Hurst Shifter Group Buy, Modified to fit OEM knobs!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am planning on picking up 10 Hurst shifters and having them modified to fit OEM-Viper knobs. Regular retail price is about 275.00 with a Hurst knob, these will come in at 340.00, and be modified to fit OEM knobs. This Group Buy is to get this done at a reasonable cost, in effect lowering what it would cost to do a one off. You pick the height deviation from stock. 3 of the 10 are spoken for at this point. If I go beyond 10 units, Price will come down.

The hurst shifter is about as good as you can get, same used on the Comp Coupe.

Anyone interested? I am looking to get this done QUICK, all orders palced before years end, with shipping date of first week of Jan or so.

Thanks,

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan are you modifying the shifter or the knob? I have the Hurst installed and looking for other shifter knob options. I have the Hurst which the stock shifter knob will thread on. I know there has been talk about two different thread sizes for the Hurst.

I was leaning towards the MGW Hurst knob until I found out it doesnt fit the Hurst shifter with the same threads as the stock shifter.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wait a second... Hurst has a shifter that has OEM-Viper threads...? I have never seen such a part listed anywhere, and always see people complaining about the thread incompatibility. I just checked Hursts website, they only have one application listed, not two versions.

I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly, let me know. I was planning on modifying the Hurst assemblies to be able to accept ANY OEM-Viper threaded knobs- MGW of course, would fit.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in your Hurst shifter and like the idea that the stock knob will fit...but I'm confused about your pricing. Stock is $275 and your group buy (most times a group buy means a better price) is $340. What is the reason for the price being 20+% higher? Is it because of the special thread pattern (to fit the stock knob) cut in the shifter? Please advise....oh yeah, do I get a discount since I graduated from Williamsville High? (probably with your Mom and Dad!)

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TZOID- You are correct in your assumption. The additonal cost incurred is the machining costs. The group buy is not to get a better price, it is just to have it done. However, if I go BEYOND 10 units, then I can lower the price some for each additional. In order for this machine shop to do it at a reasonable cost, I must have 10 of them done.

As far as your Highschool, No soup for you! I went to Sweet Home, and Williamsville was the enemy! LOL You do however, get my simpathy!

Kidding aside, yeah, I'll knock something off for ya.

*I have updated the original message to reflect that, it was an oversight.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? If you can do the Hurst shifter + my unmodded stock knob at exactly 1 inch lower than stock, then I am in for sure.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader has a modified version (borrowed from another thread),

"I did mine at a machine shop for $25 dollars. Instead of drilling the whole and threading it, they simply cut and welded the original threads back on. They basically took 21/2 inches from the middle. The weld is clean and is covered by the boot. I love it with my hurst."

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Carguy07- That explains a lot!

For anyone wondering, these will NOT be welded. They will turn the shaft down and thread it. A little more expensive, but the results are superior.

I dont get why Nader would post then...? If he has stock threads, he has a MULTITUDE of knob options.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan - the Hurst shifter is now made with the stock thread size. Mine stock knob screwed right on the Hurst. There was a post recently called, "MGW shift knob for Hurst/Mopar shifter" in this forum that reviews these facts. In fact, MGW only found out because they were shipping old thread size shifter knobs to people who have the stock thread size Hurst. Apparantely at some point recently Hurst/Mopar change the threads on the shifter to the stock size.

Therefore all I needed to do was cut a portion out of the stock shifter and weld back on the ****.

Here is a pic on the modified shifter knob. Note since then I have had it back on the lathe to smooth it out further. While I like it, I think the MGW Hurst is nicer - so long as they will thread it for the stock threads. At the time, I wanted to keep it stock since I have a mamba (Red Knob).
9384DSC02640-med.JPG

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nader- Thanks!

That keeps me from even having to do this! However, we will see for sure when my first 3 Hursts's show up...

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime. Since I got mine over 3 months ago, I would assume you will get the updated shifter with the stock thread size.

You mentioned there are plenty of knob options out there however I havent seen many besides MGW. What else is there?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, you have all the variations of MGW, All OEM variations, (about 7 or 8 total right there) pluf any non-descript knobs off the shelf. I believe all T56's use the same threads for the knob, though I am not 100% sure.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I just got a bunch of the Hursts in... Brand new in the boxes from the Mopar depot- they ARE NOT different than the earlier versions! They WILL NOT fit OEM knobs! The Hursts still have a 1/2-20 UNF thread, and need to be changed to work with OEM-like knobs. It appears that Hurst went back to what they were originally doing.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like it...yes. I am going to take one over to the machine shop first chance I get (with the holidays and all, dont know their hours) and see what they say- hopefully there wont be any problems chucking them up into the machines.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. In thinking about it, I'm not quite sure how you would measure to obtain my 1" drop. You might have to re-thread one, install it with stock ball, measure to determine 1" drop(FROM STOCK HEIGHT!) and then remove, cut and re-thread-whew! Maybe there is an easier way. Hope no metal filings fall into the shifter.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ted- I have a full OEM setup in my hands and out of the car. You would just need to tell me what hieght deviation you would want from the OEM hieght, and I can match it to the hurst shifter. Ignore the knobs all together, measure from the top of the isolator (bottom of knob threads)

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, from OEM height I want to drop the ball exactly 1". I've been wanting to do this for a while, but was too chicken to hack up a new Hurst shifter. How late do you stay up anyway?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOL, OK... I must have contracted Foot-In-Mouth disease again... The new hursts are the same thread as the OEM knob- even though it states that it is different! LOL. However, it is about 1.5" taller than the OEM shaft height. In light of this, I need to get a quote on having them cut down to OEM height (or lower) if possible. The Hurst will thread on an OEM knob, but that is assuming that you want the know at about the height of the radio! I will post when I have more information on this... a group buy may be in order just the get them shortened to a usable height.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is funny... Dan why not just cut down the stock knob instead of the shaft of the shiter itself? Wouldnt that be easier? Or why not just go with the MGW knob? I spoke with them the other day and they mentioned they have a new know that is all brushed aluminum which would look good assuming you have all their goodies...

I think the look is similar to the license plate logo...

I will post a pic.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George says the top of the new shifter looks like this...

9384new3d2tonechromeemblem.jpg

George do you have a pic of the new shifter?

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, I want to keep my Mamba knob in its current pristine(returnable to stock) condition. Dan, if you can get the shifter shaft lowered as above, I am in for sure.

Ted

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nader- I considered just cutting the knobs, but unfortunately, that would only work for Stock knobs. Any other types of MGW knobs or other makes cannot be shortened enough to get back to stock or lower...and even the OEM would a difficult task because the shaft would end up being literally 3/4 of an inch.

Ted- I highly doubt that it would be possible with the hurst to get back to a stock hieght with the hurst AND keeping a stock length knob, it is just too long... you cannot cut that much off. You may want to just get another Mamba knob to cut...they should still be available.

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, being a little uninformed here, what are advantages of the Hurst shifter?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Shorter, More crisp shifts with stronger center retrun springs lessening the chance of a 2-1 or 3-2 shift when looking for 3 and 4.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, OK... I must have contracted Foot-In-Mouth disease again... The new hursts are the same thread as the OEM knob- even though it states that it is different! LOL. However, it is about 1.5" taller than the OEM shaft height. In light of this, I need to get a quote on having them cut down to OEM height (or lower) if possible. The Hurst will thread on an OEM knob, but that is assuming that you want the know at about the height of the radio! I will post when I have more information on this... a group buy may be in order just the get them shortened to a usable height.

OK, so what is the final verdict on this subject. Were you able to get a Hurst shifter for a '99 GTS that was cut down so it would take the stock knob and be at the stock height once installed? If so, what's the price? Thanks.....

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Final Verdict:

They are at the machine shop, waiting for a quote.

The shifters will be lowered to STOCK height with OEM threads- lowering beyond that cannot be done due to shaft bend. Will fit all aftermarket knobs. Will require cutting of OEM knob shaft to use factory knobs...will be too high. otherwise (unless you like it that high)

The way the hurst comes out of the box is 1.5 inches higher than the shock shaft, and even though it has OEM threads, will not correctly fit any knobs other than Hurst... it sits as high as the knob does when the car is new with anything other than hurst, which has no shaft, just a top ball.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PS- Once I have a couple of these back, I will post a comparison picture between OEM, Stock Hurst, and Modded Hurst

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62