high oil pressure while driving?

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just noticed on my gauge that while in gear the pressure spikes to 90psi and drops back down to 50 when idling in neutral.

doesnt matter how much rpm as it goes to 90psi and stays even at 6k rpm but drops back down quickly in neutral

anyone else have that?

only engine mods are high flow cats and corsa exhaust

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good thing its nothing to worrie about. somtimes it feels like a line is about to burst when it jumps to 90

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the manual, it just says "Make sure you have oil pressure". No range is provided. Mine has always done that too. I think you're okay.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just noticed on my gauge that while in gear the pressure spikes to 90psi and drops back down to 50 when idling in neutral.

doesnt matter how much rpm as it goes to 90psi and stays even at 6k rpm but drops back down quickly in neutral

anyone else have that?

What year is your car? I remember reading the gauge calibrations on the 2003s were skewed to the high side, and thats something Dodge changed on the 04+ cars to keep it more in the middle of the gauge, even though the actual pressure was the same

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this old post by another member -

"This is also why in 2004 the oil pressure gage was changed to a 0-100psi... people were getting scared of seeing the needle at the high end of the scale. But it is very typical and not an issue...The oil temp gauge was also re-scaled in 2004 to start at 140F instead of 180F to demonstrate better that the guage is working."

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your car? I remember reading the gauge calibrations on the 2003s were skewed to the high side, and thats something Dodge changed on the 04+ cars to keep it more in the middle of the gauge, even though the actual pressure was the same

Yep, my 03 always seems high. I was actually going to post about it, but now I don't. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found this old post by another member -

"This is also why in 2004 the oil pressure gauge was changed to a 0-100psi... people were getting scared of seeing the needle at the high end of the scale. But it is very typical and not an issue...The oil temp gauge was also re-scaled in 2004 to start at 140F instead of 180F to demonstrate better that the gauge is working."

but mine is a 04.thought something was clogging the oil sending like a clog in your arteries. ok to walk but dont run :)