I guess all isn't well in paradise... C6Z teethin pains...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I guess all isn\'t well in paradise... C6Z teethin pains...

Hmmm. That ***** but sounds easy enough to fix with a small pressure vessel. (Vette guys...read PVC ;) )

Here is the first post:

C6 Z06 Track Problems.....
....MUST be addressed by Chevy. NOW!!! GDMIT!!!

Currently there are 2 problems with the C6 Z06 that need to be addressed by Chevy.

1. David Farmer reports that the Traction Control is more intrusive and the will NOT allow the car to be power oversteered out of a corner. I am trying to confirm with him that the TC/AH was actually in the OFF Mode and was still limiting the car. Chevy presented the C6 Z06 for evaluation to a number of seasoned WC drivers to **** at a track.

2. Unlike the C5 Z06, the C6 Z06 has a Tire Pressure Warning System installed. Unlike the C5 and when activated on the C5 Z06, it only acted like a TPWS and no other system derived data from it, thus it could be activated/deactivated thru the DIC. However, the C6 Z06 system can not be shut off as the ABS, Traction Control and Active Handling derive data from it.

The ONLY current solution with race wheels and tires is to add the TPW sensors to each wheel. This still presents a number of problems:
- If a non sensor equiped wheel is used the BCM will read it as a flat (less than 25% of nominal pressure, 30-39 psi range) and will default to Traction Control ON and a Reduced Power Mode.
- The TPW sensors only have a narrow range, 28-40 psi. So even if you have them...they will again Default as race tire pressures frequently run over 40 psi and drag tires are frequently run under 25 psi. On some of my Hoosier A3S04's the starting cold pressure is 44 psi !
- A $2,200 Tech II Analyser is necessary to reprogram the BCM each time a new sensor or set of sensors is initially placed on the car (read this as EVERY TIME A TIRE IS CHANGED). This initializes each sensor into the BCM AND tells the BCM the location of each sensor on the car.
- This is an added cost for using race wheels and tires and logistically is time consuming and a PITA. So even if you installed TPW sensors in all you race wheels you would need the Tech II Analyser and need to reprogram the BCM every time you switched from street to race tires, back from race to street tires, changed even a spare in the pits, put on intermediates, or put on rain tires.

NOTE: There is also a Special Magnet available which can be used when rotating the tires instead of the Tech II Analyser, but it can ONLY be used when rotating tires. It allows you to reprogram the BCM thru the DIC as to the sensors new position. The caveat here is that all 4 need to be reinitialized and you must do it in a specific order...ie LF/RF/RR/LR. This is not a problem on street only cars as they only rotate tires or dismount/remount in the same position for a flat as they don't use a spare.

- Each TPW sensor has a minimum cost @ $46 (lowest I could find) + mounting hardware. So if I have & run a dual use car on street tires and have slicks, intermediates, rains and a couple spares (1 front & 1 Rear for each set) I need 18 TPW sensors. That's an additional $828. and I have to reprogram with a Tech II Analyser every time I change a tire.
- TPW sensor equiped wheels need extra care when mounting and dismounting
- Some race wheels need to be machined in order to accept the TPE sensors. This may or may not be possible and may weaken the wheel
- The current TPW sensors necessary mount on the already heaviest part of the wheel...ie the valve stem.
- While resonably light, at 1 gram each, they still need to be counter balanced and thus add twice their weight to each wheel. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize i just spent an extra $250 for Titanium hardware on each of my 3 piece race wheel sets to save a couple of grams.
- Cross talk occurs as TPWS have been known to give false information when inervated by another equiped TPWS car. This is something that erroneously and needlessly distracts you at 180 MPH. Quite frequently there are 10 or more other Z06's running in close proximity to you. They may even read your spares as you drive by the pits
- The TPWS have been interfered with by oother RF systems such as timing devices
- The TPWS have been known to interfer with other in car RF devices such as timing devices.

Technology is great. Monitoring and real time data acquisition is fine. The EXCEPTION is when it becomes intrusive and limiting. The sin and crime is when it is mandated NOT by performance consumers but rather by lawyers and accountants.

The C5 Z06 did fine without Run Flats and TPWS and with an AH/TC that could be shut off completely on the track. I expected the C6 Z06 to be technologically better and perform better than the C5 Z06, an evolution....these currrent problems only make it a PITA and more costly, .....mutant technology.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

With any new production there are always little things that need to be fixed. The thing that we need to do is learn from the mistakes that corvette has made and not do the same in the Viper. :)

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Add some more electronic gizmos! Never enough!

Hee Hee.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They'll work that stuff out. Although if that crap wasn't on the car in the first place...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did y'all notice that Fast Freddy is there pumping up the Viper :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4