IL - Let's Drive - Sept 27

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking advantage of the last few *good weather* weekends - anyone interested in a drive? No cruise level planning required - just pick a place to meet for lunch and drive :drive:

The below link has a few good drives listed.

Illinois Motorcycle Roads

I know there is a fall cruise coming up - but figured why not check if there is any interest. Weather is a perfect 76 degrees. So, any interest?

Anil.

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, what about you? Would Sunday work for you? Ron [autowerks] is interested in joining us as well.

Adam & Angela, what about you guys?

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Sunday is a better day for most - so far. Any ideas on where we want to meet for lunch and the route to drive?

Nice clear day on Sunday as well.

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you guys thinking of driving to/eatting at? Right now, Adam is feeling a litle bit under the weather. But, he might feel better by tomorrow. We may/may not be able to go-depending on how he feels by tonight. So, if you guys have a game plan-let me know and I will be able to give ya an answer by tonight!

Angela

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My son has a game but at 10 am and would be available to meet up after. Sunday works good for me.

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet! Sunday it is then.

So far we have:
my viper
radta7
yogibayer
wastntim
adam & angela [tentative]

I will check with Ron if Sunday works for him

Below are some scenic routes - has anyone driven them before? What would be the central place for us to meet? I am located in Schaumburg and Rob [radta7] is in Roselle.

Northwest Hills

Click on route number for more information and map.
SR 2 - Rockford to Dixon - 42 miles - "Great ride with woods, rocks, and views of the river."
US 20 - East Dubuque to Rockford - 92 miles - "The best part of this ride is between Stockton and Galena."
CR 4 - Scales Mound to Elizabeth - 14 miles - Elizabeth-Scales Mound Road - "...fast sweepers and elevation changes."
Blackjack Road - Galena to Hanover - 15 miles - CR 8 - "...loose gravel and sealer on the part of the road nearest to Galena."
Lowell Park Road - Mount Morris to Stratford - 7 miles - "Short but sweet ride."
Scenic Ridge Road - Elizabeth to Savanna - 18 miles - "This amazing...road is at the top of my list..."
Schapville & Scout Camp Roads - Scales Mound to Woodbine - 13 miles - "...extremely fun and scenic ride."
Stagecoach Trail - Galena to Lena - 38 miles - "Passes through small, sleepy, all-American towns..."
Chicago Metro Area

Click on route number for more information and map.
SR 22 - Fox River Grove to Lincolnshire - 17 miles - "...it’s almost completely strait..."
SR 25 - North Aurora to St. Charles - 11 miles - "Short but nice ride along the Fox River."
US 20 - Pingree Grove to Cherry Valley - 37 miles - "...great straight aways, some corners..."
US 45 - Greenfield, Wisconsin to Mundelein - 51 miles - "Great ride on the Wisconsin side."
Green Bay Road - Racine, Wisconsin to Lake Bluff - 34 miles - "A quieter 2 lane ride..."
Sheridan Road - Lake Bluff to Evanston - 21 miles - "...runs past some of the most expensive residential real estate in the Midwest..."

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunday sounds good. My only opinion on route is that the more neutral North - South the better as I am starting out in Orland Park which is 45 minutes southwest of the city.

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Below is the route our folks took when they went to starved rock. This would be a good drive. Takes about 2 hrs to get there from Schaumburg - if this is where we decide on going, what time should be leave? Any suggestions on a meeting place?

Starved Rock Fall Cruise - October 14, 2006
The week of the cruise started off as rainy and cold. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday temperatures reached the 30s and even a trace of snow in the air. The weather forecast said that the front would pass by late Thursday, and that Friday and Saturday would be sunny and mild.
You must be registered for see images
On Saturday, October 14, the sun rose to a cloudless sky with the temperature in the 30s and predicted to rise into the 50s. Vipers from northern Illinois and Wisconsin roared to our meeting point which was the McDonalds on Weber Road. Saturday morning was busy at McDonalds, and it was hard to find parking spaces for 19 Vipers.
At 9:40, the cars left and entered I-55 heading southwest. That number of Vipers was quite a sight for the oncoming traffic.
Because we wished not to make the entire trip on the interstate, we turned off on US 6 and headed west. At this intersection, three more Vipers joined the procession. The 22 Vipers made their way through the farm towns of Channahon, Morris, Seneca, Marseilles, and Ottawa. Turning on to State Route 71 in Ottawa, we proceeded to the south entrance of Starved Rock. This leg of the journey was most scenic as we traveled along the Illinois River. The road twisted and turned through the woodlands of vibrant fall colors. Upon arrival, we parked in the lodge parking lot where we were joined by another Viper from the Quad Cities.
A buffet lunch awaited us in the lodge where old friendships were renewed and new friendships were made. Our view was the Starved Rock and Illinois River.
After lunch we reassembled in the parking lot and drove our Vipers down the winding hill to the lower parking lot by the boat dock, while Judy purchased the tickets for the river cruise, Jim collected the people for a group photo. A member of the riverboat staff volunteered to take the photo.
We boarded the Belle of the Rock for a 45-minute cruise on the Illinois River. The riverlorian explained landmarks along the way and also some folklore about the river. Although the sun was shining brightly, there was a cold wind on the river which made couples cuddle together.
You must be registered for see images
It was determined that not everyone was in the first group photo, so Jim announced to the group that another photo would be taken when we disembarked. Again, the young lady from the boat staff was there to take our photo. At this point, the individual Vipers could leave for home or hike the trails, visit the gift shops and Visitors Center. This ended the cruise as the cars left for I-80 and the trip home

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, being in Plainfield, you are en route [kinda] to starved rock for us. US 6 is further south on 55 from you. Is there a place around 55 that you can suggest as the location to meet? It would be best to pick a place there as it works out for Robert too.

I've been to starved rock before but never had lunch there. Do you guys want to check out the restaurant there?

The only issue I see is with Rob's schedule. He said his son has a game at 10. Rob, let us know how we can work this out.

Angela, sorry, I forgot where you are from? Is this plan okay with you and Adam? If you have to drive past Schaumburg, the three of us [including Rob] can meet somewhere here before we head south.

I still need to check with Ron.

Anybody else?

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hello:
Okay,
This is the PLAN: 10 am

Meet at LIFETIME FITTNESS:
1220 Lakeview Drive
Romeoville,IL 60446 Please click on map
[media]http://www.lifetimefitness.com/uploads/clubs/club_maps/w_romeoville.gif[/media]

55 to Weber Rd. (from north- take a right at light at Weber Rd). Then take another right at Lakeview Dr. You can see Lifetime Fitness from 55 (very big place!)

After we all meet there, we will cruise :drive:to Starved Rock. Plan on eating breakfast before you leave to meet us at Lifetime Fitness. We plan on stopping for lunch:meal: together somewhere near Starved Rock.
Any questions please send me a pm. Or if you have any suggestions for lunch near Starved Rock.
:thankyou: (See ya tomorrow at 10am!!):nana:

Angela
oh yeah! and Adam, too!!
:lmao:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am bringing a couple talkabout walkie talkies. If you have any bringem it can make talking between cars easier.

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for checking on the location and providing directions, Adam and Angela. Ron cannot make it tomorrow. Have not heard from Rob or few others that I sent PM's to. Either way, we are on.

See you guys tomorrow at 10.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, my game started at 10 and we just got back. Looks like you all have left already.

Damn! Next time!

See you Weds!

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a great time! Thanks, Anil for setting this up :). Robert, thanks for leading :drive:, zoom-zoom! See you all on Wed!
:2tu:

Angela & Adam

OP
OP
my viper

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun times indeed. Perfect weather. Please post pics when possible.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good job on the idea Anil and great organizing Angela. I'm always willing to put the gas pedal down just a bit, ok maybe more than just a bit.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62