How To Properly Remove Dust from Your Viper

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay boys and girls, The Junkman is back with another video series. This time I cover the proper technique of using a waterless wash product on your paint without damaging the paint. A lot of people experience scratches when using waterless wash products (even detail spray), because they use it at a inappropriate time. A waterless wash product is not a substitute for a proper 2-bucket washing but can be used if the situation is ideal. Howwever, if you use it at a time when your car should be 2-bucket washed, you could end up being your paint's worst enemy. It is not the product that is at fault, it is your technique.

There are 2 types of dirt that will end up on your car: dust and everything else (everything else as in mud, film, a herd of bird droppings, etc...). Waterless wash products are made for dust. Things like finger prints or something else that has just landed on your paint (like that special sauce from a Big Mac :omg:), can also be removed with a waterless wash product. If a major area of the car is covered with anything else, you need to wash it, especially a car covered with a dirt film (which is what you find covering the car after driving it in the rain). A caked on spot of something like bird droppings can be removed using a waterless wash product but you have to soak the spot real good and make sure that the substance is fully diluted enough to remove. Rubbing on it too soon will do nothing but scratch the paint.

Common sense is the key here. I can't list all the situations that a waterless wash product can be used for but after watching these videos, you will have a good idea. With that said, on to the videos!

You must be registered for see images

The Videos!

Waterless Wash - Part 1

Waterless Wash - Part 2

Waterless Wash - Part 3

Waterless wash - Part 4

The Junkman

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched this entire series via YouTube when you first arrived on the forum. I found this tutorial to be the MOST USEFUL of all your videos. I admit I was using the waterless wash products like a donkey.

:2tu:

:usa:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched this entire series via YouTube when you first arrived on the forum. I found this tutorial to be the MOST USEFUL of all your videos. I admit I was using the waterless wash products like a donkey.

:2tu:

:usa:

You are forgiven and now have the right to smack people upside the head when you see them doing it wrong! :D

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first time I have seen ANYONE who thinks the way I do. I have a black car and just assume that EVERYTHING will scratch/swirl the paint therefore before I touch the car with anything I either airblast the dirt/dust off or very lightly use the Cali Duster just like the JunkMan points out.

Bottom line is that dust can and WILL scratch your paint. The darker the paint color, the more it will show.

Thanks Junk, you are the best!:D

Ron

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first time I have seen ANYONE who thinks the way I do. I have a black car and just assume that EVERYTHING will scratch/swirl the paint therefore before I touch the car with anything I either airblast the dirt/dust off or very lightly use the Cali Duster just like the JunkMan points out.

Bottom line is that dust can and WILL scratch your paint. The darker the paint color, the more it will show.

Thanks Junk, you are the best!:D

Ron

We are a slowly growing breed! :2tu:

How To Properly Remove Dust from Your Viper ?

Drive fast, and dont stop.

I see the colors red & blue in your future. :rolaugh:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that Calif Duster still have that candle like wax in it? If it does, don't use it on a hot car....you will get candle wax streaks. I use a wax free micro fiber duster with a tiny bit of detail spray on it and wave it over the paint like the Junkmaster does.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that Calif Duster still have that candle like wax in it? If it does, don't use it on a hot car....you will get candle wax streaks. I use a wax free micro fiber duster with a tiny bit of detail spray on it and wave it over the paint like the Junkmaster does.

I'm not familiar with a substance on the CD Duster as you are describing. I have never had that experience personally.

Junkmaster... :lol:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant wait to watch these as mostly all i do is waterless wash with only a couple bucketwashes per year to prep for clay/polish/wax.
Time to see if my logic matches the junkman...:)

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out I've been doing it almost exactly the way Junkman suggests. I do admit however that I use the waterless wash on the car when there's more than just dust. Still partially plugged into the Matrix. :D

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant wait to watch these as mostly all i do is waterless wash with only a couple bucketwashes per year to prep for clay/polish/wax.
Time to see if my logic matches the junkman...:)

I can't wait to see your face at the end of the video series... :smirk:

Turns out I've been doing it almost exactly the way Junkman suggests. I do admit however that I use the waterless wash on the car when there's more than just dust. Still partially plugged into the Matrix. :D

We have plenty of red pills to go around. Just let me know when you're ready for another! :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKYOU for showing people how to properly use a DUSTER.
Those things should seriously come with instructions as the average person dosnt have enough common sense how to use.
Another tip i'd like to add to your process is to step away from the vehicle every few passes(like outside the garage), and vigerously skake the duster. This ensures that the bigger stuff that could possibly lightly scratch your paint is out of the duster:2tu:

After Dusting, i do a two step process: First i spray a generous/wastfull amount of my solution on the car and go over once very lightly with a MF. Then i go back a second time with a QD spray to remove anything left behind and leave a nice shine.

For the most part im on par with you. or i guess a bogey, reasons being:
1. i still use some Cheap MF's (i know when using them to use very little pressure)
2. i use watered down QD (50/50) to do a waterlesswashes job. Since ive been doing this so often recently im gonna have to pick up a couple waterlesswash products to compare then buy one of those bulk gallons once i find something i like.

thanks for all your helpfull&entertaining videos junkman

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video as always Junkman.
I have been defending the use of a duster for many years to all who claim they wreck the car paint, and yet some insist they have ruined their paint with one. You have clearly explained why. I have always used mine in just the way you mention, just lightly draping the fibers across the car and it works great. Also to all the detractors, buy a new one every once in a while they aren't mean to last forever you cheap SOB.......

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video as always Junkman.
I have been defending the use of a duster for many years to all who claim they wreck the car paint, and yet some insist they have ruined their paint with one. You have clearly explained why. I have always used mine in just the way you mention, just lightly draping the fibers across the car and it works great. Also to all the detractors, buy a new one every once in a while they aren't mean to last forever you cheap SOB.......

:rolaugh:

I would have to agree about buying a new one. Surely for a car like a Viper, one isn't going to complain about $25. That's what the Plymouth Sunbreeze guys complain about!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
iv been useing waterless carwash for a year now and not 1 scratch! not even a hair!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets