I am finally off the fence.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as many of you know I have been on the fence about getting a Viper since 12/01 and have been following sales etc *** finally decided that I am going to make the move. This is despite a lot of people telling me I won't be happy with a Viper. I heard this from both ex viper owners as well as vette buddies etc but I sold my old vette so basically there is no turning around now. I hope I don't kick myself down the road for getting rid of my Stingray but I lost the show bug a while ago and it really is too nice of a car to drive IMHO and not to mention I am more into speed and driving.

My question to you guys is what do I do about the front bumper on my new GTS when I get one? I plan on driving it approx 2000 miles a year and wonder what is my best bet, a clear bra, a regular bra which are kinda ugly IMHO or just do nothing and deal with a knick here and there and maybe paint the bumper down the road when it gets bad enough if it ever does. What do you guys do? What area get beat up from driving? Side sills? Can the side sills be protected with 3m film or do they get too hot? Behind the wheels? Hood or just the bumper?

I think after 5 years and I still have not gotten it out of my system I am pretty sure I want a Viper. I also have not found anything that would be a show stopper, they really are pretty sturdy cars and can be driven and are not too bad to work on. The only down fall is some parts may be hard to get and the Viper tax but this comes with the exclusivity which is part of the draw.

I guess now the long search begins. I actually missed a few great deals while I was on the fence but now that I have cash in hand I will look as long as I need too to find the "right car" with no stories.

All advice welcomed.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically just take your time and shop around. You will find a good deal if you are patient, sounds like you are.

And you will LOVE the Viper, I have zero regrets about my purchase, it's everything I imagined.

Good luck in your search.

Rob

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It took me 8 months from the time I decided to buy a Viper until the time I found the exact car I wanted. Be patient it's worth the wait.

It's like nothing you have ever driven...in a good way...lol

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 miles isnt a big deal...its not enough in my opinion to do much damage but if ya want, get a clear bra and be done with it

lilviv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My question to you guys is what do I do about the front bumper on my new GTS when I get one? I plan on driving it approx 2000 miles a year and wonder what is my best bet, a clear bra, a regular bra which are kinda ugly IMHO or just do nothing and deal with a knick here and there and maybe paint the bumper down the road when it gets bad enough if it ever does. What do you guys do? What area get beat up from driving? Side sills? Can the side sills be protected with 3m film or do they get too hot? Behind the wheels? Hood or just the bumper?
I actually just got my first Viper, ships to me tomorrow. I will drive about as much as you do, maybe a bit more . . . and I did the clear bra. I have one on my Supra, put it on right after I repainted it . . . those things are worth every penny. Each time you find a rock knick in that bra, you get vey happy. :)

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you've come to terms with the "driver vs. garage queen" dilemma. 2000 miles a year isn't much mileage, but it's better than hanging out with the concourse, "cue-tip" crowd. :p That aside, we all want to keep our cars as pristine as possible while still enjoying them.

If accumulating a few paint chips and nicks on the front facia won't drive you crazy, then just get it resprayed every couple of years. No biggie. Mine is getting painted as we speak.

If these little imperfections will keep you up at night, do the 3M, Armourfend etc. and be done with it. You can cover all of the areas that you mentioned without issue. The quality of the job depends highly on the skill of the installer.

The front facia and bottom of side sills take the biggest beating. Especially if you're aggresive on track or during spirited VCA runs/events. If you change to Khumos on the rears or similar, you'll sandblast the paint behind them. I'd advise adding the clear in this case.

Lastly, good for you for following your gut on this one. You're the one with the cash-in-hand, it's YOUR decision. Do what's right for you, bro. You don't want to be five years down the road and have regrets for not going balls out...

Viper-up and enjoy the drive. :usa:

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I am leaning toward finding a good installer and doing the front bumper with a clear bra. I don't need it on the hood also do I? I hate the line across the hood that it leaves. OK for my driver but not the Viper.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned Many Mustangs (Cobra's, Saleens), Corvettes (C4&5), BMW M3's and an M5. Now I have a Viper and have owned it for 2 years. I couldn't possibly be any happier. Point being, you seem like I did before I bought mine, and any time i ever think about selling for another car, it is another Viper not a another car. You will be VERY happy with your Viper. Good Luck... :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man who in the world was telling you NOT to get a viper? They must be smokin some crack or something. I've owned mine for almost 2 years now and i'll NEVER sell it. I freakin love this car!

Also it depends on what you are planning on doing ot the car? Leaving it stock or modifying it?
If you plan to add a Roe SC with more then a 5lb pulley, or a nitrous syatem. Then buy a 99 or older.
I have a 99 and in my opinion it is the best year FOR ME, it has forged internals, 99 has upgraded 18" wheels, and upgraded interior, basically it has eveything an 02 has besides ABS brakes.

Are you looking for a hardtop GTS or a RT/10 so you can take the top off on a warm summer day and feel the breeze in your hair?

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man who in the world was telling you NOT to get a viper? They must be smokin some crack or something. I've owned mine for almost 2 years now and i'll NEVER sell it. I freakin love this car!

Also it depends on what you are planning on doing ot the car? Leaving it stock or modifying it?
If you plan to add a Roe SC with more then a 5lb pulley, or a nitrous syatem. Then buy a 99 or older.
I have a 99 and in my opinion it is the best year FOR ME, it has forged internals, 99 has upgraded 18" wheels, and upgraded interior, basically it has eveything an 02 has besides ABS brakes.

Are you looking for a hardtop GTS or a RT/10 so you can take the top off on a warm summer day and feel the breeze in your hair?

Looking for an 02 Graphite w/stripes. Will most likely keep it stock, may do gears and exhaust.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,
Glad to hear you're almost one of us! :)

After four years, my front fascia has plenty of little nicks and such from normal operation, along with a scrape or two on the bottom from the occasional steep driveway. You can't really see them unless you're right up close looking for them, and furthermore, my philosophy is that from behind the wheel, you can't see them at all! I'll probably have it repainted next year.

Hope to see you around come spring!

-Matt

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,
Glad to hear you're almost one of us! :)

After four years, my front fascia has plenty of little nicks and such from normal operation, along with a scrape or two on the bottom from the occasional steep driveway. You can't really see them unless you're right up close looking for them, and furthermore, my philosophy is that from behind the wheel, you can't see them at all! I'll probably have it repainted next year.

Hope to see you around come spring!

-Matt

Hey Matt, good to hear from you. Yes I am making the move. It would be nice if I was able to find one by spring. :nana:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtoce1