Hood vent....error

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know any tricks?

The last time I polished/waxed the Viper, I accidently got wax or polish inside about 4 of the hundreds of honeycomb hood vent holes. I've since tried a Q-tip and a rag trying to remove it, but it seems pretty stubborn? I guess my next step is to remove the vents from the car and either soak it or be able to get more aggressive.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a mistake that you'll only make once, right? When I polished my paint, I removed the speaker grilles (that's what I'm assuming you are referring to) from the hood. I cleaned them with a tooth brush and hot soapy water, wiped them down with rubbing alcohol and then spray painted them. I don't think there is any way to totally remove the wax once it's on there and the paint made them look brand new.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mother's "Back to Black" and Q-tip.

That's just going to attempt to cover the wax up and it won't do a good job at it.

The best stuff for cleaning wax and polish is attention to it right away. If you allow it to sit on the cracks and crevices of the car for any period of time, you make it harder and harder to remove. Removing it sometimes takes trial and error and every case has been different for me. Sometimes you can use more wax to rejuvenate old wax. Just water it down with a few drops of something like Goo-Gone and break out your elbow grease. For grill holes, I would remove them and clean them after soaking. That's just too tedious and time consuming.