How do I avoid swirl marks in the paint?

Lanceromance

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im going to have to wash my Viper for the 1st time. I really want to avoid swirl marks in the paint (SSG color). Any advice would help

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my cars I use a micro fiber wash mit a water blade and a leather shammy to dry it. For waxing I use micro fiber. I think the micro fiber is the key for no swirl marks because I have none on any of my cars.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im going to have to wash my Viper for the 1st time. I really want to avoid swirl marks in the paint (SSG color). Any advice would help

Are you sure you have to wash it. I havent washed my cars in over a year. I use a calif duster and spray wax. I use a small duster on the rims. I keep that one in a zip lock bag. I keep them covered and have not been caught in rain. The viper is black and the paint has no swirls at all.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my cars I use a micro fiber wash mit a water blade and a leather shammy to dry it. For waxing I use micro fiber. I think the micro fiber is the key for no swirl marks because I have none on any of my cars.

Micro fiber is great but the water blades will leave scratches in clear coat...been there done that. One speck of dirt and you'll see it after it dries. The blade has no way to lift the dirt off the surface like the towel. Micro fibers are the best new thing out there for car care.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best ways to avoid scratch/swirl marks during washing:

1) Use two buckets 1 for clean water & 1 for cleaning out wash mitt to remove debris. Wash 1 panel of the car at a time, clean mitt in cleaning bucket and rinse, use clean soapy water from the clean water bucket and wash next panel
2) wash in back and forth motions. Do not wash in circles. I go back and forth from front of the car to the back of the car on all panels.
3) Use a microfiber mitt or equivilant
4) Do not use blades or Chamois cloths. Use Microfiber towels for drying.
5) Keep car clayed and waxed on a regualar basis.

Now, I am not some ultra detailed car washer but I have learned with black cars you must do this as they show these swirls the easiest. It is amazing when I did these simple steps how much better this helped my paint.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can buy cleaning waxing products from Turbowax.com He's a site sponsor and a Vendor and listed in the vendor forums. Best I've tried and I bought all my cleaning wax, leather treatment, microfiber, spraywax, etc. from him last year. I use my Mother's California Gold ($120 for the 3 parts of wax) for my Bathtub because it's not Pearle Blue and no irridesence for my tub is OK. For my GTS I use Turbowax.

Turbo Wax

They've just started a Forum and have cleaning waxing as well as all detailing instructions. Ask the pros.

Ted

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a mitt with a long nap or large open celled sponges. Wash verticle panels from top to bottom in straight down motions one section at a time, you are doing this because there is always a slight chance you are micromarring your finish while washing. Washing straight down prevents elonged micromarring along the entire length of your vehicle; instead you would be creating difficult to spot microscopic scratches which the sun only picks up at one particular angle as opposed to retrack along the whole body.

If you are going to use something with little to no nap to dry such as an absorber or a chamois lie the drying device down and spread it out with a little pressure and allow it to absorb, lift wring out and repeat. There is never a need to drag any towel along a finish when drying if you just give a few easy to follow methods a try. Improper drying is the main culprit when it comes to inducing swirl marks.

If you wash conventionally try flooding your paint after rinsing with a steady stream without splashing and pull the water from top to bottom by "flooding" your paint.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good info bri

and 1st post too :2tu:

you might enjoy some of the op other threads, do a search and post up your impressions as Lanceromance is well know on many forums :eater:

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also what many of you who keep suggesting clay the wax need to realize that any clay slightly more aggressive than Zaino's clay WILL and DOES induce at least the slightest form of marring. You shouldn't need to clay but once a year maybe twice, and it should be followed up by machine polishing with a final polish at the very least. I've been a detailer for 6 years now, and one thing you will definitely learn is that the internet is full of people who want to help in every way possible, but there are also a lot of suggestions that aren't 100% ideal, matter of fact many suggestions make me cringe.

I have never examined a car where I was unable to pinpoint wrongdoing in one way shape or form, even with the "pickiest" of clients who "use" to take care of their own exotic. One thing they all have in common, they all discontinue "maintaining" their vehicles surfaces on their own, at least in the same fashion.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that most of you I take it are Viper owners, aside from ceramiclears found on Ferrari's and MB is probably some of the hardest paint on the market, so inducing marring isn't the best idea unless you are planning on hiring a genuine article professional to polish it out once a year. Viper paint is rock hard, and requires a knowledgeable detailer to properly level out.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more good info, thanks

Brian_Brice - can you post some before and after pics,

i am always amazed at what people who know can do to auto paint :eater:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use a mr. clean ionnized water sprayer for your final rinse and blow dry with a leaf air blower. Touch up with a GOOD american made 100% cotton towel with the sewn edges trimmed off.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian is working on my car and I'm absolutely amazed at what he's been able to do just by polishing it! I'll post pics and vids when he's done...it's awesome!!!

