How does tire height effect gearing?

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3:55s and CCW slicks and skinnys , I want the best drag tire for the rears that will fit, and compensate for my bad gear choice for drag racing. My car makes 701 RWHP. Which tire size do I need?
thanks

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in simple terms a shorter tire = a higher gear ratio ....

the original 17" tire diameter in the rear was 26.0" with 789 revolutions per mile ...

we only carry the BFG drag radial tire and they really do not offer a good size for the Viper .... the widest 17" tire they have is a 315 which will not help your situation at all .... I do not know all of the sizes available from the other DR tire companies out there .... is you could find a 335/30-17 that would give you a 25" diameter tire amking your 3.55's act like 3.73's

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke's theory is ok for a stock car, but, you have to much power. If your car (700hp)is driven to its full potential on the drag strip you probably have too much gear (with 26" tires and 3.55 gears)and might have to shift to 5th gear to finish the quarter. You should be tracking close to a 140 mph with that hp. A trip to the track will tell you very quickly. The other problem is that 28" tires don't always fit our cars, it takes some modification.