iHeart Radio in a Gen2

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that I am occasionally using the stereo in my GTS with the increased number of events that have been popping up. In my daily drivers I refuse to pay for satellite radio and I am in a remote area of NJ where I get bad reception. I just use the iHeart radio app on my Droid in my daily drivers because the radios have the aux jack. What's the easiest way to do this with the stock Gen2 stereo ?

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool.... My thread came in handy!

Actually... Yes. This would work. The unit does come with an aux jack to use any device. So if you have iHeart on any android device it will. Work perfectly.

BTW, on a separate note... I added GPS functionality to the Gen2 using he same device! When you connect the iPad to the iPhone connector (third gen or "new" iPad in my case) you can use the GPS on the iPad and all the navigation prompts will play through the radio. Real nice! 10 inch display!

I mounted the iPad with a gooseneck mount that ties into the seat bolt. Basically you loosen the front bolt on the seat rail of the passenger seat, insert the gooseneck and re-tighten the bolt. The top of he gooseneck is a ball joint so you have a great deal of flexibility on the position. I literally just installed it tonight, so I have not even gotten a photo. Works awesome and you can use it to play music as well. The best thing... They make months for all the Apple toys and many other devices. The company that makes it is "Arkon". Just google it. $29.99.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping that I could do something without removing the stereo. I wonder what a car stereo shop would charge to do this.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you going to keep the stock Radio, Luisv's solution is the best.. You can try to use the FM tuner style without it being in line with the antenna but they are useless and you wont be happy with the results... Luisv's instruction are very straight forward and if I was going to do anything, that would be it.. You can call a stereo shop and see how much, cant imagine it would be that expensive..

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping that I could do something without removing the stereo. I wonder what a car stereo shop would charge to do this.

It really is not that big a deal to install. However, if you don't feel comfortable, you can have a good installer do it. I can't imagine they would charge more than $100 to do it. It can't take hem more than 2 hours to do it. That's how long it took me...

If you going to keep the stock Radio, Luisv's solution is the best.. You can try to use the FM tuner style without it being in line with the antenna but they are useless and you wont be happy with the results... Luisv's instruction are very straight forward and if I was going to do anything, that would be it.. You can call a stereo shop and see how much, cant imagine it would be that expensive..

Dave... Agree 1,000%. The hard wire solution into the antenna is the ONLY way to go on the stock head unit. The sound is ideal. Yes, you have to switch the unit on and off, but the sound is simply awesome and it keeps the interior stock. No new radio, nothing shows.

Helo Steve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LuisV,

Your thread came in very handy! Was the first of very few things I did to my car. Install was a breeze even though it took me a long time because I go super slow (bad habit of snapping plastic bits). Sound quality is GREAT and I listen to music from my iPhone or from iheartradio. If you have an iPhone 5, you need to buy a 30 pin to lightning connector to make it work.

Thanks!

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to hit the local car stereo place and have this done. I'll probably have some new speakers installed too.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LuisV,

Your thread came in very handy! Was the first of very few things I did to my car. Install was a breeze even though it took me a long time because I go super slow (bad habit of snapping plastic bits). Sound quality is GREAT and I listen to music from my iPhone or from iheartradio. If you have an iPhone 5, you need to buy a 30 pin to lightning connector to make it work.

Thanks!

Awesome! Did not know there was an adapter for the new lightning adapter. I did find there was a converter from the 30 pin to a standard small stereo jack. With that I can use Android or the Apple devices with the one connector.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited: