How do I avoid swirl marks in the paint?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool thread

I just went back through this thread and it does have a lot of good information in it. The videos alone are really going to help a lot of people who just lurk and don't post questions. Lots of good questions were asked in this thread too. Kudos to you guys for seeking the knowledge. :2tu:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great thread:2tu: I will be ordering the Junkmans total paint correction kit and the dual wash bucket kit off the adamspolishes web site.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of this minute, that kit has everything including the buckets. That was supposed to change awhile back but it hasn't yet...

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be terrified of working on my black cars, it didn't matter if it was washing drying or waxing, it always seemed like I was doing it wrong and ended up making it worse. Then I met the Junkman, now I have a better understanding of how to do what is needed to protect the paint....and better yet, even if I screw it up, I know how to fix it. Buying the right products is expensive, but so is having a garage full of all the wrong products. I threw away most of the crap I was using especially the fleet of Zaino and replaced them with Adam's products and a Porter Cable (had it for years but was afraid to use it) No matter what products you use, watch the Junkmans videos they are a big help.:2tu:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... Buying the right products is expensive, but so is having a garage full of all the wrong products.

Whoa! Mouthful alert! You said something that I learned over many years the hard way. I could buy 1 or 2 Vipers with what I've spent on detailing garbage since the 80's. I wish we had You Tube back then!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the biggest items that has helped us with our paint is improving water quality. The water is so poor at our shop it is not potable! We have to have a water cooler for human consumption. Thank you Buckingham Township, PA!

We put multiple filters in-line to help the problem, but the water is so poor, it clogs them quickly. We just purchased a CR Spotless and it has made a huge improvement in paint quality. If you listen to Adam's Video Vol 6, he talks about how his Car Shampoo is Ph 7, so it's perfectly neutral. In the same breath, he says water quality is equally as important. Make sure you're water is not damaging your paint.

We picked the CR Spotless DIC 20 up at CostCo. It is the cheapest we could find it.

You must be registered for see images

High Quality H2O!
You must be registered for see images attach

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great thread.

When you dry the car and use Zaino's blonde borderless towels, do you use one towel, rinse and wring. The towels are so small, 16" X 16" it seems it would take a lot of towel to dry the car if you used only till soaked.

Help Junkman!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered microfiber drying towels from turbowax and he sent me large, thick towels that work excellent for drying.

Ted

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We should all chip in and get this guy to VOI.

The detailers in Detroit were horrbile at best.

I paid them 50 bucks to wash my car two times both times they did crap work where I had to sit at 4am doing it myself so I would have a nice clean car. The rain we had at VOI-X did not help any.

I sure could use a good detail before I go to SLC.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread.

When you dry the car and use Zaino's blonde borderless towels, do you use one towel, rinse and wring. The towels are so small, 16" X 16" it seems it would take a lot of towel to dry the car if you used only till soaked.

Help Junkman!

Here's the deal. The Borderless Blond towel is NOT the type of towel that I would use to dry a car. That is one EXCELLENT towel, and the only thing that I use it for is to remove polish and wax. Do not dry your car with that towel. It is a waste of an excellent product.

The towel that I would use to dry the car is called a waffle weave towel. These things soak up some water like nobody's business. They are easy to wring out and work great when wet. Your blond towel does not and is also why I wouldn't use one to dry a car.

Personally, I utilize the pooling rinse technique and an electric leaf blower to dry my car. By the time I have to touch the car with a towel (if I do), it is practically dry. The reasoning behind my madness is the less you touch the paint, the less opportunity there is to scratch the paint. Thus the reason I dry my car the way I do.

The pooling rinse technique:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmb9DWdnFc[/media]

The junkman is a detailing ROCKSTAR!

lol! You forgot the part about how slow I work and how I've gotten pretty lazy in my old age!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I applied these principles to my guitar last night. I need a little bit more of an abrassive product but it looks a lot better.

Bruce

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll eventually jump the fence I think!!!

Until I found this forum, I really hadn't seen a Viper and knew what it was. For some reason, I thought all Vipers looked like this:

I wasn't really crazy about that body style. I was blown away at Carlisle when I saw Swexlin's (Scott) ride. I really like that body style! That made me start looking at them! :2tu:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread and I totally agree with the leaf blower drying method. There are so many areas water can settle into on these cars.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Later today I am going to buy a pc 7424xp and all the adams products that the junkman uses to remove light swirl marks.

I have been watching all of your videos on youtube for the last 2 weeks and I am really hoping my paint comes out the way yours have.

I wish that I could have met you in person at the detail clinic you did by my house earlier this summer, hope you come back to Grabiak Chevrolet sometime in the near future.

Just wanted to thank you junkman for all of your videos and info on this post and on youtube.:2tu:

Jeff

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Later today I am going to buy a pc 7424xp and all the adams products that the junkman uses to remove light swirl marks.

I have been watching all of your videos on youtube for the last 2 weeks and I am really hoping my paint comes out the way yours have.

I wish that I could have met you in person at the detail clinic you did by my house earlier this summer, hope you come back to Grabiak Chevrolet sometime in the near future.

Just wanted to thank you junkman for all of your videos and info on this post and on youtube.:2tu:

Jeff

Hey Jeff, thanks for the kudos! One thing that you definitely want to do is go back through this thread and watch the videos posted by KCOBean. Watch what he does and read how I critiqued his video. Notice what I correct and then check out his second video which shows how he improved his technique and achieved a much better result. His mistakes are very common among novices to detailing and I have to applaud his willingness to participate in this thread. Because of him, a lot of other Viper owners benefited. :2tu:

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman...I had a black 79 Vette and used a product called 3M Fill N Glaze. I applied with a soft cotton diaper it either took out the swirl marks or filled them that I could not see. Any experience with this product? And what do you think?

