How is the shifter retained?

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I took delivery of my '02 I found that I could pull the gear selector out of the transmission. The car has 1900 miles on it so it is virtually worn only by storage. How is the shifter retained to the tranny? :confused:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The knob is threaded onto a shift shaft which is threaded into the arm on the shifter mechanism on the trans.

Does the entire shaft pull out or is it separated at the rubber isolator on the shift shaft?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The factory shifter "ball" is held in with a sandwich of two metal plates. Mine was about to go and was very sloppy. If you want to go stock, I am sure someone will have one laying around. I went with B/M and it was a major upgrade.

P.S. also check to make sure nylon "cup" is still on the "ball" when it gets repaired.

OP
OP
C

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that the isolator is broken & would just spin & lift off the pin it was attached to? There is not a picture of the complete isolator in the service manual but I assume there is normally threaded shafts on each end of the isolator. Any advice or is this just a replacement of the isolator thing?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, threaded shafts on each end of the isolator. Just replace the isolator with the SVS or Detert bolt. You will be much happier.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isolator is $280 (210 w/ discount)! How much more noise & vibration w/ just a bolt? Anyone have an isolator they're willing to part w/?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, most '02 Final Edition's came with a 7 year factory warranty. That covered motor and drive line, but you might be able to extend that to everything for not much more. Just a thought.... and I'm not sure the new warranty would even cover previous damaged parts.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isolator is $280 (210 w/ discount)! How much more noise & vibration w/ just a bolt? Anyone have an isolator they're willing to part w/?

I am real happy with the bolt. A little more vibration, but you can feel the gates a lot better. The bolt does not seal up to the lower rubber boot so you feel a little more heat. I think the stock shifter with the bolt feels a lot like an aftermarket shifter.

If you want a replacement isolator just start a new thread, there should be dozens of them working as paper weights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456