How to prevent headlights from yellowing?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by KDR83, Jan 30, 2013.

1. KDR83

KDR83 Enthusiast

My 97 GTS headlights are perfect and I want to keep them that way, what is the best way to keep the lights from yellowing? My car sits under a covered parking spot but at certain points in the day the sun shines on the headlights so I want to do some preventative measures. Will applying 3m or laminx keep the headlights from yellowing/hazing?

2. Dom426h

Dom426h Viper Owner

How many miles are on your Viper?
    Are they perfect because she was a garage queen or because you just recently polished them?

3. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Viper Owner

There is a UV coating on the lens from the factory, as long as that is not disturbed you should be Okay. Trying to apply a UV protectant wax might help, but as discussed here in the past that has little value. Just try to keep them clean and out of the sun as much as is reasonable.

Dom asked an important question because the long term result differs if they have been previously polished or if they are still original.

4. Jance GTS

Jance GTS Viper Owner

I was told that if you have them clear coated you won't have that problem anymore.

5. viperB

viperB Viper Owner

I have clear bra and it seem to work well.

6. Paul Hawker

Paul Hawker Viper Owner

Have not seen Viper headlights yellowing.

7. dave6666

dave6666 Enthusiast

Perfect VCA thread lol.

8. KDR83

KDR83 Enthusiast

Viper has 28k miles on it, I saw a couple pics of yellow lights on a viper, shoot there is a local orange srt10 viper that has hazy yellow lights

9. Paul Hawker

Paul Hawker Viper Owner

Most of the yellow headlights you have seen are because the owner put yellow tint on them.

10. mad0953

mad0953 Viper Owner

All the headlights in Tahiti are yellow

11. KDR83

KDR83 Enthusiast

I guess maybe not yellowing but hazing should be the more appropriate question, i want them to remain looking great

12. dave6666

dave6666 Enthusiast

Then sell the car to someone else please and spare us your ridiculous concerns. It's a car in case you had not noticed, and between dirt, humidity, rain, ozone, abrasion, airborne corrosives, salt, UV, oxidation and so on, you are going to be miserable while you own it posting threads on how to circumvent these uncontrollable phenomena.

13. Sybil TF

Sybil TF Viper Owner

Having a bad day?:rolaugh: Cranky, cranky!!!!

14. mattdillon

mattdillon Viper Owner

+1, What Paul Said! Of ALL the Things you Could be Worrying About on Your Viper, THIS is NOT 1 of Them! jmo!

15. Dom426h

Dom426h Viper Owner

I purchased my Viper with 40k miles and the headlights had cloudy scratched plastic from all the highway miles. I sanded em down to a good clean base then polished out to a sharp clear finish. Now i just hit em with plastic polish on my mothers powerball once or twice a year to maintain the clarity. Over 70k miles now and they look like new.

I have seen other higher mileage Vipers with pretty crappy looking headlights(Bonkers...;-) ) An hour of polishing can go a long way in freshening the old girl up :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Viper Owner

Weak, Don't mess with my buddy Bonk. :nono:

17. Viper Parts of America

Viper Parts of America Enthusiast

Everybody has different ways that they take care of their babies. Simple solutions for keeping these cars in great shape is never a bad thing - whether it is for that 2043 Barrett Jackson auction or just because you want it to look as new as possible. Some don't care and will head down the nearest gravel road while others will race home at the first sight of rain clouds. To each his own.

For those that have hazing, Mopar makes a good headlight kit that will polish them up nicely:

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/mopar-headlight-restoration-kit-68043526aa

And besides looking good, it also provides better lighting at night which is never a bad thing. Good luck in your quest!

18. Grisoman

Grisoman Enthusiast

I use the 3M film cut to fit. Not just on the Viper, but all my cars. Great protection from flying objects and surface oxidation (hazing). Good investment IMHO.

19. agentf1

agentf1 Viper Owner

I have seen C6 headlights crack from the heat after putting clear bra type of material on them. Not sure if the Viper does that also but I would be careful using it.

20. Chuck 98 RT/10

Chuck 98 RT/10 Enthusiast

I polished my headlights and put lamin-x on it last year. They still look great. I'll keep a lookout for cracking.

21. Grisoman

Grisoman Enthusiast

I've used this stuff on many vehicles with no issues. Perhaps it is an issue unique to the C6. But appreciate the heads-up.

22. KDR83

KDR83 Enthusiast

Calm down dude, my car is a daily driver, sees rain all the time in south florida, sees salty air since I work right on south beach, just seeing if there are any preventative measures since I saw an 05 with completely hazed over headlights the other day, just trying to take caution since unlike most people here, my car is my DD so its always exposed to the elements

23. Sybil TF

Sybil TF Viper Owner

Ha, ha, ha ,ha ,ha.

24. jwolf

jwolf Viper Owner

When I got my it was from Florida and the headlight were badly oxidized, The dealer had a professional polish them up for $200.
    I install the protective film I hope that stops and additional oxidation.

No signs and anything the last 3 years but my Viper is a garage queen, not my daily driver. it has seen it's share of rain when I take it out but it doesn't set outside all day in the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DrJ4TIfPaOg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  25. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Viper Owner

Are you sure it was in direct response to the 3m material or age of the headlight? I ran all season with a clear bra material on my headlamps with zero issues and I run HID's.

26. Dom426h

Dom426h Viper Owner

I assume you are taking about Crazing. Google it:
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...50,d.dmQ&fp=20c4163a263cdd37&biw=1170&bih=901

If a cars headlights are prone to this and it happens after a 3M or LaminX film is put on then i don't think you could positivly blame the film. Could be related to it though if the installer is using a heat gun to install and has it on a higher temp than the headlight is designed to handle. or he uses some harsh chemical to clean the light before install. In that case its the human's fault. Not the Film.

Comment from a Film installer on the G35 forum:
    "That is called "crazing" and I have seen it with numerous cars... mainly Nissan/Infiniti and Corvettes. You need to remove the film and take the car in to get them replaced. it will get worse over time... and the dealer will blame the film for whats happening. I have been installing kits for 6 years and have never had a car get this issue. Yet I have seen numerous headlights WITHOUT film get crazed... and every single time the dealer tries to blame film as the cause. I personally beleive it has to do with what is used to clean them. You havent used rubbing alchohol on them have you?"

27. Bo knows

Bo knows Enthusiast

I got tired of polishing mine all the time so I bought new ones for $650.00 each. I know it sounds like a lot but I sold the old ones on ebay for $325.00 each. That made feel a lot better about it !