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, thanks for the kudos! One thing that you definitely want to do is go back through this thread and watch the videos posted by KCOBean. Watch what he does and read how I critiqued his video. Notice what I correct and then check out his second video which shows how he improved his technique and achieved a much better result. His mistakes are very common among novices to detailing and I have to applaud his willingness to participate in this thread. Because of him, a lot of other Viper owners benefited. :2tu:

No problem AJ,:2tu: I did watch the videos and it was very helpful, I just hope my techique is good anough to fix my paint with the adams products because for the last month I have used so many junk products that have done nothing but waste my money:mad:

I will post some before and after pictures later this weekend when I get a chance to do this.

Thanks again AJ your are such a big help to have avaliable and its great to have you here on the vca.

Jeff

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman...I had a black 79 Vette and used a product called 3M Fill N Glaze. I applied with a soft cotton diaper it either took out the swirl marks or filled them that I could not see. Any experience with this product? And what do you think?

It's a filler, and that basically what it does. It fills in the scratches temporarily until you wash the car a few times. It is what a lot of "detailers" use to fool you into thinking that they have fixed your paint and when all the scratches come back, they blame you for not bringing the car back to them for every wash. To me, glaze is like putting on a bunch of cologne instead of taking a shower. Up under all that smell, you're still funky as hell. I wouldn't use it because my mentality is to fix it correctly and be done with it. It does work as advertised though as most of 3M's professional products do. I like their other stuff a lot.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman - I have taken your advice to move to the 2 bucket system. Seems like common sense anyway.

Also I have a some light swirl marks and plan to use some M205. Once that is done.....what wax or polish should be applied. I have some Meguiars NXT that I thought was appropriate.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not related to the thread, but just have to laugh sometimes when I see that Lanceromance created this thread and it is actually useful :)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was blown away at Carlisle when I saw Swexlin's (Scott) ride. I really like that body style! That made me start looking at them

Thanks for the compliment AJ! You worked some magic on it. See you again ina couple weeks at Thompson's. I'll the the other SRT there that day though - the Superbee SRT8! And YELLOW!:lmao:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman - I have taken your advice to move to the 2 bucket system. Seems like common sense anyway.

Also I have a some light swirl marks and plan to use some M205. Once that is done.....what wax or polish should be applied. I have some Meguiars NXT that I thought was appropriate.

Here's my personal opinion on mixing product lines.

Don't do it.

If you start with Zaino, use Zaino all the way through to the end. That's the same with Meguiar's, Adam's, DoDo Juice, Menzerna and so on. Now here's the logic behind my thinking, as those who have read my post know that I only operate on common sense.

The products that you use have been designed to work together. Using the Meguiar's professional line for example, M105 has a given amout of cut to it, and it will leave your paint looking somewhat dull to the trained eye. M205 has been engineered to compiment M105 and undo the damage that M105 does to your paint. They are perfectly engineered to be used in that order (M105 and then M205), in order to give your paint that perfect looking pop before you apply the wax. Thus, you don't want to use M105 and then Adam's Fine Machine Polish (FMP), although FMP and M205 do exactly the same thing. The fact is that FMP has been engineered to follow the Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover and thus, you should use it coupled with the product that it was engineered to follow.

The people who engineer these products have done all the testing that needs to be done and we shouldn't try to second guess their knowledge. The products can be bought in packages and the packages are setup by someone who knows to give you the best results. Thus, use their knowledge to your advantage and stay within a given product line.

Now I went into that whole spill to make this point. Since you have started with Meguiar's, you need to end with Meguiar's. The problem is, Meguiar's has two different product lines. M105/205 are from their professional line. If you look at those bottles, you will see the name "Mirror Glaze" on the bottles. That NXT product is from their consumer line and will not say Mirror Glaze on the label. The last thing that I would do is use their professional stuff mixed with their consumer stuff. To me, that's like doing a frame off restoration, putting the car back together and then have Earl Scheib paint the car for $99.95.

You know me. if I'm going to do it, then it's going to be done right.

Now to answer your question about which wax to use directly. The way I see it, you have 3 choices. Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, their Polymer Sealant or their Synthetic Sealant. Don't pay any mind to their cleaner wax, it has a different purpose. You can read about all three at this link. There is a number on the back of the M105 bottle that you can call and they will help you decide which is best for you depending on the look and the protection that you are striving for.

Sorry about the long winded response but I like to explain my way of thinking for those folks who like to know the "why" behind my way of thinking. :)

Thanks for the compliment AJ! You worked some magic on it. See you again ina couple weeks at Thompson's. I'll the the other SRT there that day though - the Superbee SRT8! And YELLOW!:lmao:

I'm looking forward to it! :2tu:

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman. Actually I appreciate the why behind all that. Not only does it make sense but it simplifies your choices to 3 instead of hundreds.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman. Actually I appreciate the why behind all that. Not only does it make sense but it simplifies your choices to 3 instead of hundreds.

You know me, I don't do rocket science because I am not a rocket scientist. If it does not logically make sense to me, then I'm not doing or buying it. If someone truly knows what they are talking about, they should be able to explain it to 10 year old. At least that's the way I think! :2tu: