Hey guys, newbie from NY

bobafett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, 1st let me say that I am a true car enthusiast, and have been my whole life. I am not brand loyal in any way. Like many of you here Im sure, I have owned a good share of muscle/sports cars. My current play cars consist of an 04 Mustang Cobra (Terminator), C6 Corvette Z06, and a Suzuki GSXR 1000 (crotch rocket:rolaugh:)

At this time Im strong considering purchasing a Viper. Not any Viper, this 1 (in link). Id like to know from you experienced Viper guys what you'd consider "a good deal" on this ride. Thank you all kindly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACR-...3462853?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2320c25845

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's an '09 ACR at naples motor sports with 700 miles for the same price. Just an FYI. Good luck on your Viper purchase journey!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until winter/spring in the off season and when the new car is out unless you just have to have it now. If money is not a big issue offer $87k now. That's a gorgeous car.

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1900 miles is a good thing but you need to see how it was used. The wheels aren't stock. I would do a GOOGLE search on Domani motors too. Plenty of good 08's available.

OP
OP
B

bobafett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Dont think its gonna happen. What they offered me for my Z06 was just about comical. Salesman, has sent me a few offers after I declined his offer asking me to counter. I said "whats the use", you're not even in the ball park.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Dont think its gonna happen. What they offered me for my Z06 was just about comical. Salesman, has sent me a few offers after I declined his offer asking me to counter. I said "whats the use", you're not even in the ball park.

That is fairly typical. They will lowball your trade in and advertise a high price for their Viper. You can't expect to get what you want for the trade compared to selling it yourself. Give it one more shot - counter the price you want for the Z06, but its going to be lower then selling it privately. If they are still not in the ballpark, then walk away. I walked away from a few places that just didn't seem to be reasonable.

There are plenty more 08 ACRs out there. I would go private seller to save cash. You will almost always pay more through a dealer, with no upside that I can see.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is fairly typical. They will lowball your trade in and advertise a high price for their Viper. You can't expect to get what you want for the trade compared to selling it yourself. Give it one more shot - counter the price you want for the Z06, but its going to be lower then selling it privately. If they are still not in the ballpark, then walk away. I walked away from a few places that just didn't seem to be reasonable.

There are plenty more 08 ACRs out there. I would go private seller to save cash. You will almost always pay more through a dealer, with no upside that I can see.

+1 for sure. You will just get yanked around by that dealer. There are just a few of the bigger Viper dealers that will work out a better deal with you in regard to your trade-in. Your best bet is to go private with the Z06. You will find your 08 ACR out there, it just takes some time. Good Luck.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. I would go private seller to save cash. You will almost always pay more through a dealer, with no upside that I can see.

Yes there is.
No broke dick time wasters dropping by the house to look at a car they have no intention of buying.
Sales tax offset on trade in versus new purchase.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No broke dick time wasters dropping by the house to look at a car they have no intention of buying.

Well, that's true. Dealers know what a huge pain it is for the majority of people to sell privately. They use this fact to lowball you, and hope your excitement at seeing the Viper (or any car) in person will sway you emotionally and go for it. That works better in person than over the internet.

I understand the tax thing (never did get how the same car can get taxed over and over as it exchanges hands...), but the tax savings will not likely be near the savings of selling it yourself and buying privately.

But yes, it can be a HUGE pain in the butt. I saw a lot of people on eBay with 08+ models eventually give up. Who knows how many dumb offers they got. eBay though can get rid of a lot of lowballers though since people often send offers through the eBay system, rather than show up. The best way to sell a car on eBay is to advertise a slightly high price, but put Buy it Now or Best Offer. If you get someone with a semi-serious best offer, you try and complete the deal offline, sell the car 'privately' and avoid the large eBay fees.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers take cars on trade from people who are just looking for an easy no hassle way to get into a new car plus the dealers have ways to inflate the supposed trade-in value and get cars pretty cheap just on the convenience factor. Dealers also get cars pretty cheap at auctions as well. So you can get a good deal from a dealer plus it's easier to make the transaction or arrange financing then with a private seller high dollar transaction. Then of course some dealers offer warranties and if they operate out of a brick and mortar they can't disappear if there is an issue. Also consider that folks that own a car like a Viper almost always think the car is worth way more than it actually is. I actually prefer buying from a dealer. I was beat for $500 and a $200 inspection on the first Viper I tried to purchase from a private seller by a guy who was 450 miles away.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Jon and you have to factor in the dollar amount your spending. When there is a big number involved there is some comfort in dealing with a dealer when wiring money, sending certified checks or cash. There are so many scams now you must have your guard up.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok - I guess the moral of the story is... you can get a good deal or get screwed by dealers or private sellers. It probably has happened both ways to all of us. I should also say that when I say 'dealer', I mean one of those broker type places, not a Dodge dealer. If you can find a reasonable broker with a good reputation, then you can probably get a fair transaction. When I was searching for 6 months, I called a few brokers initially and in the end, never felt comfortable with any of them.

I called a few Dodge dealers and felt much more confident. Also - you can see the service history, get them to let you inspect the car, get it serviced before pick up, and go back post-purchase if their end up being issues. And yes, the finances are easier to handle and there is much more TRUST in that transaction. Also, a Dodge dealer can probably be a little more reasonable in that they have other sources of revenue (new cars). If I was buying a car that was far away, I would MUCH rather deal with a Dodge dealer since the car is practically sight unseen.

I bought my car privately and local, but it still took TWO months to complete, a million emails and phone calls, several bumps in the road - it was NOT easy.

Short story: Private sale and purchase will maximize your money, but maximize the pain. Be wary of shady brokers, but feel more confident with a Dodge dealer.

That is my opinion at least. I guess everyone is right in some ways. There is an element of luck as well, that everyone is telling the TRUTH.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to sell one of my Vipers privately and I tell you, it's not easy.
My price is more than fair, it's a well known (in my area) car in superb condition with very low mileage.
And it's in THE most desirable GTS color. I have an ad here, on autotrader and cars.com. Have also advertised locally.
I have it advertised for 42K now which is very fair. Received lots of "offers"
I get offers of 30K. I kid you not. Or 15K and a trade. Or dealers offering to take it off my hands for 28K.

I have not got one serious offer in the realm of consideration.
So much for Gen 2 values holding or going up.

OP
OP
B

bobafett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate all the good input (very good input). Salesman was adamant about me stating a deal that will work for me. So I did just that. I explained to the salesman (as you guys have stated), I understand theres a beating to be taken when making a trade with the dealership, Im just not willing to take the beating that was offered to me. Im in no way new to the car game and I let him know that. The other thing is, I simply dont have the time to try and sell my Z outright. I average anywhere from 52-70 hours weekly and quite frankly dont have the patience for the tire kicking test driving dreamers.

As far as ebay, My crotch rocket just sold and has been paid in full. It only took 8 days and Im shocked. I thought for sure I was going to have it by the start of next season (motorcycle season that is). Buyer definetely seem shady though. Im not sure if true, but I heard these cycles were illegal in Suadi Arabia and some buy and ship them there illegally.

I also have my eyes on a ZR1. Im just not sure the ZR1 is different enough for the upgrade although I do see it as a very impressive car. Well waiting on salesman. Ill keep you guys posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth