I added nitrogen filled instead of regular air on all of the PS2's on my 1994 RT10..

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had all my tires purged and refilled with nitrogen on my RT-10 last week. To be honest the 15 bucks per tire to get the process done was not worth the benefit in my opinion. I still gained 3-4 pounds on each tire after a hard run and the car still handled the same. MPG was also the same as with regular air.

I read all the benefits on line regarding nitrogen filled vers regular compressor air and decided to try it out. So after one full week. Not sold on the extra 60 bucks. I realize that all track cars use nitrogen in ones tires. But if any extra gain is found, a street car in my opinion will not see these extra gains for dollar per value.

Any other member input? Arthur

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I added nitrogen filled instead of regular air on all of the PS2's on my 1994 RT

Any other member input? Arthur

Why yes. Yes I do have input.

Buy a cylinder of nitrogen. It's less than you spent, and can fill your tires for years. And your friends tires for years. And their friends tires. And...

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I added nitrogen filled instead of regular air on all of the PS2's on my 1994 RT

I'm not sure the benefits are there for a street car. For track cars, nitrogen is more predictable than air in terms of pressure build with heat....and when you're starting an R6 at 24 psi and trying to get it to 36-37 hot it can be quite a crap shoot with changes in humidity. Nitrogen makes it easier to hit your mark without a lot of iterations.

For the street, I'm not sure what the benefits would actually be.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Air is 78.08% Nitrogen. Good enough for the street.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

True. But how many dealers use a vacuum pump to take All the air out of the tire before filling it with Nitrogen? I would guess none. So there would still be some moisture content left albeit less.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nitrogen fill in this area is $5 / tire and they vacuum pump all the air out. It is suppost to be better for tire sensors because of the moisture issue.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run Nitrogen in my tires; but the only benefit to running Nitrogen instead of Oxygen about which I am aware, has to do with permeation. Oxygen molecules are smaller than Nitrogen molecules, and permeate (leak) through tire rubber faster than does their Nitrogen counterpart.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why yes. Yes I do have input.

Buy a cylinder of nitrogen. It's less than you spent, and can fill your tires for years. And your friends tires for years. And their friends tires. And...

This..... but really? REALLY?? I put cheap 'air' in my tires all the time. It comes off my garage compressor.

Cheers

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All this fuss, and nobody is concerned about the air on the outside of the tire. What about the atmosphere that is contacting the exterior of the tire. Maybe if we spray nitrogen on the tread we may have more consistent lap times. Also, If you get a nail in the tire, how will the nitrogen react to that? Will the lower moisture content help prevent the nail from rusting, as to create a safer environment for the tire repair guy? What about that guy? .......:eater:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use Hydrogen with my Magnesium wheels. Embrittlement, magnesium and flat tires are really exciting.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

God you people are dumb. Install the iCar vacuum app and drive in a atmosphere free environment. Zero drag, no corrosion, safe as safe can be for the tire guy. Duh :rolleyes:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Coming from a wheel and tire dealer, I'm going to have to side with the Nitrogen refills being a semi-hoax. As stated, normal air is 78% Nitrogen anyways. The main benefit of Nitrogen is that extreme changes in temperature do not affect the tire pressure as much. No big deal, tires sit about 2 psi lower on cold days, but typically get back to normal when driven and the tire heats back up.

As for the sensors being messed with, that is also nonsense. I can submerge a TPMS sensor in water, and it will still function properly afterwards. The only thing that *might* damage a TPMS sensor is a can of Fix-a-flat. And, that is only if the tiny measuring port hole gets plugged. We can usually dig that hole out with a needle and the sensor still works.

ultradriver10000

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I pay extra for the invisible king's coating on all my rubber, I don't know about nitrogen but it sounds like a really good idea.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought new tires for my 5500 Ram and filled with Nitrogen, I was told that the tires run cooler and will get better mileage out of the tires. Well my original air tires made it to 142000 Kms. My New nitrogen tires made it 110000kms. I have gone back to air and my next set I got 145000 kms. Same tires, Same road conditions. Another thing is not all tire shops have nitrogen if you are low.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's try Helium in our track tires to reduce unsprung weight. -We still should spray Nitrogen on the outside of the tires though, just for good measure.......:smirk:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

....or hydrogen. That'd make blowouts an audio AND visual thing......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R