is my opinion, and all I wanted
to do in my post is show the other side.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RONVIPER,LET ME CLARIFY FOR U.I NEVER SAID THE VIPER ENGINE IS NOT CAPABLE OF PRODUCING 1,000 PLUS R.W.H.P. WITH A TWIN TURBO APPLICATION IN FACT IT IS.A MOTOR ONLY STROKER V 10 CAN PRODUCE 640 TO 670 R.W.H.P.ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE ONLY GOOD ENGINE BUILDING AND TUNING.THE SUBJECT MATTER WAS DYNO SHEETS THATS ALL.NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS......REGARDS! NORM KOERNER
supergrin.gif

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP,

I must interject at this point. I now have almost 4000 miles on my TT Viper with no intercooler (soon to be fixed) and have had NO heat issues with the completely stock original cooling system. I drive my car everyday in stop and go traffic in South Texas summer heat with the A/C running full time ( except when the car's at WOT
cool.gif
). I have autocrossed this car on a 100 degree summer afternoon! I too was so worried about the coolant problem I bought the Roe airdam/deflector kit but haven't bothered with it because I have yet to see any temps over 220 while flogging the beast. I figure I'll do something about it when it gets hot! By the way I also have had at least one if not several turbo cars in my garage for over 20 years. My first was a 1980 Porsche 924T, probably one of the most troubled production turbo cars of all time and yes heat was its undoing. This one car alone probably qualifies me as expert in turbo engine failure in that I experienced about as much failure as anyone should ever have to endure
laugh.gif
. Fortunately, a few turbos later I also got to drive a 944T over 125,000 miles before I rebuilt it's original turbo
smile.gif
. The successful action on this car was watercooled bearings (like Axis engineered for me now). Currently, Rob at Axis is now using incredibly more durable ceramic bearings, watercooling, high pressure oiling, auxiliary oilsumps, high tech heat wraps, shielding and other stuff that Rob threatens to kill me if I disclose. Let's just say, managing the air pressures and velocities on both sides of the turbos (intake side and exhaust side) can make a difference in heat build-up and dissipation as well as boost potentials and efficiencies.
yesnod.gif

Anyone wondering if turbos are a viable way to boost a Viper engine need wonder no more. The power adding affect when done properly is second to none. "All gain and no strain." Anyone want to take a stab at how many miles between rebuilds on turbo diesel truck motors? After all aren't the vette guys claiming we drive truck motors.
laugh.gif

Frankly I'm really surprised there aren't more of you guys calling Rob. What're you waiting for....to see how much fun a fellow Viperholic can stand?
wink.gif

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John excellent post, to each his own but i love Turbo cars. I live in Toronto Canada and the weather here in Fall and Spring makes Turbo cars crazy. When i am depressed or ********** i jump in my 4.1 single turbo buick GN. and the pull always puts a smile on my face. I love my viper but the turbo buick is just bad-*** at 25lbs of boost with C16 gas in it. I would love to turbo my viper but cost is the problem and wife also does not want me to wreck car like i did with the buick. Her opinion of wreck is making too much power that it is not streetable.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For strict dragstrip use, I think turbo + auto tranny is the ultimate combination -- high midrange torque, no parasitic drag, and adjustable boost to match the need. However, street driving is a different matter altogether, and anyone who has driven a high-HP street car will tell you it's all about traction management. With 750+ RWHP, you can spin the Viper's rear meats up through the top of 2nd -- or 3rd -- gear, which means at street speeds you are constantly modulating the throttle when accelerating. S/C cars are superior for that venue because throttle modulation is far easier, and the throttle response is linear and predictable just like a N/A car.

As a recent example, look at the most recent supercar shootout in Car & Driver. The HMS TT car was actually *slower* than the APEX car 0-60 because it's so difficult to launch a big-HP turbo car on street tires. Once up to speed, of course the HMS car just ran away, but the test illustrates the value of a predictable, easily-modulated powerband in a traction-limited situation. The LPE TT cars have similarly been critized in past C&D and R&T tests; the testers end up putting race tires on them to make them hook, at which point they're ungodly fast.

