Here's a picture of me at the starting line !!!

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here\'s a picture of me at the starting line !!!

Here's a picture of me at the starting line at RockFalls raceway. This picture was taken a couple weeks ago, and I was racing a AAR 'Cuda.

My best time of the day was a 12.61 @ 117mph. I just recieved my slicks from the Tirerack on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to using them, but first I think I might want to get HD half Shafts. I don't think it would be safe to run it with slicks without beefing those shafts up, do you ?? BTW.. My car is stock.

You must be registered for see images

'96 GTS

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Here\'s a picture of me at the starting line !!!

As a matter of fact, I did !!

He was a very nice guy, and he said light heartedly, "Well, at least I know what the back end of a Viper looks like now".

I then complimented him on his really nice, all original AAR 'Cuda, it ran a low 14 second qtr mile time. Lots of Mopars showed up that day and some wanted to run against me for fun. One of'em was a 9 second 68 Charger..........That was awesome to see him launch in front of me to a 1.4sec 60 foot time while I sat and spun the ol' tires to a 2.2 / 60 ft time.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

117 mph trap speed is excellent. I would not even look at the elapsed time. The speed at the end tells all. What kind of shifting did you do (speed, power, off the throttle)? How did the car feel going down the track, did you lose traction in between gears?
Ecellent job!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Here's a picture of me at the starting line at RockFalls raceway. This picture was taken a couple weeks ago, and I was racing a AAR 'Cuda.

My best time of the day was a 12.61 @ 117mph. I just recieved my slicks from the Tirerack on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to using them, but first I think I might want to get HD half Shafts. I don't think it would be safe to run it with slicks without beefing those shafts up, do you ?? BTW.. My car is stock.

You must be registered for see images

'96 GTS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was shifting at about 5300 rpm, and letting off the gas mostly, but not all the way. The car felt really strong through all 4 gears pulling very hard each shift. I was losing traction slightly in second, and one time even into third gear, but on that run when I did lose it, I almost lost it 'cause the car started going sideways after third gear, and I was looking at a retaining wall..........Very scary !!

Do you think the slicks will make a significant improvement ??

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Slicks will definitely help. But you're doing the right thing to beef the rear suspension up. I have seen a half shaft on a corvette with slicks snap. It's not pretty.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Do you think the slicks will make a significant improvement ??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A stock car can absolutely break a half-shaft with slicks. The hardest stress on the driveline is during launch, and that's more a function of engine RPM and intertia (esp flywheel weight) than HP.

Buy the half-shafts; I've had good luck with UNITRAX.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even a stock car has the ability to break a stock half shaft while wearing slicks ?? Someone told me not to worry about it..... Any experiences in this from anyone here ??