How to buy a used Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.2- it must have been downhill, with the wind at it's back and below sea level. I can't imagine a 4,100+lb porker making that time with only 470HP:omg:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The increase in peek HP from 425 to 470 and in the torque from 420 to 470 is not the most important part of the story. The 392 engine makes much better power under the curve. Peak HP is at 6000 instead of 6200 and peak torque is at 4200 instead of 4800. The 2011 automatic model weighs ten pounds less. I think that people are going to be quite surprised at this vehicle's performance. Remember when the 426 hemi was underrated "back in the day"? I would not be a bit surprised if that was the case with this engine.

The only negatives I see is for those who want to add forced induction. The compression was increased from 10.3 to 1 to 10.9 to 1 and the programming is more complex due to the cylinder deactivation function, etc.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re the Jeep SRT8, I also have a 2008. I have not had any problems here in the winter, and I run the all-seasons. The only issue I have come across is that if the snow is deep and wet, the truck can "spin and drop" rather than climb out. However, I KNOW this is due to my tires since I choose to run all seasons all the time.

However, the one thing that may have been overlooked, is that the NV146 T-case transfers 10% of the torque to the front normally, and is on demand up to 50. However, if you turn the ESC OFF [yes, counter-intuitive] the transfer case bumps its standing torque application much higher than 10%. Ironically, the "snow mode" in the SRT-8 is to have the stability system turned OFF, or at least, until you get moving.

Also, regarding the debate about open diffs, yes, it is a pain in the ass. The brake biasing system does work in dry and wet conditions, however, in the snow it tends to fight itself. You can feel the system bias back, forth, back, forth, etc. I feel that an LSD would make this system MUCH better, with the brake bias only as a backup for extreme situations. I think Chrysler asked the brake biasing system to do a hell of a lot more than it ever should have been asked to do.

So, to sum it up, with snow tires and the ESC off, you will have no problem in the winter. Turning the ESC On will give you back your stability control as soon as you get moving. The Brake biasing does work, but it is the equivalent of doing dental work with a Dewalt. It can be done, but it isnt exactly the smoothest method.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob, I think I saw the 12.44 over on the Challenger forums. I'll have to go look again - I could be wrong. But you are right - it's the fatter torque curve that'a really the big improvement.

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a blck 2007 GCSRT8 I had shipped from Woodhouse. It's my DD but here in south Florida all I have to dig out of it sand! It has been a great fun ride! It needs a 6th gear.........

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i heard from a VERY reliable source that the 2012 GC SRT-8 will be alot heavier and will not take off as nice making the 2006-2010 models more special.

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I think I saw the 12.44 over on the Challenger forums. I'll have to go look again - I could be wrong. But you are right - it's the fatter torque curve that'a really the big improvement.

Video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFbxZZtywZ0&feature=related[/media] :2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. And it looked like there might be a little more left on the table. I heard that one of the Dodge tests might have been as low as 12.2.

Video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFbxZZtywZ0&feature=related[/media] :2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q6Qs4UGVH8[/media]