Hood Pad Paint Recomendations

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To anybody with some paint knowledge. I am painting the sneaky pete on the hood pad and I will be using High heat enamel for the background paint.To match my Sapphire blue I will have to go with a specially mixed Lacquer.
Is this going to be a problem over enamel?
Will it be a problem with the heat from engine compartment?
Will I gain anything by applying a clear coat?
Thanks

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having painted 3 hood pads over the years, I'll tell you what I have done and have had no difficulties what-so-ever. I first masked off the outer edge of the logo and then used at least 7 coats of clear enamel. Let each coat dry completely before the next coat. This will allow the color that you then use not to be absorbed into the hood pad material. Obviously the hood pad is off the car, and then I used a 1" foam brush that has a very clean and sharp edge to outline the area to be painted and filling in as I went along. 3 coats, and you will never have any problems with the paint as -far-as absorbing into the pad. My 05 Fang's is painted blue (same as the cars stripes, Comm. Edition), and I used the sign painters paint for striping. worked perfect and I have had numerous compliments on the nice job! Hope this helps!

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 coats clear enamel got it.
1" foam brush
Do you use enamel from the can?
Because of paint matching problems I will be using lacquer will this be a problem

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This link did not work for me- I'm painting a new hood pad for my '96- just bought from VPA.

Going in a TT car so heat is a bit more- any issue with flaking?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original thread is 4 years old...additional posts started today...the new poster (TexasTonka) that brought this thread up from the dead has a 2001 Sapphire Blue RT/10...not sure what goldcup had 4 years ago.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the heat from a TT, but here's a write-up that I did a while back with much input from Dave6666...

GEN II - Painting the Hoodpad

Awesome write up! I appreciate it. We will see if I can pull it off! MAy end up looking like something a 2nd grader brings home but I will give it a try!

Biggest concern is the paint flaking off onto the motor, but if this has not happened to you yet then I assume this mod is a solid one.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the procces of painting my hood pad now.
I am also putting the Viper text on the upper portion of the pad as Life Is Good described in his post.
My plan was to tape off the logo and spray a high temp primmer as a base, then gloss black as a background. The biggest problem was getting tape to stick to the pad. I found some industial duck tape that held but after I spayed the primmer the tape lifted off. So now Im planning on brushing on red and black caliper paint to detail the loco. I have the first coat of red on, but have to wait 5 days between coats. After Im done with the red, I'll start the black.

I'll post more pictures whem I'm finished.

IMG_01992.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem was getting tape to stick to the pad.

It is an issue...I tried numerous types of tape...painter's tape, masking tape, low tack masking tape, drafting tape...I didn't want it to be so tacky that it pulled any of the hoodpad material away. My 'Viper' template was made from 651 vinyl...it was tacky, but I also used painter's tape to help keep the edges down. As I recall, the edges did come up a little during the paint/dry/paint/dry/etc cycles, but I was able to trim the imperfections with an exacto knife.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I didn mine, the key for me was to paint a "base coat" onto the hood pad befroe I actually painted the snake. I applied several light coats.This base coat "glued" down the "fuzzies" on the pad and allowed the tape to stick quit well and prevented most of the bleed under. I happened to use a very dark grey that was pretty close to the color of the hood pad.

I also did not use high temp paint, just a good quality spray can and have had zero problems (3 years and counting)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62