Hood swap questions .. 03 to 08

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For budgeting purposes I have a couple questions on swapping in a new 08 hood.

I know JonB has them.

What would a "good" painter charge to paint the hood/blend the new hood?
Is there a market for selling my old hood? What would it be worth?

I'm debating on hood, vs sidewinder polished rims - love to do both, but $ could be an issue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would ask John B to be sure, but I was asking the same question in reference to the 08 hood and he can sell me one painted to my factory black color. I would give him a call. Is your car a factory color?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
With the number of people doing this conversion - I cant imagine your original hood is going to bring much in return. Might be worth more as a piece of Viper Art hanging on a rec room wall. There was an aftermarket Comp Coupe style hood that just went for $500. Other factor to keep in mind whether buying or selling is the huge cost/hassle for shipping. There is a red hood '04 hood on ebay right now that may give you some indication what the value is going to be:

eBay Motors: 2004 SRT10 DODGE VIPER HOOD(RED) (item 220175072448 end time Dec-01-07 10:19:56 PST)

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my area to paint the hood with stripes the quotes were 350-400 dollars. One painter wanted 1500 because he also wanted to paint the fenders and bumper. On the Viper blue the paint matches very good without blending. I would think without stripes one could get a good paint match from JonB. With my situation-To line up the stripes properly I needed it done by a local.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, that helps. I didn't think to check on prepainted to factory color, mine's factory black so that could be an option.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, let me know if you find a good painter in your area. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Do not allow anyone to blend/feather. Doing so can hurt your car's value as the body panels are painted prior to assembly. Unless the paint is oxidized and weathered (which should be extremely rare on a Viper especially a Gen. III), find the specific paint code and have them paint the hood with it off the car!

The shop suggesting this obviously has no prior experience with these cars. Find someone who does.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, that helps. I didn't think to check on prepainted to factory color, mine's factory black so that could be an option.
My hood is factory black and although it came from Jeff Lemke (JonB's are less expensive) the paint matched perfectly. Screw the hassle of getting it painted when you receive it, have it painted by the seller.

The new hoods have a DRAMATIC affect on the look of the car, and the engine bay runs cooler.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can ship your 2008 Hood order to AUTOFORM who has 14 years experience matching Viper paint. They will paint it perfectly for $400. But you end up with double-shipping $$ and double-risk of damage. Shipping a painted hood requiers an even BIGGER crate, for more cost....

BLACK is the easiest Viper color to match, and a GOOD local body shop could do it easily.

Since we have 90+ NEW SRT10 hoods in stock, we hope you will BUY ONE FOR YOUR KID's HEADBOARD !! Or WALL ART for your Bar, playroom or garage. $500 NEW.

A clever and crafty person could make a COOL "Viper Bed" with a hood and a rear bumper with electrified tail-lighted nightlights etc etc for under $1000............. SSSWEEEET Dreams........

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can ship your 2008 Hood order to AUTOFORM who has 14 years experience matching Viper paint. They will paint it perfectly for $400. But you end up with double-shipping $$ and double-risk of damage. Shipping a painted hood requiers an even BIGGER crate, for more cost....

BLACK is the easiest Viper color to match, and a GOOD local body shop could do it easily.

Since we have 90+ NEW SRT10 hoods in stock, we hope you will BUY ONE FOR YOUR KID's HEADBOARD !! Or WALL ART for your Bar, playroom or garage. $500 NEW.

A clever and crafty person could make a COOL "Viper Bed" with a hood and a rear bumper with electrified tail-lighted nightlights etc etc for under $1000............. SSSWEEEET Dreams........
JonB is right, my hood had many scratches from the shipping. Chuck Tator spent quite a bit of time getting all the dings out of my new hood. All the problems were from the shipping dingbats, not from Jeff Lemke. Jeff's hood is a little bit different than JonB's, JonB has the factory 08. Both are great hoods, Jeff's hood is super light in weight. The new hoods simply look killer!
You cannot go wrong with either guy!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon am I reading this correct $500 for an 08 hood?

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon am I reading this correct $500 for an 08 hood?
I am pretty sure he is talking about the 2003-2006 stock hood for that price. I hope that you are correct and that is the price of the 2008 hood, but I doubt it.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 hood was painted here in Cali for $500. I got it from JonB for $1395 + ship.

The blue paint matched up really well... Even if it had been off I doubt it could be seen. The angles are nice and steep to the fenders. I think the only place you would be able to see it would be on the front bumper to the beginning of the hood...

I forgot the letter designation my painter used. I think it calls for PBR, which has X# of colors to make Viper Blue. My guy used the next level of paint which takes more colors to make Viper Blue. He also said it is a better paint :dunno:.... I have no idea about that, but it sure does look good

Pookie1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello JonB i need a hood i'm in michigan and i have a 2005 viper and i need that newer look!