I locked my keys in the car!

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Mopar Steve, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Viper Owner

Okay go ahead bust my chops. I deserve it. I am in the middle of an engine job in my garage and just got back with some plasticguage and assy lube and... before I could stop... I closed the door. Key is hanging half out of the ignition.

HELP.

I think I saw somewhere on here there is a "trick" to getting in. I tried the search but no luck.

This is my 2001 GTS. If someone could pm me the secret that would be awesome.

Thanks, Steve.

2. JonB

JonB Viper Owner

GTS is a bugger......you know how to reach me..... JonB~~~~:<~

3. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member - Great Lakes

Call me at ... ... ....

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  4. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

Steve....you oughta start charging for this! :rolaugh: My buddy with the Gen 3 appreciated your assistance a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again.

5. Steve-Indy

Always happy to try.

This one is much tougher !!

6. MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy Enthusiast

i always leave the keys in the car in the garage, but this is why i have a spare key in the house.

7. 01sapphirebob

01sapphirebob Enthusiast

Not pokeing fun at the OP at all but how do you lock the keys in a GEN II. viper?

8. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Viper Owner

I leave the keys in my car in my locked garage. (just makes it easier too many cars/keys) car is never locked somehow this time it is. Also, I often leave the window open in the garage so this wouldn't be an issue even then, but, this time...

Ive gotten answers for a gen 1 and 3 but not a gen 2 yet.

9. am.mscl

am.mscl Viper Owner

Leave them in inside the car with the doors closed and windows up; then disconnect and reconnect the battery or pull certain fuses in the engine bay with the battery connected will do it also. I know about the fuse trick and how to get the car opened back up again!!

10. Fatboy 18

Fatboy 18 Viper Owner

Ive done it twice! :( Both times Ive pulled into a Gas station left the keys in the ignition closed the door and started filling the car with Gas, I went back to open the door and it would not open, the central locking had kicked in and the car had alarmed its self!

The last time it happened, I had to call the wife out with my spare key :(

11. chambers

chambers Enthusiast

Break the door window and reach in to get your keys. :cool: No Seriously....what happen to your second set of keys

12. MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy Enthusiast

i was wondering the same, i leave mine in the garage keys in it, windows up sometimes and never locks.

13. eabrillon1978

eabrillon1978 Viper Owner

I locked my keys in the car once with the car running--I feel your pain!!! If you don't have a spare like I did at the time. You can open the hood, and take off the panel that covers your door hinge, remove it, with a marker or scribe trace around your door hinge and unbolt the door hinges. Your door will open up just enough for you to unlock the door and open it.

Bolt everything back to your reference marks. Adjust if necessary using the towel method. Just a suggestion....

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  14. 01sapphirebob

01sapphirebob Enthusiast

So it seems to be just a glitch unless as mentioned above...leave keys in car, windows up, door closed, disconnect battery. I just always wondered as I have a GEN II and could never figure it out when I see one of these threads how it happens. I could understand the trunk but just never inside the car.

15. Timnineside

Timnineside Viper Owner

16. Timnineside

Timnineside Viper Owner

On a serious note I locked my keys in my GTS 3 times last year. Takes a real idiot to do this. Never again since I started taking the keys out.

17. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Viper Owner

OK, I'm in.

Turns out I didn't lock my keys in the car.....

Keys were in the car just where I said (I could see them)

Doors weren't locked....Battery went dead! So, when I tried to open the door, it acted as if it were locked.

Unfortunately I tried the "disconnect the battery idea" when I re-connected it the alarm activated and now, the doors were locked!

I was able to get in by using a plastic pry bar (Locksmiths use these to hold the glass out) and then reach in and open using the manual latch on the door.

Thanks to those that helped and those that busted my balls. :headbang:

18. Neil - UK

Neil - UK Viper Owner

one of the guys over here hadnt run his GTS for a while, weather was wet so he decided to jack his viper up in his garage and put
    it on axles stands, he started it up, put it in 2nd gear and then got out, idling on 800 revs was just enough to make the doors lock when it hit 15mph

remember the quick call i had, help my cars running on axle stands and i cant open the door !
    he also couldnt find his spare keys :)

19. Steve-Indy

Thanks for the followup...sorry is was such a tough deal.

20. BruceHun

BruceHun Enthusiast

ok, Steve
    My wife's 2002 Viper, has the key in the ignition, and did the "auto lock" ( on a side note person that came up with it should be shot, if I want to lock my car I will lock it why lock it in a garage, $100,000 car, leave it in the street you deserve to have it broken into)
    only have 1 key and 1 security device, HOW DO I UNLOCK IT without damaging it?

21. Steve-Indy

Responded to your email...call me now.

22. DaveGF

DaveGF Enthusiast

There is a non-electrical (mechanical) way that I used once when a woman locked her keys in her Gen II at a race track where I had a race shop. PM me for details.

23. Viper in Fenton

Viper in Fenton Enthusiast

New Viper owner (Gen 3). While working on car and trying to get key fab to open trunk, which wasn't working, I unintentionally locked the doors and set my key in the car, then closed the door a few minutes later. I had the car all of 5 days before this occurred, and had not had a chance to make my spare key. Hoping to get some help on getting into car.

24. Steve-Indy

Call me 317-402-9013..
    There are a couple of ways to solve this.

ViperJeff likes this.