How long for computer to relearn new TPS?

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still trying to solve my hesitation problem. I am going to try to change the TPS again. The last time I changed it, I was getting idle hang at around 1000RPM until I would tap the throttle, then it would goto normal. How long does it take for the computer to relearn the new TPS so I don't have this problem? Thanks.

Also, what's the best way to make it relearn? Should I drive normally? Should i restart her a bunch of times? Long runs? Let me know. Thanks!

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know if the TPS replacement is the same idea as removing the battery connection for a day, but it took about 30-40 miles for my car to get back to normal. I just drove it to work and back, et al., i.e. normal driving.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After installing the new TPS did you turn the key (without starting the engine) and fully open the throttle bodies once? That is all that is required.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Mr Hemi, I did not do that. Here is my problem.

On a cold start almost ever since I got the car, She will start fine, for about 2-3 minutes, and when I pull out or wait longer than 2-3 minutes, I will get hesitation, as in, when I step on the throttle to go, the car will buck and it ****** me off. It does this until I step on it good and go pretty fast, then it goes away until I turn the car off, let her sit for a few minutes, and the process begins again. Also, if I start her, and just let her sit, she wants to stall if I don't "clear her throat" by going about 30-40 for a few seconds. Today when she did it, I had her out of gear and stepped on the throttle lightly. With my foot not moving, the rpms would fluctuate about 1000rpm up and down.

I tried a lot of things to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. It has to be a sensor, but I dunno, I feel i replaced them all, O2's, MAP, Intake, New Plugs, New Wires, Unplugged battery.

Maybe it's something in the ignition because when I first noticed the problem, I was at the McDonalds drive through in March I believe, and my engine light came on, and right then it started to do it. The codes were high volts in the o2 sensor and ignition misfire. I did replace the O2's with Bosch plugs, and I did nothing for the misfire?

Help me please!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put a scan tool on the car, start it and see it it tells you the output voltage of the TPS is at idle and as you press down the throttle. TPS has a 5 volt referance. The DRB scan tool will tell you if it is going out of range. If your TPS was bad, it should throw a check engine light. I am wondering if you have a bad engine temp sensor. The temp sensor will tell the PCM to run a richer air fuel mixture when cold and lean up as the car warms (like a choke in a carb) I think there are two temp sensors one in the front right side and one in the back under the cowl. I dont know the spec, but pull them and check the resistance when cold. Check with Chuck Tator as to the resistance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave