How have you sold a Viper?

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out where the best place is to try to sell my 01 RT. It has high miles for a Viper (116K), so I'm not looking for extravagant money (Around $20K). I've been considered Autotrader, Craigslist, Consignment with Car Max or similar, Ebay, Forums, etc. Anyone have personal experience with this?

If it helps here are the details.

Sapphire/Black Interior
116000 Miles
Both Hard and Soft Tops
Stryker Heads w/Jesel Rockers
708 Cam
Belanger Headers
3” Corsa Cat Back
Aluminum Flywheel
Eibach Springs
Hennessey Smooth Tubes
K&N Filters
Dan Cragin Tune
Roe Radiator Hoses

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forums, craigslist and eBay are good options.

I haven't had good luck with autotrader or cars.com.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ebay has been the best for me. Because it is an auction site, market dictates the price. Too cheap and everyone is bidding too much and everyone stops bidding. An auction is the best barometer of true market value. regardless of anyone opinion of Ebay, when ever anyone is shopping, they will always look there.

Stickfork

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree that this is a good place to post it. You already know we have at least some interest, plus you won't have to deal with the nonsense of craigslist.

02rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering the same thing, as I have a 2002 red rt10 19k miles completely stock/original and am thinking about selling it; but I would be llooking for high $30s.
Good info...

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a clever way to avoid the membership fee while still listing your Viper for sale here on the forum. I'm surprised the mods let this thread slip by.

Anyway, I had mine on consignment and I just was told today that it has been sold. They only had it for a few weeks but they have several dozen areas that they had it listed. I wanted to avoid the free Viper joy ride of people who show up, act like they want to buy it but have no interest in doing so and just want to drive a Viper. I may have gotten a bit more by selling it privately but I didn't want all the potential hassle. It was a '99 with 21,670 miles and in excellent condition. I put less than 200 miles on it last year and I figured it was time for it to go to a new home where it would bring joy to someone the way it first did to me 10 years ago.

I mainly came back on here to see if the new owner joined the forum.

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
The good part about slipping one by, it never happens again

02rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RoadiJeff- what did you get for it if you don't mind me asking.... trying to see if I got mine priced right. I'm in no rush to sell mine, but sometimes I wonder why I hang on to it... I've had one of those consignment places call me wanting to list it, I'm just not comfortable not having the car in my possesion...
I drove mine about 3-400 miles last year, so kind of in same boat like you.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RoadiJeff- what did you get for it if you don't mind me asking.... trying to see if I got mine priced right. I'm in no rush to sell mine, but sometimes I wonder why I hang on to it... I've had one of those consignment places call me wanting to list it, I'm just not comfortable not having the car in my possesion...
I drove mine about 3-400 miles last year, so kind of in same boat like you.

The reseller and I came to an agreement where I would get the first $28,000 and they would get whatever they could sell it for above that. I saw they had it listed for $34,995 and someone bought it and drove it home April 29th. I don't know what the buyer actually ended up paying. I stopped by and picked up the check for my portion two days ago. It was a smooth transaction and the reseller was a pleasure to deal with. Now if I buy another vehicle within the next 6 months (I think it's that long) I can subtract the first $28k off the price as far as taxes go at the DMV. Hmm...

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm Viperless for the first time in almost 20 years...Now I have to figure out what to do with all of the Viper stuff I have.

I thought about using the consignment places as well. I just couldn't talk myself into it. I started worrying about insurance, etc and the car being so far away because there isn't a good one close to me. Which consignment place did you use?

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJeff - we met a long time ago in St Louis. Don't feel bad, I donated plenty to the VCA over the last 20 or so years.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought about using the consignment places as well. I just couldn't talk myself into it. I started worrying about insurance, etc and the car being so far away because there isn't a good one close to me. Which consignment place did you use?

Me? I sold mine through Fast Lane Classic Cars in St. Charles, Mo. They have all kinds of nice things on their showroom floors but mine was the only Viper. They said it attracted lots of attention.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R