So net-net: for "medium" HP street applications (&lt;600 RWHP) both turbos and S/C are a good choice. For high HP street applications I believe the S/C route results in a much more driveable package. For the dragstrip, turbo + automatic is unbeatable.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like add that the boost is adjustable in a S/C car. It's adjusted by using the throttle. I can accelerate using 1lb of boost by staying into the throttle at a certain "depth". Go a little more and I've got 2-3 lbs of boost. I can easily take the 1lb of boost up to 8 lbs of boost by applying more throttle while keeping the back wheels firmly planted while trying not to impale a Suzuki GSXR Motorcycle
supergrin.gif

Gerald

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TREYNOR AND GERALD, Innovative Turbo has an electronic boost controller where you set boost levels for first gear right up to sixth . You programme how much boost you want to leave with and how much when in the power ban. Feathering the gas pedal is no way to control boost, you need to step on the pedal with boost preset and go.My freind Mike ST. EVE has a turbo buick stage two motor in his 1986 vette he runs 9.70 in street trim at 142+mph. He drives to the track and home with no problems.I believe you have much more control with a turbo car than a supercharged car but that is only my opinion. You can set the boost for pump gas or for kill with C16 the choice is yours.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you have much more control with a turbo car than a supercharged car but that is only my opinion. You can set the boost for pump gas or for kill with C16 the choice is yours.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Obviously we totally have different opinions about turbos versus superchargers
cool.gif
Well, there isn't any viper that's going to run on c16 on the street for a daily driver or for any extended period of time unless you swap the computer for a Motec.
Why c16 anyway? I know for sure the turbos are harder to tune than superchargers and turbos require more fuel so they don't detonate at full boost.... the fuel consumption is higher for sure. And there's nobody that can tell me that a turbo runs cooler than a supercharger because the exhaust gases from turbos are funneled through a turbine and excessive amounts of heat and back pressure are put into the engine and compartment. Superchargers are driven from the crankshaft and run cool, especially with a big bypass. Mine has one of those big Mondo race bypass thingies. I've never had black oil or oil contamination that a friend of mine
laugh.gif
gets all the time with his turbo car.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually for a given RWHP # a turbo car uses LESS fuel than an SC car as the SC car needs to make more power to compensate for the power lost to drive the SC.

Turbos are much easier on a car than SC's, I seriously doubt I could make anywhere near the HP my car makes if it had a huge interccoled SC as opposed to the turbos it has.

One thing is for sure, SC's are simpler and most of the time cheaper. At the end of the day I like HP anyway it can be made, SC'ed, TT'ed, NOS'ed, NA or any combination of them
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Originally posted by ronviper:
I believe you have much more control with a turbo car than a supercharged car but that is only my opinion. You can set the boost for pump gas or for kill with C16 the choice is yours.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Obviously we totally have different opinions about turbos versus superchargers
cool.gif
Well, there isn't any viper that's going to run on c16 on the street for a daily driver or for any extended period of time unless you swap the computer for a Motec.
Why c16 anyway? I know for sure the turbos are harder to tune than superchargers and turbos require more fuel so they don't detonate at full boost.... the fuel consumption is higher for sure. And there's nobody that can tell me that a turbo runs cooler than a supercharger because the exhaust gases from turbos are funneled through a turbine and excessive amounts of heat and back pressure are put into the engine and compartment. Superchargers are driven from the crankshaft and run cool, especially with a big bypass. Mine has one of those big Mondo race bypasses. I've never had black oil or oil contamination that a friend of mine
laugh.gif
gets all the time with his turbo car.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So much to say but I will keep it short, opinions are like *******. A centrifugal s/c is very easily adjustable for maximum boost and could be controlled from in the car if need be. All it takes is a bleed device.... an 1 1/2" gate valve in my case. (As documented on my car on HotRod TV) We used it to run the 11.00 index in the NMCA series that was owned by HotRod magazine. Very very precise control of et believe it or not. On the other hand that beautiful cool as **** sound of the s/c gets on my nerves after about 10 minutes of driving my Formula. No way I would live with the racket on my Viper unless it was a limited driver. The first thing I asked Sean Roe was how much noise? Turbos and s/c very $$$$ for Vipers right now. Cheap= NOS and I my prediction for VOI drag racing in the unlimited class is that the n02 guys will be kickin butt. Each to their own....all the above are great with the right tuning and install.