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As promised, here are some photos taken while Brian was working on my car. This is only after buffing the car...no wax or polish at this point. You can see the swirl makes on the door to the right compared the buffed surface on the left.

DSC00997.JPG

In this one you can see how clear the reflection of the light is!

DSC00995.JPG

It's truly amazing in person and I'll post more/better pics when he's done later this week.

Last edited:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when you wash your car use front to back strokes not circles. use a quik spray detailer after wash.

using a calif duster followed by a quik detailer spray is scratching your car and then covering it up with a band-aid.

I would wash and wax it real good, bet a good wax foundation down before you start using a duster or alot of washing.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.Spray heavy dirt off.:)

2.Use a Wolfgang or other Foam Gun (with good soap) and let suds soak for 10 minutes in shade (cool area)

3.Rinse very well.
3b)Use 2 bucket wash system with grit guards.
3c)Rinse after washing with your mit.(remember to use 1 bucket only for soap/water, 2nd bucket for just rinsing your mit off in clean water only)

4.Clay entire car using high quality clay and detail spray while car is still wet.Keep very wet.

5.As you clay wipe off detailing spray with several HQ Microfiber cloths (with no tags or edges-example Cobra towels).

6.DRY car with leaf blower (do not ever use a water blade as ANY MINISCULE dirt/sand/contaminite will SCRATCH THE HECK out of your clean paint!

7.Use a DA polisher and Lake Country or Meg's pads to get out 95% of the swirls and scratches. Use Ultimate Compound or Meg's 105 and 205 combo.Scratch X is good too, by hand or DA.

8.Wipe residue/dry off car as you go.

9.wash car AGAIN.

10.Ready for wax (NXT 2.0 for example)-apply by hand or DA. (OR Collinite 915 wax).Wax does not need to completely dry before wiping it off with a new/clean MF towel.

11.SEAL IT WITH H.Q. PRODUCT SUCH AS POORBOYS EX.:drive:

p.s.- every time you touch your cars paint, the paint scratches. Less touching=less sratches. Detailing with any detailing spray daily? stop it!

NEVER USE A CALI DUSTER! OR WATER BLADE!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To completely avoid introducing scratches into your paint, you need to understand what causes the scratches in the first place. The majority of scratches and swirls are introduced during the wash process. I always utilize a 2-bucket wash method, coupled with two wash mitts and a foam gun.

Basically, I rinse the car completely down to knock off the big dirt. Then, I foam the car down with a foam gun. This is a very important step as the foam gun lubricates and raises the dirt up off the paint that is matted to the paint. If you wipe across a car with dirt matted to the finish, that dirt is in then ground into the finish creating swirls. Here's a shot of me using the foam gun in my garage.

Foam Gun of Full Foam

After I have foamed the car down, I then begin my 2-bucket wash technique. I bring soap from one bucket, go across an area, and them take the mitt to a second rinse bucket. By never contaminated my wash bucket with dirt that I am removing from the car, I do not introduce dirt from one section of the car to another section of the car. I am basically removing the dirt and putting it in a different bucket. This means that my wash water is always clean.

Another thing that I do is use one wash mitt for the top half of the car, and a second wash mitt for the bottom half of the car. These mitts never touch the wheels, undercarriage or anything else other than paint. This keeps them pristine.

I explain my entire technique and then some in a detailing video series that I've posted on You Tube. Detailing is a passion of mine and fixing messed up paint is something I love to do. Here's an example of some of the goodies I have had to deal with. This is a Brilliant Black Dodge Charger that someone keyed from the front quarter to the rear quarter and then tried to fix with touch up paint. To make matters worse, they smeared the touch up paint into the scratch which really made it look like crap. Then they parked the car outside in a wind storm while the paint was still wet. Needless to say, this car was a hot mess!

The Specimen...

You must be registered for see images

Using a polisher like the one you see me using in these pictures is so safe that I can teach a kid how to use one.

... and now for the finished product!

She's back to her original beauty.

Correcting your paint is relatively easy if you have the correct products and tools. The secret to perfect paint however, is to not damage it in the first place. The 2-bucket wash method is the key to NOT having to fix your paint in the first place. ;)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman is a legend on youtube.Corvette guy though!:omg::rolaugh::confused:

:rolaugh:

I was hoping that you guys wouldn't hold that against me! I do enjoy the time I get to spend at Atlanta Motor Speedway with the Vettes and Vipers every year. :2tu: