How to quiet down Corsa "Track" exhaust

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After doing to some research here I came across a thread that indicated adding High Flow cats to the Corsa system seemed to quiet it down a bit. Anyone out there have experience or knowledge in this matter? I bought the car with the system on it and it gets tiresome after a while in the cabin, it is boomy. Also considering adding some sound deadening material in the doors.

Thanks

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought Random Tech Ceramic High Flow Cats 3 years ago when I bought my Corsa Exhaust and it sounds great. I'm opposite of you though, and want my exhaust setup louder! So I purchased Metallic High Flow cats that came with my new American Racing Headers. If you have the Corsa, I believe the only way to make it quieter would be High Flow Cats, and you would want Ceramic since Metallic would make your exhaust slightly louder.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful, thanks. The car is supercharged so that should not matter, correct?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful, thanks. The car is supercharged so that should not matter, correct?

Well, being that your car is supercharged it's going to sound different than a N/A car like mine, but still the only way to lower the noise level is ceramic high-flow cats. The most popular are the Ceramic Random Tech, which can be bought from JonB at PartsRack. That's where I got mine 3 years ago. They aren't too expensive either.

Here is a direct link to them: PAIR 3" in/out Stainless / Ceramic Cats

However, if your car is supercharged, are you getting more than 650 HP to the wheels? If so, you may not want to go this route as noted on his site, but don't take my word for it. Call up JonB and ask him for his advice and buy the right cats from him that he suggests for your car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Th dyno sheet I have says 660+ hp to the wheels at sea level. I am at altitude but perhaps that does not matter?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Th dyno sheet I have says 660+ hp to the wheels at sea level. I am at altitude but perhaps that does not matter?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. 660+ is a lot of power to the wheels. Just call up JonB and ask him. Are you not running any cats at the moment? Or do you have straight pipes without cats? Regardless, any high-flow cats will quiet the car down, just Ceramic will be slightly quieter than metallic. See what JonB says or any vendor on this site will have the information you need. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not really sure. 660+ is a lot of power to the wheels. Just call up JonB and ask him. Are you not running any cats at the moment? Or do you have straight pipes without cats? Regardless, any high-flow cats will quiet the car down, just Ceramic will be slightly quieter than metallic. See what JonB says or any vendor on this site will have the information you need. :2tu:

I don't think it has cats, it sounds like a power boat when you start it up thus my desire to quiet it down some. I will call Jon and ask him. Thanks for your help!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, if you think the Corsa is too loud you may want to go back to the oem stock exhaust and if so call Jon at the PartsRack as he has them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After doing to some research here I came across a thread that indicated adding High Flow cats to the Corsa system seemed to quiet it down a bit. Anyone out there have experience or knowledge in this matter? I bought the car with the system on it and it gets tiresome after a while in the cabin, it is boomy. Also considering adding some sound deadening material in the doors.

Thanks

TR930: You actually have that 100% BACKWARDS. Any HiFlow cat will make the Corsa louder, vs OE cats. More airflow includes more decibels too. Are you certain you have a CORSA on the car? And OE cats? DONT buy HF cats to make it quieter unless its is cat-less.

Late Edit.... I just read your later post, suspecting you are catless. That would certainly explain the tiresome, boomy sound. Backfires too? Stinky? HF cats WILL solve those issues..... JonB~~~~:<~

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts Rack also has available a perferated cone insert for the exhaust that cuts down drone significantly.

They will cause a slight decrease in HP/Torque due to a little restriction, but the comprimise may be well worth it in your case.

They are not expensive, and can be removed fairly easily if you do not find it a benefit in your specific application.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts Rack also has available a perferated cone insert for the exhaust that cuts down drone significantly.

They will cause a slight decrease in HP/Torque due to a little restriction, but the comprimise may be well worth it in your case.

They are not expensive, and can be removed fairly easily if you do not find it a benefit in your specific application.

I saw these, but was concerned they generate additional heat? I might look into the ceramic cats and then perhaps this option as a last resort.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for a drive tonight, car is not too loud. Just got to man up. Car is breath takingly fast, sneaky fast.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Man up. Sc cars need to breathe, no cats if you stand the added noise.

And is be sure to retune if you add them. Or at least talk to woodhouse about it.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the secondary cats from a stock system. If you ask around there are plenty of them available from free to $100 per set shipped. They cut the harshness and made my system (not a Corsa) enjoyable. Net loss was about 25 hp. I was at 660 as well and now I'm at 625 but it was a hot day and a hot car so the loss was probably less. I can't feel the difference but the change in sound was worth any loss.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Sigh...If I could only get my Gen 4 w/corsa to sound as good as my S/C 06 w/corsa did.

OP
OP
T

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My M5 sounded amazing with performance exhaust, plus you got to hear it since it redlined at 8400. The Viper does not sound that good at all, but who cares when you have 660 rwhp?!