I need to know normal engine temp on SRT-10 (I did a forum search BTW)

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my SRT-10 back after the radiator fan got replaced. All seemed Ok at 200 the first day but now I noticed it getting into the 225-230 range a few minutes ago (the day after getting it back).

What is considered normal? It is well past the halfway point at 225, I would hate to damage the engine.
I live in South Florida and it is a hot day. It jumps up of course standing still and drops just a tad when moving (but still at 225).

I did a forum search under "temperature" and under "temp" and did not find info sorry.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the owners manual says that is ok it is not. In stock form my ran at about 198. There is a 180 degree thermostat kit availble and i run it and my temp is never above 185 even on a 95 degree day. My oil temo just starts to move off of the left mark with the 180 degree thermostat.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
225-230 is high, have it checked soon. Should be 185-205 range( mine gets to 205 with the supercharger and temps in the nineties) :cool:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few facts to help guide you.

First the maximum temperature is related to the maximum cooling capacity. The thermostat only controls the lower point in the operating range. The high point is related to engine heat rejection (note more engine power more heat rejection) and the cooling systems ability to reject that heat to the atmosphere. That is based on the thermal conductivity of the coolant, the coolant velocity, the radiator heat transfer rate and the temperature and velocity of the air past the radiator.

Note at high speeds the air flow is primarily speed related and at lower speeds is primarily fan flow rate related. If you are overheating when at slow speeds the primary cause would probably be fan speed. However, coolant flow rate could also cause it. That could be due to pump issues or restriction related. Another potential cause is a reduction in heat transfer potential. The primary cause for that could be air in the cooling system (more common in Gen I/II).

Note that a change in tstat will not improve your situation. Nor will an earlier fan on point. You need to determine why the heat rejection is lower than normal (I am discounting an increase in heat rejection though that is a low probability - things like cam timing, ignition timing, etc can increase the heat rejection). I would suspect air in the system, a malfunctioning fan module (note it is variable speed) or a coolant flow rate issue (pump or restriction).

I will ignore Robbies comment about engine temperatures and what the engine is capable of. We all know the comment is not based on engineering or science.

my $0.02

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running a 180 degree thermostat with Dan's, from D C Performance, ECM upgrade which turns the fan on at a lower temperture and keeps it running longer. My temperture gauge stays at 185 degrees all the time, once the engine is up to temperture, and does not waver even when the outside temperture is 95 degrees. My oil temperture gauge just starts to move if I am running the A/C which has no affect on mt engine temperture since Dan has reprogramed my ECM and I have installed the 180 degree thwrmostat. These are the facts and if you do not believe them you are welcome to come out here and drive the car so you will see for yourself that what I have said here is correct. I do not understand what I said above that upset you, GR8 ASP so, Ron, lets stop all this stupid name calling as remember why we own Vipers. that is to enjoy them. Robbie

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie that only means the cooling system capacity is more than your heat rejection, thus the operating temperature is just above the tstat opening point.

What you do not understand is the ISSUE stated in this post was an overheat condition. A lower tstat or fan on point will not fix it (unless the tstat itself is defective). I was trying to offer help as to the overheat cause. I could not care less about what your car is doing.

As to a stock Gen III the operating temp should be between 195 and 210 most of the time. On the track with a Paxton I do not exceed those temps. If it goes higher something is wrong. Not with the design but with the hardware. Or possibly air in the system, especially since the radiator was just changed.

Just try to keep it on topic and people will not be iritated so much.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8ASP is correct,what control the max temp of the cooling system is the BTU's (British Thermal Unit) capacity of the cooling system, not your T-stat that only regulate the minimum temp.

That your cooling system is able to maintain 185* only show that the system has enough BTU's capacity is to deal with the thermal load that the it face, and mostly due to the fan running a lot more than B4.

BTW, 185* is a little bit on the too cold side and could cost you some HP, all modern engines are designed put out the max horsepower in a pretty narrow temperature range,usully pretty close from the thermostat rating.

Luc. 00GTS

OP
OP
MK2_Viper

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am done with the techs at the Dodge dealership. I am taking the car Monday to Doug Levin in Florida (Viper Tuner) , I will get a Corsa exhaust installed while it is there and also headers and airbox work .

BTW he thinks it is air in the system.

If it is air in the system, is that a relatively easy thing to fix?

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I concur fully with GR8 ASP. This obviously is not a stat issue. Most likely air in the system as both GR8 and Doug suspect. Air in the system is fairly easy to do. The system just needs to be burped. Doug is MORE than capable of handling this. Great choice in tuners.

Add this to the long list of things automotive that FatHo Racing has no clue about, unfortunately lack of knowledge does not stop him from opining.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add this to the long list of things automotive that FatHo Racing has no clue about, unfortunately lack of knowledge does not stop him from opining.

Sadly, too true. :(

Fortunately we have intelligent factual responses from members like GR8 ASP to offer help without any thought of compensation other than personal satisfaction. Don't let FatHo keep getting away with it. I personally think his comments are at best distracting. Maybe VCA will offer him his own forum where he can opine to his hearts content and who knows, could have a popular draw?

Larry

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry GR8, you are quite correct that I should have stayed the line as to why he is overheating. Again, I was wrong and I am sorry.
Robbie

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2000gts, Jon B and other members suspected air in the system. Job B posted step by step on how to burpe the system. Did it step by step and it worked GREAT!!. I printed it out so I have for future reference. Without the VCA and its Knowlegable members, I would have taken the car to the dealer and spent money, that I now spent on other mods :2tu: . Atro I haven't been a VCA member that long, but since being on the board, I have noticed everything you post, someone has to correct you, plus everything you post you also try to sell something within that post. Almost like a subliminal message. Also after someone corrects your mistake, you always reply SORRY. Well instead of SORRY'S all the time, maybe you should study up on the viper from head to toe. .02

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: I need to know normal engine temp on SRT-10 (I did a forum search BTW)

MK2 Viper,

I'll use the gage as a reference.

When stock, normal operating temp on my 04 was about 200 F on a warm day (85 and up here in so Cal) according to the gage. In light traffic at speed on a cooler day (70 and below here), it will go down to about the 180 on the gage.

It can go up as high at 205 in traffic, stop and go with A/C on. As the guys said above, you may have bubbles in your cooling system. Burp it.

Also, you may have picked up something in the area in front of the radiator. I have picked up debris a couple of times. You should check this area and make sure it's clean.

Something is not right. My car has never exceeded 205 on the gage during street driving, even now with the supercharger and 530 ci.

Good luck,

Dan

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

unless you live in a col state, just drill a couple of 1/4 inch holes in the T-stat.

That will help you run cooler, but not so cool that you will stay in open-loop.

More tried and proven hot roddin'...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

QUOTE unless you live in a col state, just drill a couple of 1/4 inch holes in the T-stat.

That will help you run cooler, but not so cool that you will stay in open-loop.

More tried and proven hot roddin'...

How is that going to solve his problem? Gr8 has already explained that the thermostat is not his problem therefore drill holes in it will do nothing to cure his problem.

From the above posts we all know that he has a problem that needs fixing as he is running way to hot. He said that the dealer installed a new radiator fan installed so I would be looking in that area. I have to wonder if the dealer got some dirt or foreign matter into the hydraulic lines or fan motor when he had it apart that might be restricting the flow of hydraulic oil in to or from the fan.

Also mentioned above is that fact that he may have air in his system which is quite likely as I had that problem after changing my thermostat. The service manual says you need to drain the system from the draincock on the radiator and they say to be sure to OPEN THE VENT ON THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING BEFORE REFILLING WITH COOLANT. It says to very slowly refill the system until a steady stream of antifreeze runs out of the vent. They also say that not doing so will trap air in the system which is then very hard to get out. I would not be surprised if they did not due this as how many of them read the service manual before doing a job, much less own one.

Quote by ViperX = "Also, you may have picked up something in the area in front of the radiator. I have picked up debris a couple of times. You should check this area and make sure it's clean." This has been a big problem on my car during the fall months when the leaves are falling off the tree. If you open the bonnet and lift the rubber flap that goes over the radiator you most likely will find a ton of debris between the down there that blocks the radiator. My temps would start to rise as just got pushed in there.I bought a real skinny vacuum to get it out. I wish someone made a grill insert for the car like the ones on the Jags.
Robbie

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Oh I didn't read any of that... I assummed it was just a question of how to get the car to run a little cooler.

I've run "watter-wetter" in other cars and it helped as well. But you obviously have a bigger problem

A-clogged radiator/cooling system
b-wrong mixture anti-freeze/water (too much A.F.)
c-fan not working (we know now it isn't this)
d-defective waterpump.

has to be one of those....

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote: "Oh I didn't read any of that... I assummed it was just a question of how to get the car to run a little cooler."

Zorro, that statement sounds just like what you have been accusing me of my friend but I have class enough not to rub it in your face for the next year.
Robbie

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote: "Oh I didn't read any of that... I assummed it was just a question of how to get the car to run a little cooler."

Zorro, that statement sounds just like what you have been accusing me of my friend but I have class enough not to rub it in your face for the next year.
Robbie

No, but the constant statement of "look at me, I have class" is about as classy as grabing the waitresses ass at a state dinner.

btw there is no need for us to drag out old material, youre kind enough to give us some fresh new stuff with nearly every single post. The barage of ridicule will stop when your incessant misinformation stops. Be that from a lack of posting alltogether (the prefered method) or you actually take the time to educate yourself.

But as long as you keep telling people they need a **** welded in their exhaust to run an O2 simm, the future looks bleak on your part.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote = "But as long as you keep telling people they need a **** welded in their exhaust to run an O2 simm, the future looks bleak on your part. "

Now you are doing just what you told me not to do on these posts, change the subject. learn to read, I said O@ sensors aAs I quoted dagger before" I am done with you" I will never never again respond to any of your childish comments and sucker shots form you three again. Just in case you do not know who you are let bme remind you, Zorrooespanol, Rogue, and Kinny. I refuse to lower myself to your standards. good day.
Robbie

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just so the three of you totally understand, As I quoted dagger before" I am done with you" I will never never again respond to any of your childish comments and sucker shots form you three again. Just in case you do not know who you are let bme remind you, Zorrooespanol, Rogue, and Kinny. I refuse to lower myself to your standards. good day.
Robbie

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

just so the three of you totally understand, As I quoted dagger before" I am done with you" I will never never again respond to any of your childish comments and sucker shots form you three again. Just in case you do not know who you are let bme remind you, Zorrooespanol, Rogue, and Kinny. I refuse to lower myself to your standards. good day.
Robbie

Why, WHY do you have to post the same thing in 10 different threads?? OK, we get it.. so SHUT UP *****.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Robbie

Big difference in not reading something, as to not knowing what the heck I am talking about... that is the difference between anyone here and YOU.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456