I have buildup on my wheel and I cannot remove it

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started a new thread because the other one does not cover this crap on my wheels.

I purchased a set of wheels that were used for the track and there is some kind of buildup that no matter what I use I cannot get rid of it. It is in the corner and looks like caked up brake dust. It can be scrapped off but that will ruin the finish of the wheels. Here is a photo of what I am talking about. So far I have used the following

paste wax
goo gone
brake cleaner
turtle bug and tar remover
cleaner wax
meguiars wheel cleaner
polish compound

Can anyone assist? I am about to pull my hair out and really dont want to have to get these wheels powder coated since their finish is still good.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are they clear coated ? its hard to see fro mthe pic but looks like it might be in the actual clear coat

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it didn't come off with brake cleaner that is on there pretty good. Brake cleaner is pretty harsh stuff.

Mineral spirits???? not sure what effect that will have on the coating though. After that it's acetone.

I'd just leave it alone for track wheels, they're gonna get dirty all the time anyways

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it didn't come off with brake cleaner that is on there pretty good. Brake cleaner is pretty harsh stuff.

Mineral spirits???? not sure what effect that will have on the coating though. After that it's acetone.

I'd just leave it alone for track wheels, they're gonna get dirty all the time anyways

They were track wheels, I want to use them as street wheels. Just picked them up. Acetone did the trick though it took a lot of elbow work. It marred the finish in a few spots but nothing that the detailer I am having pay a visit cant fix when he does my pre-storage detail.
The guy who owned them didn't do a whole lot of damage to the wheels so their faces are in excellent condition, just need cleaning and a couple little, tiny chips that need touchup.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were track wheels, I want to use them as street wheels. Just picked them up. Acetone did the trick though it took a lot of elbow work. It marred the finish in a few spots but nothing that the detailer I am having pay a visit cant fix when he does my pre-storage detail.
The guy who owned them didn't do a whole lot of damage to the wheels so their faces are in excellent condition, just need cleaning and a couple little, tiny chips that need touchup.

glad you got them cleaned up

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to hear they cleaned up. Be careful with Acetone. Not only will it eat your paint quickly, but it also penetrates your skin easily due to its small particle size. It also allows other chemicals to ********* your skin easily as well. Do it in a ventilated area too.

Lets see some after pics!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad you got them cleaned up
Lol them cleaned up? 2.5 hours later and I have the face of one front one clean enough to put on my car. Still need to clean the barrel and remove weights and that gummy stuff. Any recommendations on removing the doublesided tape from stick on weights? I do have a heat gun.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've really got to look at the amount of time you're putting into this....if they can be powercoated, it will be cheaper and you'll have new looking wheels.

Unless you have a lot of time to kill, it will be cheaper to have them refinished.

I just had some large off road wheels that I bought for next to nothing powder coated, about $80.00 per rim. They had a ton of oxidation, black crap and weight adhesive stuck to them. I started cleaning one and figured I can put in a couple of extra hours at work and pay for the refinishing and not have chemicals and a mess all over me. Plus now they look brand new.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me I weighed heavy and really considered just having them powder coated. Their coat is actually really good even under the crap I'm removing. Would be easier that way but most likely they won't have the smooth factory finish as they have now.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol them cleaned up? 2.5 hours later and I have the face of one front one clean enough to put on my car. Still need to clean the barrel and remove weights and that gummy stuff. Any recommendations on removing the doublesided tape from stick on weights? I do have a heat gun.

I thought you were only battling this one spot in the pic

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with TrackAire. Get em powdercoated. They will have a smooth finish in less time and you'll still have the skin on your fingers.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with TrackAire. Get em powdercoated. They will have a smooth finish in less time and you'll still have the skin on your fingers.

money is a slight issue, another 300 just to get them powder coated and I think my local shop could do a little better job then last time. Dont get me wrong, my last ones look awesome, but the powder they had gave a slight orange peel effect.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I failed at cleaning them. I got the fronts really clean and went to tackle the rears. The barrels of the rears were so caked up that I couldn't fathom spending all that time. Back to the powder coater.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be careful that the powdercoater knows what they are doing with regards to the material that your wheels are made of. Aluminum alloys aren't all the same; and I have been told that a powder coater can significantly weaken a wheel if they "burn off" the old finish with a high temperature. (Told to me by John Purner of CCW.)

I'm guessiing that the brake pad material you are trying to get off was very hot (track-braking temperatures) and thats why it bonded sowell with the finish.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be careful that the powdercoater knows what they are doing with regards to the material that your wheels are made of. Aluminum alloys aren't all the same; and I have been told that a powder coater can significantly weaken a wheel if they "burn off" the old finish with a high temperature. (Told to me by John Purner of CCW.)

I'm guessiing that the brake pad material you are trying to get off was very hot (track-braking temperatures) and thats why it bonded sowell with the finish.

They are sandblasting the wheels. It was either very hot or it got wet after it sat on the wheels for a long time. Oh well no biggie, I tried to fight getting them powder coated but in the end I will end up with brand new wheels.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... Aluminum alloys aren't all the same; and I have been told that a powder coater can significantly weaken a wheel if they "burn off" the old finish with a high temperature. (Told to me by John Purner of CCW.)

He would know. I'll add this for anyone else who may be looking at this same dilemma. If brake cleaner doesn't remove the stain, stop while you're behind. Brake cleaner as MTGTS pointed out is some brutal stuff and will eat some substances away. That should be your last resort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets