I need a better radio

pedro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg: I have the stander am/fm cd. radio in my 99 gts ***** .Looking for a better radio with Ipod screen .:confused:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always find it amazing that ANYone wants to listen to music in their Vipers!!! I know we have a thread 'who listens to what while driving their Vipers'....but honestly??? We LOVE to listen to the EXHAUST!!!! We probably used the radio twice? In 3 years....but to each their own preferences!!! ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm.....do you have Best Buy near you? Circuit City? The system we have in our '05 is awesome...sorry yours is not a better radio for you. Hope you find what you're looking for...to each their own, right?!! Good luck....~

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always find it amazing that ANYone wants to listen to music in their Vipers!!! I know we have a thread 'who listens to what while driving their Vipers'....but honestly??? We LOVE to listen to the EXHAUST!!!! We probably used the radio twice? In 3 years....but to each their own preferences!!! ~juli

I listen to the radio occasionally, but wonder what does the radio **** compared to? My dad's 5 transistor AM radio from the 60's? OK, the factory Alpine is not top shelf, but it is loud enough to cancel out about anything the car and road offers in contrast.

To the person that wrote the post, how about going to Best Buy or Circuit City and asking them what fits.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listen to the radio occasionally, but wonder what does the radio **** compared to? My dad's 5 transistor AM radio from the 60's? OK, the factory Alpine is not top shelf, but it is loud enough to cancel out about anything the car and road offers in contrast.

To the person that wrote the post, how about going to Best Buy or Circuit City and asking them what fits.

LOL--I just wrote that right before you did, exact same stores!!! Great minds think alike!~! ;) ~juli~

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Jensen DVD/CD/MP3/XM/ipod from Walmart for under $400. Replacing the stock Alpine CD (with amp) and upgraded speakers it sounded as good as the Alpine. With my 01 I'm just upgrading the speakers and the sound is awesome! I recommend the Jensen. It's just too complicated to figure out the controls when you've got 3 other cars you drive with different stereos so I decided to keep the stock stereo this time.

Anything is better than a AM/FM radio. I didn't even know cheap sh-t came in a Viper?

Ted

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '93 has a cassette tape, Fi figure why spend all the money for something I would not use that much. Anyone have any ZZtop on cassettte? LOL

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '93 has a cassette tape, Fi figure why spend all the money for something I would not use that much. Anyone have any ZZtop on cassettte? LOL

Oh, man do I MISS my cassettes....nope, no cassettes any longer, gave them all to the Salvation Army when I got a car that had a CD player...had to start from scratch!!! Make my own CD's like I made my own cassettes, you do that too? ahhhhh....technology....some better, some not!!! ~juli~

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a really nice Alpine CDA 9831 )or some number like that). It is MUCH MUCH better then the stock PO S radio. It has IPOD integration but no fancy flip up screen or anything:(

While your at it, ditch those crap component spekers for some focals and it'll sound 10X's better. I have Focal component speakers, I disconnected the center wanna be sub whatever it's called, and added a footwell 10" Diamond Sub. (I have an RT/10) All connected to a nice new Alpine amp mounted under the Passenger seat, the stock amp is crap also. My system POUNDs out crisp clear music!

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pedro,
I got a Pioneer w Ipod. Upgraded the door speakers with POLK audio components (DB6501). I left the stock amps, stock wires, stock rear speakers. It sounds a lot better. I started it myself and had it finished at circuit city. Bought everything at circuit city, they did a great job. Only one recommendation, ask them to leave the crossover for tweeters on medium, the treble is amazing and almost too crisp on high but you should listen to it before you/they set it to medium or high. Good luck, I am very happy with mine, though it is true that I dont listen to music during spirited driving but I do love great sound when I am cruising in town top down....ahhhh heaven.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the same system as Flash Gordon's! We went driving around last week, and switched up cars. The first thing I noticed, besides how sweet his Viper is, is that his stereo kicked butt.

By the way, I have the Clarion with flip out screen - I ain't too impressed.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest you go to a real audio store, not Best Buy, i bought my head unit there and the couldn't install it, said they would have to run all new wires throughout my whole car for every speaker, so I said screw that. Took it to Custom Sounds and they laughed at the Best Buy installers and had everything installed in a few hours lol

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you dont want to spend alot of money, you will be suprised how much better your system sounds with just a good set of door speakers.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the head unit first. A good head unit will make even stock speakers sound good.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the head unit first. A good head unit will make even stock speakers sound good.

Just put an Alpine CDA9885 in yesterday. Factory speakers remain in the doors, replaced the rears with Alpine components (tossed the tweeters). The new head unit? NOT impressed with the sound improvement at this point. It does have some more adjustments I can make, but is it hundreds of dollars better sound? Having a hard time with that. I will be replacing the factory door speakers as mention in a previous post - the thing to do also. Maybe then, maybe then...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah... The new Alpine head is LOADED with features I'll likely never use. Bluetooth, Sat Radio, iPod, blah blah blah... I'm a CD kind of person, but hey, this one will play MP3's. Soooooooooo, maybe it was worth hundreds. Hmm...

Reaction score
http://pan.fotovista.com/dev/3/2/00016123/g_00016123.jpg

I picked up this one. I love the USB thumb drive / front AUX / IPOD - MP3 / XM radio player access. I load up my USB thumbdrive with a TON of tracks and use that more then any CD or even the XM radio.

SONY CDX-GT410 CD/MP3/USB Car Radio

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/dev/gui_w...oradio_cd_mp3_usb_cdx_gt410_argent_1176394466

Also really cheap by comparison ... about $300 but in the Viper I think it works great. Also as stated before, better AMP and better side door speakers are a must for any good sound.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang