I never thought I would say this,

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but it looks like the Viper may have an equal or better in the C6 Z06. Remembering how my 02 Z06 felt around Mid Ohio compared to my 00GTS I can only speculate the new Z is going to be quite a challenge to outdo. I am particularly impressed with the aluminum and magnesium frame. I really like the idea of using aluminum in place of steel. If the new GTS retains the steel frame and 500 hp engine I am not sure I would spend the speculated extra $10-15k vs the Z06. I would think that the new GTS would be closer to the $75000 mark since it does need all the trappings of a convertable. I hope Dodge makes a serious effort to keep the Viper AHEAD of the Z06. More HP, less weight (aluminum and composites), and a competitive pricing structure.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my god... get lost... seriously. Nobody saw that car (not speaking about driving it) yet it is 'seriously competitive and better'... Yes, z06 will be lighter then SRT - well it's not cvt and base vette is lighter too. But the weight itself does not make a car better or worse. Otherwise folks at mercedes could close the shop with their SL65. Please stop speculations on z06, it's really irritating to read about it, even reading the thread title...

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
madman, how many times have you driven a Z06 or even a vette ******* track. The old Z06 was no slouch. With 500 hp the old Z06 would match our Vipers step for step. I see no reason for the new one to lower the bar. So OMG... get lost... or get some experience with both cars in a performance setting before your yap flaps.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice response, madman.

Same HP and Less weight. ALuminum Frame equals more structural rigidity and bigger brakes. Yeah the Z06 will handle like crap.

Weight is the enemy of sports cars. Period.

The original Viper was lighter than the Corvette in 1992. The SL65 weighs over 2 tons because it is a Luxury/Sporty GT- Not a sports car - it doesn't even have a manual transmission option, and it has a Retractable hardtop that probably adds 500lbs.

It's funny because DC - said maker of the 4200lb SL65- has not trimmed down the Viper as GM did with the Corvette when the C5 was introduced.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice response, madman.

Same HP and Less weight. ALuminum Frame equals more structural rigidity and bigger brakes. Yeah the Z06 will handle like crap.

The original Viper was lighter than the Corvette in 1992. The SL65 weighs over 2 tons because it is a Luxury/Sporty GT- Not a sports car - it doesn't even have a manual transmission option, and it has a Retractable hardtop that probably adds 500lbs.

It's funny because DC - said maker of the 4200lb SL65- has not trimmed down the Viper as GM did with the Corvette when the C5 was introduced.

What is the weight of the C6 Z06? I,ve read from under 3000lbs to over 3300lbs.
No one seems to know for sure.
GM has shown a tendency to over-emphasize performance on their new cars. The new C6 (non-Z06) performance numbers aren't that impressive.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice response, madman.

What is the weight of the C6 Z06? I,ve read from under 3000lbs to over 3300lbs.
No one seems to know for sure.
GM has shown a tendency to over-emphasize performance on their new cars. The new C6 (non-Z06) performance numbers aren't that impressive.
6041NV4.jpg

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How dare you start a thread infering that the new Z06 is going to be a better car! How dare you speculate about the new Z06 because it hasn't been released yet because everyone here knows there are concrete numbers on a new SRT coupe :rolleyes:

For track rats not able to attain a comp coupe the Z06 is going to be a much better alternative to an SRT-10 simply because of it's roof. The new coupe will be for those wanting to spend the extra $$ for an equal car performance wise with a V-10 provided the h.p. doesn't change.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO......I can't believe DC will LOWER the price....even IF is costs less to manufacture

I would think that the new GTS would be closer to the $75000 mark since it does need all the trappings of a convertable.

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price "ack, gag" is not really the issue. To quote an old phrase, make it faster, stonger, (lighter). If the price is equal and the engines stay the same I would go for the Viper. I would get the Z06 if the Viper is 10 grand more unless the Viper gets lighter and more power. I know we give the Vette owners sh*t about having traction control and active handling, but it is a plus for the majority of weekend track warriors. I know a lot of people hate the speculation, but look at the known fact. The "old Z06" runs with us regularly and does very well with 405 hp. Give the "old" Z06 95hp more and imagine how it would do, nuff said.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... The "old Z06" runs with us regularly and does very well with 405 hp. Give the "old" Z06 95hp more and imagine how it would do, nuff said.

Tac got one...needs more than 95hp to close the gap this I know and then there's the suspension and braking components to get on par with the SRT-10.
That said, glad the General has raised the bar on the latest Z06 as I think I'll be snapping one up to play with the Snake.
Sure would be nice if they offered a drop top version though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_