How often do you guys clean your car?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you that never wash it you guys will think I'm crazy, but I like to wash mine about once a week, I find it theraputic even though it is clean except for dust. But since I know even just hours after the car is finished being washed and dried, dust and whatever settles unless it is sealed in an airtight chamber or something. So what do you do between washes, or when you bring a clean car back from a drive? Do you just do the california duster thing and polish with a detail spray, if so how often, is this only when the car sits or is it different if you drive it some? Just seeing what others regiments are :dunno:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER use a Cali duster as it can easily scratch the finish. I personally gently wipe the car down with detail spray and a good mf cloth after each use unless really dirty, then a total hand wash and also check for anything out of place. Nice Darth Vader outfit !!

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything you do will scratch the paint at some level. Whether you see it or not depends on the color.
My car is black the only time I use detail spray is right after wash. If it's dusty it gets washed or it stays dusty! I will go years without swirl marks. If you have a lighter color car you won't see much of it for quite a while. On black or other dark color one mistake and you will see it.
Good luck

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Duster does leave some streaks, but it's better than a car covered in dust and grass (I live in the country). I know I'll have to polish every year, but keeping it a little more shiny in between is worth it.

I wash every couple of weeks and cover before events if I'm not going to be needing the car until then. I've been checking out Adam's Waterless Wash lately (the last few months) and it's a good in between process if you're only dealing with light dust. With a dark color like mine, there's NO way to keep it perfect unless you dont' drive or clean the car between washes.:omg:

The Duster is OK IF you use it right. Watch the Junkman vid on it and you'll see what I mean. If you barely touch the car, you're not going to do that much damage to the paint. Besides, polishing her out every year or so is VERY rewarding.

If anyone ever considers doing as the above has done with using detail spray on anything except a just washed car, you really should try the Waterless Wash ... it has a lot more lubricants and doesn't damage the finish in between washes. No, I get no kick backs from that statement, it's just what I've observed on my car over the last few months.

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waterless Wash is cheaper than Detail Spray (which is an advantage), but it has more of a cleaning agent in it (not so much more of a lubricant as Detail Spray has). It's not the lube that will save your paint, it's the correct process of properly removing the dust. Wiping down a dusty car with ANYTHING is the worst possible thing you can do to paint other than washing it incorrectly. That's why I did my Waterless Wash videos so that folks could see the proper way to remove DUST, NOT DIRT. There's only one way to remove dirt and that is to properly wash the car.

That's why I wash mine two or three times a week.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless I'm back from a road trip or pick a bunch of bugs from driving at night, mine really doesn't get all that dirty. It probably get truly washed about once every three weeks.
I use detail spray and wipe it down quite a bit though. Especially right now with all the pollen.
I know Junkman will scold me for it, but I keep a fresh coat of wax on the car, so everything comes up really easy with the spray. Plus, mine's silver, so it's easy to keep looking good.
I have to admit that black cars look better than anything else when they're clean, but if I'm keeping a car for long time, I usually lean towards silver because it stays looking good for longer. Hell, I've got 30k on mine and the side sills don't even look blasted unless you literally get 6 inches from them. When I was looking at Vipers, I looked at some black ones, but the side sills looked awful because you could see every single little chip.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Chuck is going to have an aorta collapse.......:D

:rolaugh:

Unless I'm back from a road trip or pick a bunch of bugs from driving at night, mine really doesn't get all that dirty. It probably get truly washed about once every three weeks.
I use detail spray and wipe it down quite a bit though. Especially right now with all the pollen.
I know Junkman will scold me for it, but I keep a fresh coat of wax on the car, so everything comes up really easy with the spray. Plus, mine's silver, so it's easy to keep looking good.
I have to admit that black cars look better than anything else when they're clean, but if I'm keeping a car for long time, I usually lean towards silver because it stays looking good for longer. Hell, I've got 30k on mine and the side sills don't even look blasted unless you literally get 6 inches from them. When I was looking at Vipers, I looked at some black ones, but the side sills looked awful because you could see every single little chip.

No scolding from me. I never scold. Now a beating might be in order...
You must be registered for see images

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not let it get too dusty that people feel the need to rub their finger to write things on your car.

The previous owner of my car obviously didn't wash much, it was so rough!!! I had to clay it with 2.5 clay bars, it was nasty. If you don't clay then you aren't getting everything.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Cali duster used properly (and one not older than grandma) will NOT scratch your car.
If it does you are not using it right.
As Junkman has explained you lightly feather the duster over the car, not RUB it on the paint.
The strands lightly sweep over the suface picking up the surface dust.
What you may see is some wax residue if the car is hot, but no way should it scratch the car.

