How to reset Check Engine Light??

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a big mistake and washed my Viper without covering up the VEC-2- it was missing bad when I fired her up. Ran it for about 30 minutes, got it nice and warn and it must have dried out- ran fine.

Problem is the check engine light came on - went on and off a couple of times but stayed on.

Is there a way to reset- on my Vette I could play with the "DIC" and reset

thanks

Rich

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also disconnect the negative cable to the Battery and leave off over night(24hrs). It should reset when you reconnect.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That probably will not work. It depends on what the fault is for how long it is retained. But a battery off condition is not the solution.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery off will work depending on the code. Auto Zone loans tools at no charge. I got a code once after washing my car but the light shut off on its on.

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My autozone did not have one for loan/rent so I bought one-

It took longer for me to take the reader out of its package than to plug it in and reset.

Told me I had a misfire on plug 8 and lean condition in bank 1- never like to see "Lean' !

Rich

Ghetto2315

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You dont have to wait 24 hours... 24 minutes would be fine

But resetting would be a good idea only to see if the light comes back on... if it does, you know you have a problem

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On (all?) Chrysler models with digital display odometers, cycling the ignition OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON displays the code in the odometer. On some models, it's ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON-ACC. And on some other models it's a 4-cycle or 5-cycle instead of the 3-cycle above. I will try this on my PT Cruiser. YMMV.