I have used them for years, and never scratched the clearcoat.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
great guys, that is what I expected to hear, and yes I agree ala the Junkman about using a cali duster ONLY the proper way, but looks like washing is best and since I find it theraputic I think once a week even though it is clean is ok lol :D

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I typically wash mine every week, but here lately with the back surgery it isn't so much of a pleasure.

Hey, AJ, am I doing something wrong? Sounded like your post was telling me not to use the Waterless Wash after the Duster for only dust?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car never looks as cries as it does after a wash! Only time I get to myself. Only thing I like better than a woman covered in suds and nothing else.........is my Viper covered in suds!

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sometimes will got two months or longer without washing since it just gets dusty. I have used the California Duster for 2 1/2years with no scratches or marks. It probably helps that I keep about three coats of wax on it; however, I have only waxed it 2 - 3 times in the three years I have owned it.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I typically wash mine every week, but here lately with the back surgery it isn't so much of a pleasure.

Hey, AJ, am I doing something wrong? Sounded like your post was telling me not to use the Waterless Wash after the Duster for only dust?

No, not at all. If you are doing it the way I do it in my videos, you are fine. Just remember, only DUST for the CA Duster, never dirt. :2tu:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever my finger swipe of the front wheels reveals a noticeable buildup of brake pad dust:wow:. That stuff is corrosive, and if you're going to wash the wheels, might as well do the whole Viper. I use a natural bristle brush (horse hair I think) with a wooden handle to float away the dirt on the car surfaces rather than a sponge/fleece rag. Been doing that for a number of years with good results.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waterless Wash is cheaper than Detail Spray (which is an advantage), but it has more of a cleaning agent in it (not so much more of a lubricant as Detail Spray has). It's not the lube that will save your paint, it's the correct process of properly removing the dust. Wiping down a dusty car with ANYTHING is the worst possible thing you can do to paint other than washing it incorrectly. That's why I did my Waterless Wash videos so that folks could see the proper way to remove DUST, NOT DIRT. There's only one way to remove dirt and that is to properly wash the car.

That's why I wash mine two or three times a week.

I thought I was the only one. I dont put the car away till I know its clean. My neighbors must think Im crazy... :omg:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell them to pitch a tent in my driveway. They haven't seen anal until I break out my Air Force Master Blaster. :)

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in the country, I am more concerned with the ducky and goosy poop that accumulates around the car. Lucy (the white goose) poops like a human. Hose down that section of the driveway daily.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash it almost after every time I drive it then spray wax it. Not one swirl mark!! The car gets so dusty driving it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You dont really get much from peoples responses unless they also say how many miles they put on there viper yearly. For example. 2 car washes per year might not sound like much to you but some guys dont drive their vipers so there is no need to wash.

I drive about 5,000-7,000miles per year and bucket wash about 3-4 times.
When/Why i bucket wash:
- after a trackday,
- after driving in the rain(if crap gets on the car,
- Before my yearly polish & synthetic wax/sealant.

I hate washing a gen2 viper with a bucket/hose. There is so many nooks&cranys for water to hide in and streak out once you drive, and h20 in the engine bay, in the sidesills, ect... Also, its a **** it is to fully dry the polished aluminum HRE wheels to keep from waterstaining/pitting. bla bla bla use a blow drier, I dont think so, your blowing dust&crap back onto your car.

Everyother day I drive I:
-CaliDust,
-straightline waterlesswash,
-waterlesswash,
-and once a week or so i'll finish her off with quick detailer or quick spray wax

If many bugs accumulate on the facia or Rear i will hose just that area and wash.

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my first two bucket wash, then dried it using a leaf blower. I had three different neighbors standing in the street watching me like I was crazy.
The guy across the street said, "Just because you give your car a ******** and I only give mine a ********, doesn't make you better than me" :rolaugh:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my first two bucket wash, then dried it using a leaf blower. I had three different neighbors standing in the street watching me like I was crazy.
The guy across the street said, "Just because you give your car a ******** and I only give mine a ********, doesn't make you better than me" :rolaugh:

:rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California Duster if dusty and air compressor won't remove it. Detail spray for smudges. In the summer I sometimes wash it every time I drive it if its dirty when I come home. I at least spray it off and blow the water off with an electric leaf blower. I try to never towel dry my cars.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was washing it before every drive, once I go through the junkman process of removing the swirls I will be dusting it before a drive and washing after a drive before I put my cover on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456